Do you guys use a snake to FOH setup?

guitarguy19

• Members

For years, even with a sound man for many of them, we've been setting our board up near the side of the stage. In 2013 one of our goals is to get a snake and set up a real FOH for our sound man to run. But my question is, for those of you with a setup like this, how do you handle stages that are centrally located, ie you wouldn't be able to run the snake along a wall out to your FOH location you'd be obligated to cross a walk space...

Maybe this is also a well-suited question for the pro audio forum. rolleyes.gif

• Members

Many venues have permanent hooks to hang the snake over doorways and/or out to the mix position. I used to carry some screw hooks to put up in the old days and would just leave them for the next time and/or for others to use (they are cheap enough). I also carry a couple cable ramp sections but those aren't all that effective frown.gif . Now I have a mixer with wireless iPad support biggrin.gif . Anybody local want a snake cheap? icon_lol.gif

• Members

We use giant spring-loaded s-hooks to hang the snake cable from pipes, etc. - whatever may be overhead.

We also have a 3' x 5' rubber-backed industrial carpet like stores use at their entryways. We'll use this to cover the snake if it needs to be on the floor. It doesn't entirely eliminate the trip hazard, but it helps reduce it quite a bit.

• Members

If we have to cross a doorway, we try to hang the snake above the door by tying it and taping it to whatever we can. If we can't hang it above the doorway, we'll duct-tape the hell out of it across the walk area and hopefully be able to put a rug over it.

If we can't do that to satisfaction, we'll run it from the side of the stage. Our sound guy will often put a monitor with the FOH mix facing him there.

• Members

It's also not that tough to mix from a side position out front rather than directly in the center of the room. That way, you only have the snake running down one wall. Whatever you choose to do, cover the snake at any point it becomes a trip hazard. Rubber ramps are great, industrial carpet runners work well too.

I actually prefer to be against or near a wall, It can make mixing a bit more challenging. Reflections usually require walking the room a bit. By being near a wall, it eliminates foot traffic on at least one side of me. Being in the center of the room seems to invite people to flock to your location.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
Duct Tape = Polish Chrome biggrin.gif
Yep.

There are some "best practices" ways of using duct tape to be safe and secure. The one basic one I learned... let me see if I can verbalize it.

Let's say you have to go cross a door threshold. Stand on the snake at one side of the door, past the jam, then stretch the snake to the other side and stand on that. Run a piece cross the snake maybe 8" to hold it. Now really stretch the snake with the other foot, tight. Run another piece cross the snake at the other end to secure. You should have a tight run.

Start running tape lengthwise to secure your taught run. Don't be afraid to use a lot of tape, though you can really learn to do runs with not much but well placed. The idea is to get a tight, direct, flat route fro a to b. Long runs can be handled in this same length of work, just repeat as needed. Section by section.

If done well, it isn't a hazard. You have a nice smooth threshold with a gradual bump that is easily negotiated by foot traffic.

And of course, always fly if you can.

• Members

I'll just add my long-standing thought on duct tape:

Don't use it.
Ever.
Unless you're actually working on ducts.

No self-respecting musician should ever be caught dead with duct tape.
Unless, again, you're actually working on ducts.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by joshmac View Post
I use a black tape similar to duct tape. It works well and leaves no residue, is not noticeable
Would that be gaffer's/gaff tape?

Congrats. You're using the right tool for the job...and oddly, IME, one of the very few who do.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
I'll just add my long-standing thought on duct tape:

Don't use it.
Ever.
Unless you're actually working on ducts.

No self-respecting musician should ever be caught dead with duct tape.
Unless, again, you're actually working on ducts.
How do you feel about gaffer's tape?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
I always thought it was simply black duct tape. Does duct tape have to be silver?

We use the black stuff. Copious amounts sometimes. Whatever that stuff is called.
Gaffer's tape is not simply black "duct tape." IME, real gaffer's tape uses a much finer grade of cotton fabric than does duct tape. The fabric uses a finer weave of thinner threads. Gaffer's tape tears more cleanly and neatly. Gaffer's tape is not conductive, as it is cotton-based, without aluminum fibers sometimes found in duct tape. Gaffer's tape has a matt finish, unlike duct tape (irrespective of the color). I've seen gaffer's tape (and its narrow sibling, spike tape) in more than a dozen colors.

