Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you find other players

Craigslist is pretty lame around here. I tried out for a few bands that were pretty bad and declined. Would you play with a less than stellar band to get out there and try to network and work your way up to a better situation or wait for the right band before you dive in?
    Good deals with - Psyandy(TGP),bluejazzoid(TGP)Psh511(TGP)LesterColl ector(TGP) dustman283(HC),kfiggy(HC),guitaraddict1(HC),roodbo y(RT),
    Drucifer(RT) Velocity (Kramer forum) NickPierro. Ebay name is AllthestuffIdontneed with over 345 positive transactions

Definitely take what you can get and work your way up. It's not romance, it's business.
    Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

Whenever I find myself with time/desire to be playing and no band/project to play with - I start beating the bushes (Craigslist, music stores, hitting the local live entertainment joints) to see what opportunities I can develop. Then I go with whatever I figure presents the best opportunity at the time.

I have some very basic minimal requirements - i.e., my potential bandmates need to be marginally competent (i.e., if I say it's an <insert chord name here> chord - they don't give me the deer in the headlights look), there's no obvious drug/alcohol dependency issues, etc. - and that they're reasonably punctual and willing to work.

Even if the band ain't great - it doesn't matter. I ain't marrying 'em - I'm just trying to make a little music. When something opportunities present themselves - I evaluate them as they come.

I see little sense in setting the bar real high - while dismissing lessor opportunities and sitting home - if/when nothing hits the bar.
      The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
      www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
      Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
      Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

I'd get out there and network if the band wasn't so bad that I could barely stand to play with them. If you're gonna wait for the right band, no reason you can't do it while being 'out there' as opposed to just sitting at home. The right band is going to come along any SLOWER by you being out there and might come along quicker.
        https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
        http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

This may or may not work for you, but I had all kinds of false starts with Craigslist until I tried to start my own project. Twice, actually. One was a fusion trio; the other a large format soul band. In both cases, I made some connections with more compatible players than when I simply answered ads. The soul band attracted one player who turned out to be the leader of the group I'm with now. His keyboard player left town, and he liked what I was trying to do, professionally and musically. Dumb luck, maybe, but it worked for me.

Comment

It's a tough crossroads to be at. I tried the CL and Bandmix route earlier this year to expand my network and see if I could find some local players for my new project. I interacted with some only on-line and a couple I actually played some songs with but ended up going out of my area to source players. I thought long and hard about still keeping some ties to these local players but their lack of talent, experience and the like finally made me make the decision that playing with these induviduals would do me more harm than good. By that I mean both reputation and my frustration level. I will add that one of them has some real potential and I think there is a possibility of a long term gel to another project. I think you did the right thing by declining.
            Signature?

Comment

I hang out with a bunch of musicians, so it's never been hard for me to find someone - except singers. We've held auditions and seem to never find someone with a good voice.

A friend of mine plays in jazz band with 2 female Brazilian singers. They're excellent. If I had enough money, I'd take a recruiting trip to Brazil.
              Gear: buncha stuff and a couple bazilion cables

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
                View Post

This may or may not work for you, but I had all kinds of false starts with Craigslist until I tried to start my own project... In both cases, I made some connections with more compatible players than when I simply answered ads.

I want to disagree with you; in theory, the world would be a better place if more people answered ads, and were willing to hitch on to someone else's vision. However, I've built my most successful, satisfying, and functional band by putting up my own ad, finding a right-hand man, and building from contacts from there.

Quote Originally Posted by bruto
                View Post

If I had enough money, I'd take a recruiting trip to Brazil.

Right. "Recruiting".

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Monkey
                  View Post

I want to disagree with you; in theory, the world would be a better place if more people answered ads, and were willing to hitch on to someone else's vision. However, I've built my most successful, satisfying, and functional band by putting up my own ad, finding a right-hand man, and building from contacts from there.

I agree with you in theory. Thing is, there are a lot of lurkers who read CL ads who are more like you than the ones who actually post. You get them to come out of the woodwork by describing a well thought out project.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
                    View Post

I agree with you in theory. Thing is, there are a lot of lurkers who read CL ads who are more like you than the ones who actually post. You get them to come out of the woodwork by describing a well thought out project.

When I re-read your post, you mentioning a soul band reminded me that my current band is the not the first band I tried to start thru Craigslist. I put up a vague, mushy ad looking for guys who wanted to join a soul band, and I got one responder who didn't return my calls after the initial meetup. Using what I learned from that ad, I put together this band--clear, realistic goals, straight-ahead description of myself and the project (none of the "electro-folk funk" type mashup terms that don't actually mean anything), and the levels of my commitment (how often to practice and gig, how "big" I'm willing to get, etc.). "Describing a well thought out project", in your words, is the way to go.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoast123
                      View Post

...I thought long and hard about still keeping some ties to these local players but their lack of talent, experience and the like finally made me make the decision that playing with these induviduals would do me more harm than good. By that I mean both reputation and my frustration level.

Yeah--I also have to somewhat disagree with the advice to hook onto some specific band just to "get out there" and "network." If you're stuck in one band, you're just hanging out with those specific guys, and if the band sucks, you're associated with them. Keep auditioning with as many projects as you can, even if it doesn't seem like a great fit. I've gone to some sucky auditions where there's a telepathic "we should be doing something together" with one of the other players. Grab their info and build it that way. And don't bother with open mics. Waste of time.

OP, I'm also in PA and I agree it seems like a wasteland (not sure where you are but I'm talking Philly area), but there are good players out there. You just have to find out who they are and sidle up.
                      Band

Comment

First time poster here.

I placed the following ad on CL and got only one response. He basically said:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by sk5223
                          View Post

I placed the following ad on CL and got only one response. He basically said:
                          The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
                          www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                          Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
                          Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

open mics, bulletin boards at music stores, local papers, craigslist, friends of friends

Comment

What are you hauling that weighs that much?? I haul a tonewheel spinet organ, an 88-key keyboard, old-ass 15" keyboard amp, a four-foot-high Leslie, cables, mike stand, mikes, and figure I'm somewhere around 450-500 lbs.

sk5223, I'm not Norman's experience league, but I won't join any group that doesn't already have a drummer and a bass player. It's just no fun. I don't have time to waste waiting for a bassist/drummer to come along when I could be working on a serious project that is on its way out of the garage.

My current project has had about 6 or 7 rehearsals and one private party. We need to get out of the garage NOW. But, we just hired our 2nd singer. Let's hope this guy works out, his first rehearsal is this week..
                              --Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85Follow my new band, Dr. Bombay! We're going to be organasmic!

Comment

Working...
                              X