Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not really "back". I won't be participating in other threads, and definitely won't engage in the tired arguments that go on around here. I intend to restrict my activity to asking for critique on my situation.

https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
    http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

I will try to objective, unfortunately I read some of the posts before looking at the video.

1:26 Guitar and bass players looked forward together at the same time facing the crowd, looked much better than you guys previously looking down at the ground towards the other players.
      1:40 That little fill into the open chords on the guitar needs work, seemed like the drummer wasn't confident and tried to "force" the beat, may want to smooth that out a bit more. Drummer seemed to "accent" hatass to either keep the groove or get back into the comfort groove zone.

22 tempo seems to drop then recover
      2:19 " "

Drummer seemed to be fatigued or perhaps "overloaded" during the tempo drops, been there done that, drumming and singing is a bear on the diaphragm, nothing practice won't resolve.

Ending was solid and confident as a group.

Vocals are on par with most "typical bar bands". Does he have a monitor back there?

Bass and guitar vocals: would like to hear more involvement in the harmonies, but for the most part they sounded good, I kept thinking I'm expecting more of the background vocals to really make it full but it never happened.

I do remember the old video and yes your foot tap stopped! I know this was directed at Mr Lee Knight, however, this is a public forum, if you didn't expect criticism you should have sent Mr Knight a private message. Just 02 cents!

Comment

Great observations nchangin. Agree 100% with all. Hopefully working on the back tracks together will give us the chance to get a "tempo lock" in place mentally and stop some of the uncertainties in that area. I know that sounds "odd", but I feel strongly that tempo is a mental and not a physical thing.

Gotta feel it and breathe it and then execute it. And a great way to do that is in the "studio". Hard to explain in text how that can work, but yeah: it can.

Rather than me taking a stance in opposition to another band member, or vice versa, I'm working towards all of us coming together and working together to get this thing as solid as it can be given the ingredients. And sometimes just taking the time to count through a song while listening is enough to get that tempo lock. The rest comes down to execution. What's been happening is I'm taking on more of a "music director" type of role. It's a gradual process, and one that requires the respect of everyone. Not dictating: just suggesting. And of course having the ability to demonstrate what I'm striving for, tempo wise. That's one area I'm demonstrably strong in: tempo.
        Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

Yep. I grew up listening to a lot of rock, jazz and classical. Studied classical piano and all that. I certainly wasn't very old before I was smart enough to figure out that success in the pop/rock world was about a combination of musicianship, showmanship and popular appeal.

Sounds similar to my upbringing. I was raised on musicals, classical, baroque, pop, rock and the occasional hard rock record. It was certainly different from the heavily-played country music many of my peers listened to as children.
          (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that twostone could be a dick sometimes. They were right I guess. Anyway, keep rocking!

Wow I'm a dick for asking Wade about him quiting? grow up

Comment

Really Wade? STFU already...That remark about vocals was between me and Guido. Its not all about you and if you took a second to actually read a post before commenting, you would have seen that.

Now to you...would you rather have honest criticism or someone stroking your already giant ego? This has nothing to do with me or anyone else so keep it in perspective. You can groove or work up the grooves all you want, at the end of the day you!ll need a vocalist.

And don't think for a second just because your posting here again, that the majority don't think you acted like a dick far to many times to actually give a **************** about your posts.

Weak. Very weak.

Like I haven't heard this a million times. I thought you were a musician. Then stop with this lame ass "criticism". As if I don't know this already.

And stop defending mediocrity. Where did I talk about pyrotechnics? I talked about TECHNIQUE. Just because you have not applied yourself to refining your technique, don't lecture me because I HAVE.

And last time I checked, Deep Purple and Jaco still have MANY fans. So don't tell me that "nobody gives a ****************". Those fans give a ****************. And damn right if my band plays "Highway Star", I'll do the solo justice. Same as I'll do justice to duck dunn, Geddy Lee, or even Green Day. It's called covering the tune.

I'm a musician. Are you? Then act like one and quit crying about those that have chops to bring to the table. Did you see me overplaying on that clip?????

Dude, if you want, I can post some "chops clips", including me tearing up "Highway Star". Would that make you feel better about your position?
              Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Wow I'm a dick for asking Wade about him quiting? grow up

I know right? The guy sneaks in here at night for the entire summer and rips people while he's sitting at home sucking on a bottle of cheap whiskey. And you're the dick?
                Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

I know right? The guy sneaks in here at night for the entire summer and rips people while he's sitting at home sucking on a bottle of cheap whiskey. And you're the dick?

Dick or no dick man, I'd play bass behind a voice like yours all day. Not sure how this deal got so far off track man, but I'm just trying to get it back to what matters and brings us together, and that's playing music.

