How many of you dress for the occasion?

wesg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's a bit of advice for all of life: Dress For Success. Whether it's a gig, or a job interview, or a first date with a hot chick, it's always a good idea to dress like you mean it. Especially if you're leaving a first impression on anyone.

MAYBE you're so good at what you do and/or such a cool dude that how you dress doesn't enhance people's perception of you at all, but it certainly can't hurt. And on the off-chance that you might not be quite as good/cool as you think you are, it will almost certainly help.

• Members

Good question, Dave -- I should have given more info!

The non-specific occasion I'm wondering about is the low-end bar-band stuff. More formal stuff is easy, I'm always told what to wear so I don't need to think about it. Like, corporate parties, weddings, etc, you find out what the guests are wearing and step it up a notch. Big Band work, there is always a uniform.

My latest project is your prototypical covers-playing rock band; I'm trying to figure out how to look better and maybe convince my new band mates that they want to do the same; right now we have been wearing nice versions of our own daily dress. I saw some old footage, and cringed a bit when I saw one of them in shorts and sandals behind a music stand. My long-term goal is to sort this band out, and take it into private parties, weddings, corporate events, etc.. So professionalism on all fronts is one place where I am spending a lot of effort.

What actually got me thinking about this is that I got a call to sub on piano in a 10-piece "Big" Band New Year's Eve; the booking agent wants black pants, a black shirt, and a white tie. So I have to buy at least a shirt and a tie soon, heh. All of my suits are dark and I like to wear coloured shirts with pattern ties.

Rock bands around here always look sloppy to me. Blues bands tend to dress nicer. Jazz combos, no question, they always look decent.

I noticed Wade even dresses up for rehearsal. Not such a bad idea, I like to practice how I perform at least a few times to work out any surprise kinks.

• Members

^A lot depends on your ages and what you can pull off. Our band is 50+ balding married white guys. No way we're gonna pull off the skinny jeans and V neck T look.
But we don't wanna wear kakis and polos either. Get the guy out of the shorts and into shoes, some faded jeans, and a decent collared shirt at least.

Our last bar gig I wore some old faded black jeans, gray canvas tennies, and a Black Oak Arkansas T shirt.
(no Jim Dandy, that would have been a little too sillysmile.gif A stylized oak tree with Black Oak Arkansas on the front)
THe drummer wore faded jeans and a plain colored T shirt, no logo.
One guy wore jeans and a collared shirt.
One guy actually wore kakis and a polo, like he was going to work. Nobody's perfect. Wasn't so bad cause it was just him, we didn't all look like we were on our office lunch break.

• Members

Sorry Potts, couldn't help it...

To the OP: In our geezer duo we wear T-shirts, cargo shorts and flip flops when there's no snow, jeans and boots otherwise, I play piano in bare foot when I can.

Some places this is beyond well dressed: mechanics come in literally black with grease and dirt, landscapers full of crud, etc.

Our appearance and long hair adds to the ambience - and we even get paid and have fun!

• Members

Unless otherwise directed, I presume that my "standard band uniform" will be acceptable. Black (minimally, if at all, faded) jeans, black belt, plain black short-sleeved Dickies work-type shirt (often with a black tee under it), black socks, the plainest (i.e. least conspicuous) black tennis/court shoes I can find.

• Members

Black suits, black shoes, white rose corsage, your choice of shirt. Check the pics on our website if you're curious. We're a vastly varied group in terms of age, weight, height, hair color, body type, etc., and the dress code is loose enough for us each to find something that looks good but still look similar to one another.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by toddkuen

View Post

Saw Los Lobos open for Neil Young the other day ... the bass player was wearing cargo shorts icon_lol.gif

+1. Years ago, I recall seeing Eric Clapton performing while wearing shorts and deck shoes at his benefit to raise money for his drug rehab center. In my opinion, you should attempt to "put on a show", entertain and play music that the audience enjoys. Generally, clothing is not as important for most bar/hobby bands or their audiences. Just wear something that is appropriate for the venue, your audience, and your band. Leave the costumes to KISS, GWAR, Angus, Prince, etc. (Yes, I am showing my age!)

• Members

I always dress for the occasion! That means that even when I'm chilling and wearing a T-shirt, it's one that I chose for a good reason (funny or cool design, not just shirts I got for free somewhere...) I usually dress like this: Luchesse boots (most comfortable footwear ever) - Levi's Boot cut jeans - button-up shirt of some kind... It's a good look. For more up-scale gigs, I've got more up-scale versions of the shirts... it's THAT easy!
581505_4724917290211_1990355506_n.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bassred View Post
I always dress for the occasion! That means that even when I'm chilling and wearing a T-shirt, it's one that I chose for a good reason (funny or cool design, not just shirts I got for free somewhere...) I usually dress like this: Luchesse boots (most comfortable footwear ever) - Levi's Boot cut jeans - button-up shirt of some kind... It's a good look. For more up-scale gigs, I've got more up-scale versions of the shirts... it's THAT easy!
581505_4724917290211_1990355506_n.jpg
That IS a good look. It's mostly the bald-head and the sunglasses as opposed to the clothes that sell it, IMO--but the overall look rocks and looks perfect for a more down-scale rock gig. thumb.gif

Also love the look in your avatar. How you stand and carry yourself onstage is a BIG part of what helps define the appropriate 'look' for being onstage.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wesg View Post
Good question, Dave -- I should have given more info!

The non-specific occasion I'm wondering about is the low-end bar-band stuff. More formal stuff is easy, I'm always told what to wear so I don't need to think about it. Like, corporate parties, weddings, etc, you find out what the guests are wearing and step it up a notch. Big Band work, there is always a uniform.

My latest project is your prototypical covers-playing rock band; I'm trying to figure out how to look better and maybe convince my new band mates that they want to do the same; right now we have been wearing nice versions of our own daily dress. I saw some old footage, and cringed a bit when I saw one of them in shorts and sandals behind a music stand. My long-term goal is to sort this band out, and take it into private parties, weddings, corporate events, etc.. So professionalism on all fronts is one place where I am spending a lot of effort.

What actually got me thinking about this is that I got a call to sub on piano in a 10-piece "Big" Band New Year's Eve; the booking agent wants black pants, a black shirt, and a white tie. So I have to buy at least a shirt and a tie soon, heh. All of my suits are dark and I like to wear coloured shirts with pattern ties.

Rock bands around here always look sloppy to me. Blues bands tend to dress nicer. Jazz combos, no question, they always look decent.

I noticed Wade even dresses up for rehearsal. Not such a bad idea, I like to practice how I perform at least a few times to work out any surprise kinks.
snacks.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stratotastic View Post
snacks.gif
I'm giving wesg the benefit of the doubt and presuming he's a newbie he hasn't been privvy to our 8 gazillion shorts and stands discussions.

Good news is he seems to already 'get it' on his own, so I doubt there needs to be much reason for another over-long debate on the subject.

But, as a general rule, it's probably a good idea for us oldsters to realize that newbies are ALWAYS going to be dropping by and asking about topics that seem tired and worn-out to us.

Archived