X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    View Post

Are you prepared to show the science of your methodology and why it is sound?

GallUp is.

And its not just the use of the word often, but rather that you use it with zero context. Anybody can get a free Survey Monkey account and write questions for an online q'aire.

That doesn't make what you're doing sound research, however.

I might respond often, but mean it to imply once or twice a year because I'm just not technically inclined. The next guy might mean once or twice an hour. There is nothing in your question to establish expectations, and the end result is that you'll be making assumptions when analyzing the results.

That and three point scales are not only less likely to be capable of delivering good results, but as an expert, they are incredibly lame.

Kmart: I'm having a hard time with the concept that someone means once or twice a year when they say "often". Even in the context of doing something they are not technically savvy with? I don't know man, but I agree with everything else you were saying, but maybe a better example for that point?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv
      View Post

Kmart: I'm having a hard time with the concept that someone means once or twice a year when they say "often". Even in the context of doing something they are not technically savvy with? I don't know man, but I agree with everything else you were saying, but maybe a better example for that point?

Here's the rub:

Common sense is probably the reason you are struggling with my (admittedly extreme) example.

Assuming that the respondents to your survey questions HAVE common sense, much less are applying it, is the best way to end up FUBAR'ED when doing any sort of market research like this is all I am getting at.

In my example, I might be thinking about the timeline from when I first downloaded a song to present, which in this case could be 15+ years, or could only be two months...

So it could be a matter of perspective.

Or it could just be that someone responding has a loose screw.

But how does one account for these possibilities when looking at the results?

The answer is, you can't: the data you get is the data you get, which is why it's so important to have the questions themselves be as fool-proof as possible (and I'll tell you it's impossible to be totally fool-proof).

There is some fine line dancing to do to ensure the most accurate results and avoid leading respondents, etc.

It's a skill, a discipline, an art if you will.

But the reality is that anybody who has spent even a little time working in a related field could tear Potts' survey questions apart on several areas pretty easily.

And that may not matter, depending on the end goals. But it doesn't change that they are likely not the best way to be asking those questions.
      For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
        View Post

But the reality is that anybody who has spent even a little time working in a related field could tear Potts' survey questions apart on several areas pretty easily.

And that may not matter, depending on the end goals. But it doesn't change that they are likely not the best way to be asking those questions.

I'm not a pro, but I have taken courses and used what I learned to do a local, then a national, survey for my trade organization. I made some mistakes, but also did some things right and the data was useful, according to the executive board.

There is an art to this, but also a science. Following recognized guidelines, including what Kmart has outlined, will get you more accurate, reliable data.

Comment

KMart don't talk to me about research. I've probably spent 20 hours studying peer-reviewed and scholarly articles for this paper. My research is credible...my paper isn't based on the results of a three question survey. The following statement is horrible and not worthy of print.

According to a recent survey of 66 respondents, 22% percent stated that they've never purchased music in a digital format.
          Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

My issue with the survey is this question:

2. How often do you download music from file-sharing websites?

Maybe I'm looking too deep into the question, but I don't know if you are referring to legal or illegal downloads, or both(?), and if you are referring to copyrighted or free-range music. I'd have 4 different answers depending on the question asked. It needs clarification.
            Sig Fail

Comment

It doesn't really matter, NOBODY uses file-sharing websites, people use Bit-Torrent, GNUtella, etc to download music.
              Do daemons dream of electric sleep()?

Comment

Maybe I'm looking too deep into the question, but I don't know if you are referring to legal or illegal downloads, or both(?), and if you are referring to copyrighted or free-range music. I'd have 4 different answers depending on the question asked. It needs clarification.

I thought file-sharing websites (for sharing music) were all illegal.

Comment

Not reverb-nation ... musicians share their work there, right? file-sharing websites can mean a lot of things.
                  Sig Fail

Comment

Not reverb-nation ... musicians share their work there, right? file-sharing websites can mean a lot of things.
                    Sig Fail

Comment

Well, there ya go. That shows you how much I know about this stuff,.....practically nothing.

Comment

Typically any data analysis that is examined for "signifcance" has to have a scale in which to measure for a qualitative analysis of the population surveyed, i.e, scale 1 to 5. I agree "often" would be a ***** to define for any signifcance of the data analysis.

Comment

Thank you! Now that is solid criticism and something I obviously missed. Normally file sharing sites provide illegal content- but I shouldn't have to explain that. Thank you for the heads up.
                          Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

KMart don't talk to me about research. I've probably spent 20 hours studying peer-reviewed and scholarly articles for this paper. My research is credible...my paper isn't based on the results of a three question survey. The following statement is horrible and not worthy of print.

According to a recent survey of 66 respondents, 22% percent stated that they've never purchased music in a digital format.

WOW!!!!

TWENTY WHOLE HOURS of research?

Clearly didnt spend enough time on proper survey design...
                            But like I said, maybe that doesn't really matter.

Comment

Thank you! Now that is solid criticism and something I obviously missed. Normally file sharing sites provide illegal content- but I shouldn't have to explain that. Thank you for the heads up.

Not an assumption I'd make.
                              Clearly, there are at least some in this thread alone who it is not obvious/a given for.

Comment

Ok
                                Don Boomer

Comment

Working...
                                X