Real gaffer's tape uses a very different adhesive than what is used on all the "duct tape" I've used. (I haven't used every brand and grade of duct tape that is made, hence my qualified statement.) IME, quality gaffer's tape does not use as "gooey" an adhesive as found in duct tape. Accordingly, gaffer's tape does not leave as much glue residue when removed. I also believe that gaffer's tape has superior holding power for the many on-stage applications I use it for.

Real gaffer's tape also costs about $12 to $20 a roll, depending on source, quality, and quantity purchased.

Mark C.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Gaffers tape = tape that is designed by "Gaffers", aka guys on film sets that do nothing but electrical work.

The tape is designed to hold wires and cables to floors and walls without leaving residue which in the film business is costly to remove in labor and time.

Gaffers tape is the courteous tape to use when playing out. It's easier to use and doesn't leave glue all over the venue.

USE GAFFERS TAPE.

• Members

Gaffer tape user here. No residue is nice. One thought here, when you rip off a piece of tape from the roll, make sure you fold the end of the remaining tape on the roll, because once it's flat on the roll, it can be a real bitch to find the end of the tape. Even if you scrape your thumbnail slowly along the surface, it's hard to find that "end". On a roll that's perfectly round, it might be a bit easier,,, but if the roll's been dropped a few times, good luck with that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

I'm still scratching my head at having a separate soundperson and still running sound from stage.

It's pretty common at weddings, private parties, etc to have to mix side-stage. There's often just no way you can run a snake and/or set up a table for FOH. This is the #1 reason I bought my DL1608 biggrin.gif .

• Members

Alright people... calm down, I think you a little over exaggerate...
I am a hardcore fan of beatles... what I know, is that if you were a real beatles fan, you wouldnt talk like this... But you know what? I wont delete this post, its my right to write here whatever I want

So what I gonna do now, is to create more music and post it here and you uprkdarwolf, you can get pssed off until next year good luck

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

I'm still scratching my head at having a separate soundperson and still running sound from stage.

It's not practical to set up a mixing board out in the middle of a room--or even off to the side for a lot of private events. They just don't want that setup messing with the visual of how they've designed the room for their event. So in such cases, the soundguy will set up off to the side and do the best he can by roaming the room. Most of the times these days we're using a Presonus mixer, so we're setting it up on the side of the stage anyway and the sound guy is mixing out in the room using an iPad, but sometimes we have to do the same thing with the analog mixer as well. Not ideal, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
It's not practical to set up a mixing board out in the middle of a room--or even off to the side for a lot of private events. They just don't want that setup messing with the visual of how they've designed the room for their event. So in such cases, the soundguy will set up off to the side and do the best he can by roaming the room. Most of the times these days we're using a Presonus mixer, so we're setting it up on the side of the stage anyway and the sound guy is mixing out in the room using an iPad, but sometimes we have to do the same thing with the analog mixer as well. Not ideal, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
We're buying a StudioLive 16.4.2 literally tomorrow. All very excited about the upgrade. Question Dave, do you need a computer to utilize the wireless mixing features using an iPad or whatever? I know you need a wireless router, but I'm not sure if a laptop is also required to set that interface up...? We'll eventually be utilizing a laptop anyway for recording and stuff...but I'm not sure if we'll also have to have it to make all of the wireless features available..

I can totally imagine not being able to setup a FOH at every event or wedding...there just may not be a good way to do it. You're not gonna run a snake across the banquet hall floor (taped securely or not) and have Grandma take a spill. That would liven up the evening. facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post
We're buying a StudioLive 16.4.2 literally tomorrow. All very excited about the upgrade. Question Dave, do you need a computer to utilize the wireless mixing features using an iPad or whatever? I know you need a wireless router, but I'm not sure if a laptop is also required to set that interface up...? We'll eventually be utilizing a laptop anyway for recording and stuff...but I'm not sure if we'll also have to have it to make all of the wireless features available..

I can totally imagine not being able to setup a FOH at every event or wedding...there just may not be a good way to do it. You're not gonna run a snake across the banquet hall floor (taped securely or not) and have Grandma take a spill. That would liven up the evening. facepalm.gif
Yes, you need a computer with FireWire if you want to use an iPad for control (I've been using a SL16.4.2 for years).

Archived