Digital Piracy

Potts

• Members

Done. I don't bother with illegal downloads, half of them are nothing but static. Drop a couple bucks, don't be so {censored}ing cheap.

That being said, I still don't buy much. The odd one. I actually belong to rdio which is $10/month for streaming. It's not bad, again, what's 10 bones.

• Members

You'd get a better picture if the questions were more specific. How many did you buy last year / month? How many did you download?

And how would I know whether or not any of these things affect an artist's visibility unless I was actively involved in the production end myself?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues

View Post

You'd get a better picture if the questions were more specific. How many did you buy last year / month? How many did you download? And how would I know whether or not any of these things affect an artist's visibility unless I was actively involved in the production end myself?

I'm wondering how you found out what what my thesis is. You'd obviously have to know that in order to tell me what kind of leading questions you'd pose.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
I'm wondering how you found out what what my thesis is. You'd obviously have to know that in order to tell me what kind of leading questions you'd pose.
Not really.
I design/write survey questionnaires for a living.
There are 'do's and dont's.
You've got some dont's.

Like...just how long is often?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues View Post
You'd get a better picture if the questions were more specific. How many did you buy last year / month? How many did you download?

And how would I know whether or not any of these things affect an artist's visibility unless I was actively involved in the production end myself?
^ yep

• Members

LOL.. let me ask you guys a question or two considering you know my motivation behind three simple questions.

1. Why do I want to know how many songs you've downloaded? It clearly has nothing to do with my paper so I'm just wondering.

2. Research suggests that attitude and beliefs play a large role in someones decision to pirate music. If an end user believes that a musician can benefit from their music being downloaded the third question is solid.

And KMart.. Often= frequently. The word "often" is often used in surveys produced by Gallop, The Field Poll and numerous newspapers and media outlets throughout the world.

• Members

I'd like to see a survey asking "how often did you tape songs off the radio". And I'd love to know how many staunch anti-piracy folks taped off the radio, or traded mix tapes with their friends as kids. Heck, I bet a significant number of them copied games for the Commodore, too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
LOL.. let me ask you guys a question or two considering you know my motivation behind three simple questions.

1. Why do I want to know how many songs you've downloaded? It clearly has nothing to do with my paper so I'm just wondering.

2. Research suggests that attitude and beliefs play a large role in someones decision to pirate music. If an end user believes that a musician can benefit from their music being downloaded the third question is solid.

And KMart.. Often= frequently. The word "often" is often used in surveys produced by Gallop, The Field Poll and numerous newspapers and media outlets throughout the world.
Are you prepared to show the science of your methodology and why it is sound?
GallUp is.

And its not just the use of the word often, but rather that you use it with zero context. Anybody can get a free Survey Monkey account and write questions for an online q'aire.
That doesn't make what you're doing sound research, however.

I might respond often, but mean it to imply once or twice a year because I'm just not technically inclined. The next guy might mean once or twice an hour. There is nothing in your question to establish expectations, and the end result is that you'll be making assumptions when analyzing the results.

That and three point scales are not only less likely to be capable of delivering good results, but as an expert, they are incredibly lame.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
Are you prepared to show the science of your methodology and why it is sound?
GallUp is.

And its not just the use of the word often, but rather that you use it with zero context. Anybody can get a free Survey Monkey account and write questions for an online q'aire.
That doesn't make what you're doing sound research, however.

I might respond often, but mean it to imply once or twice a year because I'm just not technically inclined. The next guy might mean once or twice an hour. There is nothing in your question to establish expectations, and the end result is that you'll be making assumptions when analyzing the results.

That and three point scales are not only less likely to be capable of delivering good results, but as an expert, they are incredibly lame.
Kmart: I'm having a hard time with the concept that someone means once or twice a year when they say "often". Even in the context of doing something they are not technically savvy with? I don't know man, but I agree with everything else you were saying, but maybe a better example for that point?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
Kmart: I'm having a hard time with the concept that someone means once or twice a year when they say "often". Even in the context of doing something they are not technically savvy with? I don't know man, but I agree with everything else you were saying, but maybe a better example for that point?

Here's the rub:
Common sense is probably the reason you are struggling with my (admittedly extreme) example.
Assuming that the respondents to your survey questions HAVE common sense, much less are applying it, is the best way to end up FUBAR'ED when doing any sort of market research like this is all I am getting at.

In my example, I might be thinking about the timeline from when I first downloaded a song to present, which in this case could be 15+ years, or could only be two months...
So it could be a matter of perspective.
Or it could just be that someone responding has a loose screw.
But how does one account for these possibilities when looking at the results?
The answer is, you can't: the data you get is the data you get, which is why it's so important to have the questions themselves be as fool-proof as possible (and I'll tell you it's impossible to be totally fool-proof).

There is some fine line dancing to do to ensure the most accurate results and avoid leading respondents, etc.
It's a skill, a discipline, an art if you will.

But the reality is that anybody who has spent even a little time working in a related field could tear Potts' survey questions apart on several areas pretty easily.
And that may not matter, depending on the end goals. But it doesn't change that they are likely not the best way to be asking those questions.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
But the reality is that anybody who has spent even a little time working in a related field could tear Potts' survey questions apart on several areas pretty easily.
And that may not matter, depending on the end goals. But it doesn't change that they are likely not the best way to be asking those questions.
I'm not a pro, but I have taken courses and used what I learned to do a local, then a national, survey for my trade organization. I made some mistakes, but also did some things right and the data was useful, according to the executive board.

There is an art to this, but also a science. Following recognized guidelines, including what Kmart has outlined, will get you more accurate, reliable data.

• Members

KMart don't talk to me about research. I've probably spent 20 hours studying peer-reviewed and scholarly articles for this paper. My research is credible...my paper isn't based on the results of a three question survey. The following statement is horrible and not worthy of print.

According to a recent survey of 66 respondents, 22% percent stated that they've never purchased music in a digital format.

• Members

My issue with the survey is this question:
2. How often do you download music from file-sharing websites?

Maybe I'm looking too deep into the question, but I don't know if you are referring to legal or illegal downloads, or both(?), and if you are referring to copyrighted or free-range music. I'd have 4 different answers depending on the question asked. It needs clarification.

• Members

My issue with the survey is this question:

2. How often do you download music from file-sharing websites?

Maybe I'm looking too deep into the question, but I don't know if you are referring to legal or illegal downloads, or both(?), and if you are referring to copyrighted or free-range music. I'd have 4 different answers depending on the question asked. It needs clarification.

I thought file-sharing websites (for sharing music) were all illegal.

Archived