Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

First set song? Third set song? - What's the difference?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First set song? Third set song? - What's the difference?

Lately we have been starting with the lighter stuff, and then getting heavier as the night goes on, but then I feel that our dance tunes are out of the way too early in the night. So, I'm working on refreshing our set list for an upcoming gig, and I see it referenced her that a particular song is a "First set song" or a "Third set song". What's the difference in your mind? How do you determine which songs go in which set?

Thanks!
    Good Deals - BlackHatHunter, vexed73, Shamdog, sa1126, Doctor Morbius, Tweedledee, RitalinCupcake, CompleteGuitard, Metal0822, lfrz93, deadanddreaming, Billy Dee, jigowatt, jcameronk2, Steve_man, orangesix, Zuzuman, BryanFTL, finboy, IBDBB (x2), Mike Fiasco, Posh1227, Woody_in_MN, finboy, FarToMany, kojdogg, Fusion1, dcindc, fulcrumpoint, live-I-evil, Deadbeat Son, Teletaylor, Mr Goodbomb, Firebrand, Jse, bdhn, Lonnie99(x2), jjegg

Depends on the venue. If it's a dinner-crowd thing, we'll put songs we want to try out but need to work on in the 3rd set. If it's a stay-to-the-bitter-end, type place, we put a lot of ravers at the end, and then close with a slow tune or two.
    Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

We usually play from 9 pm to 1:30 (three hour + sets) and tI determine the pace of the set list like this;

Set 1 - first two or three songs are for us to warm up and work out sound issues (don't take this the wrong way, we give our all - all night long, but at the start of the evening there's usually only the regular bar flies in attendance and our hardcore fans) Once we get past that, it's time to start grabbing the incoming patrons attention so that by the end of the first set, they want more.

Set 2 - We pick up from the end of set 1 and deliver all the tunes the audience wants to hear along with the tunes we think they should be listening to - this set is usually our longest and has the highest concentration of crowd-pleasers.

Set 3 - We pick up from set 2, but now it's time to wind things down and, but also don't forget - the folks staying till closing are your professional party animals and you need to cater to them too. So we always like to send them off with a big bang at the end.

Since we've been doing this for a few years now, we have a higher concentration of crowd-pleasers to choose from and can rotate things between sets more freely. Another thing that we do to keep things fresh is we have three set-lists to choose from - they're all the same songs, but organized differently from set to set. Keeps things from getting stale since we only add new material to our set from October to May. From May through September we're usually swamped with gigs so we kind of forgo rehearsal unless we're writing new material of our own.

Kind of vague, but hopefully you get the point

Comment

It depends on the crowd. We often find audiences are just ordering their drinks and settling-in during the first set. We don't want to hit them with our harder stuff or our dancier stuff when they are not in the spirits to enjoy either...so, we do "first set" material. For us, it's up-tempo but not necessarily "dancie". For us, it's stuff by Adele (Someone Like You, Rumor Has It) U2 - Streets Have No Name, Filter - Take a Picture, Gotye - somebody that I used to know, etc
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-Steam/179028619290

Comment

Thanks guys. This is helpful. Keep the tips coming.

I should have mentioned that we are a rock band that focuses on 90's and newer music. We generally play small bars, say 100 or less people. Very rarely are we playing to a "dinner crowd". Though the one time we did was a great gig!
          Good Deals - BlackHatHunter, vexed73, Shamdog, sa1126, Doctor Morbius, Tweedledee, RitalinCupcake, CompleteGuitard, Metal0822, lfrz93, deadanddreaming, Billy Dee, jigowatt, jcameronk2, Steve_man, orangesix, Zuzuman, BryanFTL, finboy, IBDBB (x2), Mike Fiasco, Posh1227, Woody_in_MN, finboy, FarToMany, kojdogg, Fusion1, dcindc, fulcrumpoint, live-I-evil, Deadbeat Son, Teletaylor, Mr Goodbomb, Firebrand, Jse, bdhn, Lonnie99(x2), jjegg

Comment

I think it's all going to depend on your band and your typical crowd, but here is what we do...

First set - 90's, head bopping stuff that lets people get settled in - some classic rock, some mild 80's, and we end the set with some current pop that Amy vocally knocks out of the park.

Second set - people are relaxing and letting down their guards, so we open with current dance/pop and transition into 80's hair metal and sing-along stuff.

Third set is full-blown party material, topped off with harder stuff from RATM, Metallica, Audioslave, etc. It's a drunken party at this point.

