Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do clubs REALLY book out a year in advance?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do clubs REALLY book out a year in advance?

just askin cuz I got this email from a club today when I inquired about getting a gig there.

Hey Jeff,

Just wanted to get back with you and thank you for your interest at XXXXXXX. We appreciate the link you sent and it did give us a good idea of what your band is about. To give you a little background on how we do our booking and the what you could expect. We do book a year in advance to help ensure availability. 2013 is already filled. We are always looking for new entertainers and even though we are booked for 2013 there are those chances for cancellations and when it comes time to begin booking for 2014 we will have your information on file and if your still together and interested in performing here we could look into things further. Again thanks for your interest. Feel free to send any links or information regarding your band to my email.
    www.ostrichhat.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeff42
    View Post

just askin cuz I got this email from a club today when I inquired about getting a gig there.

Hey Jeff,

Just wanted to get back with you and thank you for your interest at XXXXXXX. We appreciate the link you sent and it did give us a good idea of what your band is about. To give you a little background on how we do our booking and the what you could expect. We do book a year in advance to help ensure availability. 2013 is already filled. We are always looking for new entertainers and even though we are booked for 2013 there are those chances for cancellations and when it comes time to begin booking for 2014 we will have your information on file and if your still together and interested in performing here we could look into things further. Again thanks for your interest. Feel free to send any links or information regarding your band to my email.

SOME do, but in my experience working at some venues which did...they would not be totally full for 2013 at this point in 2012...it generally worked out to ~6 months out solid, the next 2-3 close with several key dates locked and the rest just wishes and vapor.

there's no way to tell, and that email could be legit, but to me...

You're getting shined on.
    For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

We use to play a bar where in about October we would book once a month for the whole next year.

Comment

To be fair, we do have some clubs already booked through December of 2013 (and are actively trying to book clubs throughout then).

This guy could be putting you off.. or he might just book everything early to be done with it... no way to know without more information.

Comment

Yup booked to next yrs NYE and half the upcoming summer.
          DON'T BE ALARMED!!! REMAIN CALM!!!!!!!!!
          There's nothing to see here. It's another day in IDAHO!!!

My bands Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/stiff.richard

Comment

We play a club once a month that booked us for 2013 in October. Third year in a row. It's nice to start out that year with 17 gigs currently booked. (We're playing 6 gigs in December. Not unhappy, but I would love to do more.) I suspect that he only books other gigs when a band fizzles out or flakes out. It happens a lot, so I'd send them a reminder about once a month that you're still interested in their consideration. It will remind of the band's name and website. They'll probably not remember the first contact, but the name becoming familiar is a good thing.

Comment

Yes...we are 75% booked for next year and have been for since mid-October.
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-Steam/179028619290

Comment

We have 2 clubs that book the entire year in advance, and another that books in Oct for Jan thru June. Personally I like it like that. One phone call and you are done.
                My Live Gear: Roland FA-08, Hammond SK1-73, Moog LP
                My Band: http://www.bksband.com

Comment

We just booked gigs at a local club for next August.

Comment

We don't like to book more than 6-8 months in advance, but that's what works for us.

Comment

The way I'm reading that email, it sounds like they kind of are doing what an NFL team does when they put a player on the practice squad. You're not really a part of the team, but they want to be able to activate you if the need arises.

Comment

My favorite part is the line "...if your [sic] still together..." Sounds like he has dealt with a few flaky bands in the past.

The only time I have booked out a year in advance was for NYE. We are playing the same place we played last year and they had already locked us down for the following year before we even started the third set, which was nice. Otherwise, we usually just book a few months in advance at a time.
                        (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

Back on target, the OP's question was if it was commonplace that VENUES book so,solidly a year in advance, and if I infer correctly, he means to a degree that said venues would be likely to be, in November 2012, booked solid through end of December 2013. And be in that state NOW.

I don't think anybody questions the likelihood that many bands book as far out as 12 months in advance, or further.

But while similar, that's not the same thing.

Assume a venue books only 2 nights a week. That's 104 bookings/year. Even if much of their roster duplicates and plays every 4 weeks, the spot where that kind of 'regular act' replication intersects with the dates that are farthest out would almost certainly mean that...MOST venues that may aspire to book a full calendar year out, are likely less solid/full when it comes to the end of that next year.

In other words, Venue A may easily be locked and loaded through the summer of 2013 give or take a date or two, but I'd say the chances that they are fully booked for all of Sep-Dec of next year, for example, diminishes a fair amount. There are bound to be gaps later in the time period they book for...

And if the venue in the OP DOES book a full year out, AND 2013 is already fully handled...Jan 2014 wouldn't be something they try to book further down the road. If they were so fully committed for the entirety of 2013 now, they'd be thinking of 1Q14 already, no doubt, and it would be nothing to throw the OP a gig for that time period if they were at all interested.

I still say it sounds me like a polite brush off than what is likely reality of their schedule.
                          For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
                            View Post

Back on target, the OP's question was if it was commonplace that VENUES book so,solidly a year in advance, and if I infer correctly, he means to a degree that said venues would be likely to be, in November 2012, booked solid through end of December 2013. And be in that state NOW.

I don't think anybody questions the likelihood that many bands book as far out as 12 months in advance, or further.

But while similar, that's not the same thing.

Assume a venue books only 2 nights a week. That's 104 bookings/year. Even if much of their roster duplicates and plays every 4 weeks, the spot where that kind of 'regular act' replication intersects with the dates that are farthest out would almost certainly mean that...MOST venues that may aspire to book a full calendar year out, are likely less solid/full when it comes to the end of that next year.

In other words, Venue A may easily be locked and loaded through the summer of 2013 give or take a date or two, but I'd say the chances that they are fully booked for all of Sep-Dec of next year, for example, diminishes a fair amount. There are bound to be gaps later in the time period they book for...

And if the venue in the OP DOES book a full year out, AND 2013 is already fully handled...Jan 2014 wouldn't be something they try to book further down the road. If they were so fully committed for the entirety of 2013 now, they'd be thinking of 1Q14 already, no doubt, and it would be nothing to throw the OP a gig for that time period if they were at all interested.

I still say it sounds me like a polite brush off than what is likely reality of their schedule.

THIS... and I will investigate with others I know who work there. I find it hard to believe that they are booked til dec 2013 from now. This person took over booking around a month or two ago and I know the last person handling the booking for this club only booked 3-4 months in advance.
                            www.ostrichhat.com

Comment

I will say that as a sound company, we were doing several of our December 2013 (bar) bookings in July of this year.
                              How about a mother****************ing crocodile pit instead of those titty ****************s !

Last edited by Jazz Ad on 06-20-2004 at 098 PM

Comment

Working...
                              X