What's a good (respectful) way to decline a gig?

stevmac1

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stevmac1 View Post
Without burning any bridges...
There are one, maybe two venues where we really don't draw well, but the owner wants us back every other month. We'd rather save the date to play for more people and have more fun.

idn_smilie.gif

steve
Why not have an open discussion with the owner about your concerns and work out a timeline better suited to when you think you can draw the most people.

• Members

^ ^ ^ Good advice!
Yeah, I don't want to bail on him, it's just tough when the crowds are so small so often. I'm pretty sure they're struggling financially.
We played there all this year, but now it's time to fill up next year's calendar.
I think we'll shoot for maybe once a quarter.

• Members

Sad thing is you might be the only band he's making money on. What I'd do is tell him you're trying to do more private parties this year and that you don't want to schedule "filler" bar gigs further out than two months at a time. If he wants to book you further out than that reserve the right to cancel any and all with two month's notice. That way if you can't get those better gigs you're not stuck in the garage wishing you had taken them frown.gif .

• Members

I just prioritize the venues. I'm booking Jan- April right now and i'm going through the same thing. I literally number my venues and fill them in that order. If i get called out on it I just apologize and just say that i got swamped with private dates.

• Members

I would think it's a compliment- maybe the booker sees your band as having a 'better' band to attract people vs. having a less attractive band NOT attract more people? I dunno, just thinking of other points of view.

I agree with the others that you should sit down and have a forthcoming discussion with the venue about it.

• Members

Just be honest and talk with them about it? Most bar owners I work with appreciate the open communication. We don't want their BS, and they don't want ours. Besides, maybe you could both learn something from it!

Every situation is different, but be honest and positive -- as mentioned, maybe there's something good to come from it. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Potts

View Post

I just prioritize the venues. I'm booking Jan- April right now and i'm going through the same thing. I literally number my venues and fill them in that order. If i get called out on it I just apologize and just say that i got swamped with private dates.

that's the ideal method, but it doesn't always work. Our best couple venues are seasonal and don't book until March or April. Our best regular gig only books a couple months at a time. Meanwhile, the venue we keep as a filler gig is the one that called me 1st and booked the entire year. He was pushing for once a month and as we went thru the calendar month by month I just told him we didn't have dates open for the months I didn't want to book. It doesn't have to be other gigs, I just said people were unavailable, etc.

• Members

Why doesn't it draw well? Maybe sit down with them and come up with a plan to get more folks in there. Drink specials, or raffels, or better advertising. If the owners are cool then you might want to help him out and it could benifit you guys too!

Archived