Here's an example:

SET ONE

1. VOLCANO GIRLS

2. JUST A GIRL

3. 1985

4. HIT ME

5. WALK THIS WAY

6. TUSH

7. I LOVE ROCK N ROLL

8. YOUR LOVE

9. 867-5309

10. ANY WAY YOU WANT IT

11. BOYS OF SUMMER

12. KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF

13. HARD TO HANDLE

14. GRENADE

15. RAISE YOUR GLASS

16. ROLLIN THE DEEP/CRAZY

SET TWO

1. EVERYBODY TALKS

2. DOMINO/I GOTTA FEELIN'

3. HOT & COLD

4. CALL ME MAYBE

5. PERFECT

6. 99 RED BALLOONS

7. ROCK YOU LIKE A HURRICANE

8. REBEL YELL

9. YOU SHOOK ME

10. I WANT YOU TO WANT ME

11. SWEET CHILD

12. DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'

SET THREE

1. FORGET YOU

2. PRETTY FLY (FOR A WHITE GUY)

3. SMALL THINGS

4. FIGHT FOR RIGHT

5. SONG 2

6. THE JEFFERSONS

7. SHE HATES ME

8. ZOMBIE

9. YOU OUGHTA KNOW

10. SUPER BASS

11. ENTER SANDMAN

12. BULLS ON PARADE

13. COCHISE

14. HIGHER GROUND

15. ROCK AND ROLL
            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
            My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 9-Pin-Phoenix
              View Post

Lately we have been starting with the lighter stuff, and then getting heavier as the night goes on, but then I feel that our dance tunes are out of the way too early in the night. So, I'm working on refreshing our set list for an upcoming gig, and I see it referenced her that a particular song is a "First set song" or a "Third set song". What's the difference in your mind? How do you determine which songs go in which set?

Thanks!

I have a few trumpet songs that can't be in the first set and can't be the first trumpet piece I play. Understand that I only play 20 songs on trumpet. (About 1/5 th of the material.) I just need a good warmup to get ready for the high notes on that instrument.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by WynnD
                View Post

I have a few trumpet songs that can't be in the first set and can't be the first trumpet piece I play. Understand that I only play 20 songs on trumpet. (About 1/5 th of the material.) I just need a good warmup to get ready for the high notes on that instrument.

I can understand that. I played trumpet in high school. There are also a few songs that our singer prefers to be in the set earlier (You Oughta Know - Alannis Morisette) or later (The Pretender - Foo Fighters). We have been doing the Alannis in the first set, but I think we get too good of a reaction for it to be wasted there.

Comment

Depends on the venue, the gig, and the crowd.

When playing clubs, unless the venue/gig/crowd specifically calls for a lighter/softer first set (i.e. people still eating dinner) then I see no reason to not rock 'em as hard in the first set as in the third. If fact, it sometimes better to do so if you're going to have a good-sized crowd early on and you're trying to keep people in the venue.

The first set/third set stuff comes from the idea that there aren't going to be many people around early in the night so you can use the first set to blow through some weaker tunes or more "listening" type material as opposed to hard rockers or dance-floor fillers.

But a weak song is a weak song. If you're looking for spots in your set to play certain songs so that they cause the least amount of damage to the flow of the set, then it's probably best to just find a better song.
                  https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
                  http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                    View Post

a weak song is a weak song. If you're looking for spots in your set to play certain songs so that they cause the least amount of damage to the flow of the set, then it's probably best to just find a better song.

^^ THIS. We're FINALLY getting to the point where there are very few songs we can only play in certain places. The ones that are "stuck" somewhere...like if we play them in the middle of our danceist set they'll clear the floor...are slowly but surely going buh bye.
                    Christian

SpaceCat
                    www.spacecatband.com

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Originally Posted by wheresgrant3

Our singer is basically butchering the Grade A material into deli meat, but don't fear... the crowd is there for big sandwiches.

Comment

View Post

How do you determine which songs go in which set?

Put the ones with the "F" bombs later in the night

Seriously if you're finding yourself running out of good material too early in the evening you just need more good material. If your set list is spanning two decades (1990s to present) there's a ton of stuff out there.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mrcpro
                        View Post

Put the ones with the "F" bombs later in the night

Seriously if you're finding yourself running out of good material too early in the evening you just need more good material. If your set list is spanning two decades (1990s to present) there's a ton of stuff out there.

I'm not sure that we are running out of good material, I just want to make sure that we have the good material in the right spot.

I think as a band we waffle a little bit regarding dancing. We play a show where we get some good dancing and then we want to focus on that, but then the singer, and or bass player tend to want to only play the songs they want to play. We are trying to find a nice balance of songs that they like, are danceable, and can be covered with our instrumentation.

Comment

View Post

. . . but then the singer, and or bass player tend to want to only play the songs they want to play.

Ah . . . NOW we've got a thread!

Comment

View Post

I think as a band we waffle a little bit regarding dancing. We play a show where we get some good dancing and then we want to focus on that, but then the singer, and or bass player tend to want to only play the songs they want to play. We are trying to find a nice balance of songs that they like, are danceable, and can be covered with our instrumentation.

Are these the songs that are clearing the dance floor by chance? What song titles do you speak of specifically?

Comment

Unless you're getting hired strictly to play your show (which I'm guessing is where Grant's NIAB band is at...) - you need to have the ability to tailor your set list a bit. If everything is drop dead killer dance stuff - you're going to overpower rooms that have you playing during the dinner transition. If you're light on crunchy rock stuff ... and you find yourself playing to a roomfull of guys ... all that Katy Perry stuff that killed with last night's dance crowd simply goes "poof". If all you've got is crunchy rock stuff ... well, all you got is crunchy rock stuff. If you're an event band playing "all ages" crowds - you need to be able to assess the room and have depth and breadth of playlist to go in any direction for at least a set or two.
                              The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
                              www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                              Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
                              Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

Working...
                              X