Small, retractable banners for keyboard stand?

mstreck

• Members

Anyone know where I could get a small 40" x 40" roll-up banner (like a window blind) made to hang off of my keyboard stand? I could use it when space doesn't allow me to have my keys angled off to the side (which probably means there's no wall space to hang our regular banner).

Google isn't giving me much - larger banners, yes, but nothing as "custom" as what I'd like.

Thanks!

Mike

• Members

It wouldn't be hard to make an actual window blind work, depending on the type of keyboard stand you have (and your fab skills). A piece of 2x4, a sander, flat black paint, and some U-bolts would probably get you there. If you know somebody who can airbrush it for you, then you are really set!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wesg

View Post

It wouldn't be hard to make an actual window blind work, depending on the type of keyboard stand you have (and your fab skills). A piece of 2x4, a sander, flat black paint, and some U-bolts would probably get you there. If you know somebody who can airbrush it for you, then you are really set!

I think the window blind thing is way overkill. Just do the banner, and have it so you can roll it up on a rod and use that rod to hang it from the keyboard stand.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mstreck View Post
Anyone know where I could get a small 40" x 40" roll-up banner (like a window blind) made to hang off of my keyboard stand?
Tell you what I did (with help from the Mrs. wink.gif ) -

One caveat: my former band's logo was simply a big red capital "M" on a black background, so it was relatively easy.

Ingredients:

• Two squares of felt from an arts-and crafts store, each in differing colors, each about 36" x 36".
  • A couple of cheap adjustable length curtain rods, with small holes thru each end.
  • A gadget resembling a pizza cutting wheel made specifically for cutting patterns through cloth....
  • And hopefully you have access to someone who owns and can handle a sewing machine.
Cut the felt to the height you need.

NOW . . . The toughest part was accurately cutting the M out of the black felt.
Then, put (in my case) the red felt BEHIND the black. Creates the illusion that the red design is part of the black cloth. Easy and effective.

Stitch the two together at top and bottom only.

Fold/roll about an inch or so back and sew along the top (here you're creating a "tube" to slip the curtain rod through).

Repeat at the bottom (you need a rod thru the bottom to "ballast" it so it hangs straight and won't flap around in a mild breeze).

Loop some dark-colored wire through the holes at the ends of the rods. Use this to fasten the banner to your keyboard stand with cable ties or somethng similar.
Depending on the configuration of your stand you may have to use a little ingenuity here.

OK, so it ain't a retractable window blind but it rolls up easily.

Here's how mine came out.

Img_1135.jpg

newrig2.jpg

• Members

FWIW, I used to have a banner hanging down from the keyboard, roughly the same width as the keyboard.

I experienced problems in that the sound from the keyboard amp that was behind me a bit to one side, and any other amps, such as the bass on a cramped stage, those sounds echoed back from the back of the banner, and caused the not already great stage sound to become very weird.

At one gig I just took it down after the first set and the sound was much better.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rocket888 View Post
FWIW, I used to have a banner hanging down from the keyboard, roughly the same width as the keyboard.

I experienced problems in that the sound from the keyboard amp that was behind me a bit to one side, and any other amps, such as the bass on a cramped stage, those sounds echoed back from the back of the banner, and caused the not already great stage sound to become very weird.

At one gig I just took it down after the first set and the sound was much better.
Was it a thick vinyl banner or a soft fabric? I can see how an out-door type banner material could do strange things as far as blocking or reflecting sound. Mark C.

Archived