Alright man? So can you drop the hostility already? I get it. I'm a dick. Yeah ****************ing yeah yeah. Now: wanna talk about music some more? or what?
                  Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

Alright man? So can you drop the hostility already? I get it. I'm a dick. Yeah ****************ing yeah yeah. Now: wanna talk about music some more? or what?

Alright..I'm done with that then.
                    Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

No beef. Except to take Piano Whore to task for what I thought was an incorrect observation that conflated two separate issues. As we've discussed before, how a band PLAYS and how they SELL THEMSELVES are two completely separate things. This idea that one can only be done at the expense of the other, or if you haven't reached some other musician's subjective measure of skill you shouldn't even opine on selling yourself, let alone be out in the marketplace, is embarrassingly absurd for those who would take such a position.

Sorry but nope, I never said that. Playing vs selling/marketing is not a zero-sum proposition. But (here in my "we-can-all-be-GREAT" never-neverland, lol) I'm just against the idea that after 30 or so, someone's musicianship "is what it is", and to the idea that how an individual player or a band grooves is set in stone. Also I believe that even a typical audience CAN feel a good groove coming off the stage. It may even (gasp) be possible, at some level, to lose out on a gig to another group on account of that.

Also, from what I have seen, really good musicians make alot more $$ than mediocre, "get-by" ones. (FWIW, I- and my income- puts myself somewhere in the middle).

Also FWIW, I wish my current band took more of the Wade approach. IMO we're decent but not up to the level of some here. Sometimes our drummer tends to feel tempos a little more slowly than what I consider ideal. Sometimes the keyboard player gets a little tipsy during our 5 sets (but at least not on cheap whiskey). They DO place alot of emphasis on strong harmony vocals, I agree that that's important. I hope the ****************-storm has settled down by the time I hit the "post" button.
                      Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

Sorry but nope, I never said that. Playing vs selling/marketing is not a zero-sum proposition. But (here in my "we-can-all-be-GREAT" never-neverland, lol) I'm just against the idea that after 30 or so, someone's musicianship "is what it is", and to the idea that how an individual player or a band grooves is set in stone. Also I believe that even a typical audience CAN feel a good groove coming off the stage. It may even (gasp) be possible, at some level, to lose out on a gig to another group on account of that.

Also, from what I have seen, really good musicians make alot more $$ than mediocre, "get-by" ones. (FWIW, I- and my income- puts myself somewhere in the middle).

Also FWIW, I wish my current band took more of the Wade approach. IMO we're decent but not up to the level of some here. Sometimes our drummer tends to feel tempos a little more slowly than what I consider ideal. Sometimes the keyboard player gets a little tipsy during our 5 sets (but at least not on cheap whiskey). They DO place alot of emphasis on strong harmony vocals, I agree that that's important. I hope the ****************-storm has settled down by the time I hit the "post" button.

I can't really disagree with any of this.

Comment

No one's mentioned this, but I wonder if the guys on this forum who sing lead - either as the primary singer or as an occasional featured vocalist, like me - have noticed that your singing is influenced by the quality of the musical support behind you. I'm talking about phrasing, how you breathe, or just how good you feel when you're inspired by the music. Can there be any doubt that the audience taps into the positive vibes the same way you do!?

Comment

No one's mentioned this, but I wonder if the guys on this forum who sing lead - either as the primary singer or as an occasional featured vocalist, like me - have noticed that your singing is influenced by the quality of the musical support behind you. I'm talking about phrasing, how you breathe, or just how good you feel when you're inspired by the music. Can there be any doubt that the audience taps into the positive vibes the same way you do!?

A great perspective there. I know that I certainly feel more relaxed and am "on" when the music backing me is of a stellar quality as opposed to a "meh" or "OMG, they SUCK!" quality. When it feels like I'm barely holding the thing together as it sometimes did in my previous band, yeah, my singing is going to suffer and the crowd is going to notice.

I don't have that problem with my current band and I definitely didn't have that problem even with the two fantastic fill-in bassist/harmony vocalists I performed with this past week and it showed (the crowds grew and stuck around more and more throughout the week).
                            (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

I don't think there's any doubt about that. I think it works the other way as well. When I'm really selling and rocking a vocal (or when I feel one of the other singers doing so) I can feel band kick it up a notch as well. Like everything else on stage, it's all symbiotic.

Tempo is a big deal as well too. Nothing worse than not being able to sing a song as well as you can because you have to rush through the lyrics because the band is playing the song too fast.

Comment

No no no no...you don't get it Senior....the audience only taps into showmanship....attention to detail in the music end of it is a waste. It is sad when people get old and don't get this. Says so right here in this thread.

Read the thread again.
                                "Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                                X