Anyone watch Wedding Band?

JailTime

• Members

Goofy fun. The bells/violin version of "Frankenstein" while the room waited for the bride was chuckle worthy.

Plays on stereotypes tho'.... dumbass drummer, rockstar singer/guitarist who gets all the {censored} etc....there's more depth there if they want to get it.....but it's Bryan Austin Green/American Pie style humor and was worth a few smiles and giggles.

If I'm flipping, I'll stop and watch, but it won't be a destination show for me.

• Members

Well I got a kick out of Wedding Band, is it cliche? You bet, but years ago I worked as a banquet waiter (great time of my life btw, just had a ball) and we saw everything you could possibly imagine at a wedding reception. The bride getting her canoe paddled under the table by one of the groomsman while the groom was giving a drunken speech was priceless. Saw a couple 'marriages' pretty much turn into instant divorces within 2 hours. This was back in the 80's before DJ's and during it all the band simply 'played on' so to speak. One of my favorites was the gay guy that got married to a really really smokin' hot chick, later he asked if the male waitstaff could 'help' him get his wife to their room because she was to drunk. What he actually wanted was for us to 'entertain' her on her wedding night will he went after his boyfriend.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by b_f_c_99

View Post

Well I got a kick out of Wedding Band, is it cliche? You bet, but years ago I worked as a banquet waiter (great time of my life btw, just had a ball) and we saw everything you could possibly imagine at a wedding reception. The bride getting her canoe paddled under the table by one of the groomsman while the groom was giving a drunken speech was priceless. Saw a couple 'marriages' pretty much turn into instant divorces within 2 hours. This was back in the 80's before DJ's and during it all the band simply 'played on' so to speak. One of my favorites was the gay guy that got married to a really really smokin' hot chick, later he asked if the male waitstaff could 'help' him get his wife to their room because she was to drunk. What he actually wanted was for us to 'entertain' her on her wedding night will he went after his boyfriend.

I really need to book some better weddings...or start paying better attention to what's going on behind the scenes! icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

The bride getting her canoe paddled under the table by one of the groomsman while the groom was giving a drunken speech was priceless.

I got a kick out of it too. And it was my first exposure to the phrase, "paddling the pink canoe". I need to brush up on my erotic slang.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
I really need to book some better weddings...or start paying better attention to what's going on behind the scenes! icon_lol.gif

Its probably alot easier to see whats going on as the waitstaff, those were just some of the crazier things, I was in my early 20's at the time we were kinda like wow look at this. Looking back on it 25 years later I'm like HOLY {censored}!

• Members

View Post

Its probably alot easier to see whats going on as the waitstaff, those were just some of the crazier things, I was in my early 20's at the time we were kinda like wow look at this. Looking back on it 25 years later I'm like HOLY {censored}!

I've always wondered what those waitstaff girls are talking to each other and giggling about....

• Members

The show wasn't terrible but I wonder how long they're going to be able to come up with new material. They burned up a lot of stuff in the first episode and people generally don't want to see them rehash the same stuff every week.

• Members

Most of it was pretty damn funny but also really damn sad. You would get jealous bridesmaids that had a crush on or some other issue with the groom basically poison the marriage at the reception, wouldn't want to do that BEFORE dad spent a fortune on this BS, but now that I've had enough to drink I'll tell my BFF what I
really think. The guys could be just as bad. Of course all of these people were way to young to be married but damn someone just had to have a party.

• Members

Most of it was pretty damn funny but also really damn sad. You would get jealous bridesmaids that had a crush on or some other issue with the groom basically poison the marriage at the reception, wouldn't want to do that BEFORE dad spent a fortune on this BS, but now that I've had enough to drink I'll tell my BFF what I really think. The guys could be just as bad. Of course all of these people were way to young to be married but damn someone just had to have a party.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by b_f_c_99 View Post
Of course all of these people were way to young to be married but damn someone just had to have a party.
Yeah, I'm sure that's a lot of it. And more so back in the day. Just because of the types of weddings we play (and the type of band we are) we rarely play for any really young couples. Most are 30ish and older. But with some we're definately musing afterwards how long they'll be together. Some just don't seem happy that DAY. Last one we played the couple and all the guest flew out from New York to San Francisco for a big, expensive shindig. I don't think the bride smiled ONCE the entire day. Very weird.

I do know of one couple we played for that's already divorced. IIRC she ended up married to one of the groomsmen....

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
Awww...was that on already? I'll have to find a repeat!
Watch on-line smile.gif :
http://www.tbs.com/video/index.jsp?o...122&cid=875318

One subtext that I'm sure they will be expanding on is that these guys were an originals band that didn't "make it" and here they are in their mid to late 30's (?) playing weddings with a retired (?) session guy that played on a bunch of gold records but is completely "unknown" - I know a few of those. Also kinda reminds me of the time I did sound for a wedding band fronted by the original drummer of "Skid Row" freak.gif - helluva nice guy smile.gif.

• Members

It is thoroughly mediocre. I don't know who comes up with the story lines, but I can't imagine any of them ever actually gigged on a regular basis. One of these days someone will figure it out and do a good show about band life. Z Rock was funny, but always took things too far to actually be good in my opinion. (I did dig the story line about the coked-up record exec and his hot wife that couldn't stop banging the bassist, but mostly because of how hot she was and how awesome Greg Giraldo was playing the cokehead).

But as for Wedding Band, I hope it gets better, but I can't imagine it will. The "hollywood douchebag" factor is way too high in the writing, and it doesn't help with Brian Austin Green in the lead role.

Brian V.

• Members

I wasn't thrilled with episode 2. The only television show I've seen that comes anywhere close to capturing something of what it's like to be a gigging local musician is HBO's
Treme
. This is just a sitcom with the band providing a very vague "sit."

Louis

Agreed - episode 2 was a pretty big letdown from the the first.

• Members

right now I can not think of any TV show that depicted a gigging band that got it right.

Have you seen Treme? It's not about a particular band, per se, but several of its many story-lines deal with various New Orleans musicians at a variety of levels, from busking locals to a few with national or budding national careers. Also lots of terrific cameos by actual musicans of local and national renown. Great show in lots of other ways, too. It's not always perfectly realistic, but it comes closer than anything I've ever seen on TV, and from time to time it gets things beautifully right.

Louis

Archived