Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding a Lead Singer... Whats important to you?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Lead Singer... Whats important to you?

So I
    My Band<br>https://www.facebook.com/#!/outoftheashesakron

Drugs and excessive alcohol are both potential problems. Someone you can work with is important. They have to have a bit of an ego. And if they're a bit wild, that's probably a good thing.

Comment

"Style" means nothing relative to message, delivery and stage presence.
      What does a lead singer look like? Especially in the 21st century?
      Charisma is not raw sensual sexuality.Which he better have in spades, its all about making the girls wet...
      Drug use is a given, not a prerequisite...

Comment

that he/she plays an instrument as well, at least part of the time.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
        <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
        -For Sale: <br />
        -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
        -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
        - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
        - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
        - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

Comment

In my experience, it's the lead singer who is looking for a band, not vice versa. You'll be doing his (or her) songs, for the most part.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
            View Post

In my experience, it's the lead singer who is looking for a band, not vice versa. You'll be doing his (or her) songs, for the most part.

+1 to this... because personally, after working hard to develop all the characteristics that OP listed (assuming I'm not fooling myself), I sat down and said "Now that I have all that, why, exactly, should I go audition for dive bar bands? It'll just be a big time sink, for not much reward. Instead, I'm gonna write my own stuff and see where it leads, because I can always find players. Meanwhile, if a cover band spot falls into my lap and they are willing to play the songs I've already learned, and I can pretty much just show up and sing, then I might go with it. Otherwise, it's not worth it."

Comment

I basically built my band around me as singer *and* guitarist, so I had to pick songs that I can do well on both. I have considered auditioning for other bands before in the past, but I usually started the bands where I was the singer.

If it were reversed and I were looking for a singer to sing in our band as the last piece of the puzzle, they would have to be very versatile, have a great vocal range, charismatic, good-looking, in decent shape and very, very comfortable onstage and with talking to the crowd. This is my biggest problem as the frontman. I'm more of a sarcastic one-liner kind of guy than someone who can make the whole room love the band, although I have done that as well. It's a little more inconsistent, though.
              (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

View Post

Agreed. Depending on where you are as a band, you'll probably have to make some compromises. The OP's wish list is nice, but if you do get lucky and get your fantasy singer, unless you're gigging heavily and making lots of money, they'll want to trade up sooner than later and you're back where you started.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://thereallybigshoe.com/site/" target="_blank"><font color="#006400">Band</font></a></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder
                  View Post

+1 to this... because personally, after working hard to develop all the characteristics that OP listed (assuming I'm not fooling myself), I sat down and said "Now that I have all that, why, exactly, should I go audition for dive bar bands? It'll just be a big time sink, for not much reward. Instead, I'm gonna write my own stuff and see where it leads, because I can always find players. Meanwhile, if a cover band spot falls into my lap and they are willing to play the songs I've already learned, and I can pretty much just show up and sing, then I might go with it. Otherwise, it's not worth it."

I agree. I developed as a singer in a metal band, and now that I'm comfortable doing it, I just prefer the solo thing if I'm going to be doing covers. It's hard enough working around five schedules for my main band. It's just easier to do what I want and be able to practice and gig at my own leisure.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Free prog-related metal from Michigan.<br />
                  <br />
                  <a href="http://www.silentlapse.com" target="_blank">http://www.silentlapse.com</a></div>

Comment

The best way to find the singer of your dreams is to be good enough to steal one from another band. That is how it has always been done.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                      View Post

The best way to find the singer of your dreams is to be good enough to steal one from another band. That is how it has always been done.

Good enough . . . . and gigs on the books. Some guys really do need the money. . . but I guess that relates more to cover bands than originals. You didn't say which.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                        View Post

Whenever I see a band and the singer is the standout member, I know that band won't be together with that singer very much longer.

Here lately I've been on the lookout for gigging bands with weak bass players. Got a few in mind already, for down the road.
                        Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

View Post

Good enough . . . . and gigs on the books. Some guys really do need the money. . . but I guess that relates more to cover bands than originals. You didn't say which.

How can a band be "good enough" and NOT have gigs on the books? And how would the singer even know that kind of band exists? The real cats pick their players from the scene, from having seen and heard them gig.
                          Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

View Post

It's a cover band. We play Rock covers from 70's,80's,90' and today.
                            My Band<br>https://www.facebook.com/#!/outoftheashesakron

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mumpfic1
                              View Post

So I
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;That's what the internet is for, slandering other people anonymously.&quot; -Banky Edwards</div>

Comment

Working...
                              X