Video--the good, the bad, the ugly

Christhee68

• Members

My brother and I went to an open jam tonight and played a few songs with the host band. It seemed to go well. We stayed a while and watched other guys jam with the house band.

I had my sister in law video our three songs. I have to say the the video is a great tool, because I had no idea how bad we sucked until I saw the video.

When we were done playing everyone clapped and complimented us, so I figured we must have done ok. It turns out they were just being supportive.

It was still fun, the video will serve as a great tool for improving my performance and practicing more.

• Members

LOL - Post the video! Did you play "Can't you see" again? Did the jam stage have good monitors? That makes a HUGE difference IME.

Taping yourself is great. I record practice and rehearsals for this very reason. It's way too hard IME to accurately self-evaluate when playing. A few times I have improvised bits that I went back and learned because I liked them so much. Many more times I have dropped things that made me cringe.

• Members

what wesg said- I've played gigs where I thought we sounded / played great, only to view the video and want to crawl up into the fetal position and cry lol. Have learned tons about honing tone, style, etc.. just from hearing it from an audience perspective. Also noticed performance issues like staring at my hands, not moving around enough, etc.

• Members

Also noticed performance issues like staring at my hands, not moving around enough, etc.

I worked with a vocalist 20 years ago who had a bad habit that was thankfully caught on videotape so it could be corrected.... he would put his hands in his pockets, and then fidget. With dress pants on, it looked for all the world like he was playing pocket-pool. VERY embarrassing.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kramerguy View Post
what wesg said- I've played gigs where I thought we sounded / played great, only to view the video and want to crawl up into the fetal position and cry lol. Have learned tons about honing tone, style, etc.. just from hearing it from an audience perspective. Also noticed performance issues like staring at my hands, not moving around enough, etc.
Oh god tell me about it. I stumbled across a video of me performing at some random open jam that was unknown to me. Could not believe how horrid it was, I contacted the guy and politely asked to have it pulled and he was shocked and couldn't understand my reaction.

Win some, lose some I guess.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kramerguy View Post
Oh god tell me about it. I stumbled across a video of me performing at some random open jam that was unknown to me. Could not believe how horrid it was, I contacted the guy and politely asked to have it pulled and he was shocked and couldn't understand my reaction.

Win some, lose some I guess.

Archived