Auditioning for new band while still playing in a band....

msmooth

• Members

I currently play in a band that gigs once a month (ocassionally twice) and rehearses 2-3times a month due to work schedules. I am friends with these guys and generally have fun with them. I have found that I have to do all of the leg work and lately have been looking for a second (possibly to become the main) project.

They guys all know that I have been interested about doing an acoustic duo and I have had some jams with other players. However, now another band has an opening that I may be interested in. I have contacted them and am willing to audition. I am not sure how to handle this with the current band. I don't think I will say anything unless something concrete comes out of the audition. I feel that I should let the new band know the entire situation before I audition so that word doesn't get out before I want it to.

If it goes well and I end up in the other band, I was thinking of playing the 2 gigs we have booked now and tell them that I would be willing to still play with them on available dates that I may have.

What have been your experiences in changing bands?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by msmooth View Post
I currently play in a band that gigs once a month (ocassionally twice) and rehearses 2-3times a month due to work schedules. I am friends with these guys and generally have fun with them. I have found that I have to do all of the leg work and lately have been looking for a second (possibly to become the main) project.

They guys all know that I have been interested about doing an acoustic duo and I have had some jams with other players. However, now another band has an opening that I may be interested in. I have contacted them and am willing to audition. I am not sure how to handle this with the current band. I don't think I will say anything unless something concrete comes out of the audition. I feel that I should let the new band know the entire situation before I audition so that word doesn't get out before I want it to.

If it goes well and I end up in the other band, I was thinking of playing the 2 gigs we have booked now and tell them that I would be willing to still play with them on available dates that I may have.

Hmmmmm. I would say 90 % of musicians in your shoes would just do the audition and see what happens without telling the old band. But is the politically correct way of doing it? Probably subjective.

To avoid your bridges the possibility of going up in smoke I woud let them know you are looking into other avenues that work for your ability and mean no disrepect personally or professionally and see what happens. It could go good or bad depending on many factors.

In the end you have to decide this for yourself.

I would do this: new band ----> give them a call and say you want to sit down and do a jam and then discuss business so it isn't labeled an "audition" per se and by all means I think it's professional to let them know your in a already "committed" band. Tell your bandmates you are jamming with another band and wanted to let them know so they don't become whiny lil biatches cause you didn't let them know and go from there. You never know audition may occur and they suck, or you suck and they never call you back anyway so if you did tell your band you were doing an audition they don't go into "auto kick the guy out of the band mode cause he wants to play with another band and thinks he's the {censored}" type scenario.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by msmooth View Post
My experiences have been much like changing relationships... always messy.

Best to end one relationship before starting another. While I have personally been in two bands at a time, it was always evident that no band wants to be told they are 2nd favorite to a different band. Keeping them equal was what worked for me, with a first-come-first-booked approach. It worked out well (and still does when I now rarely get together with the 2nd group), but there were some rough patches, especially early on.

What you should be asking yourself is what you need that the current band can't provide, and if adding another group fills the gap and is worth the extra aggravation that will come with trying to balance both bands.

• Members

Up until recent years, if I had a band, that was the only band I was in. I might have guested with another band (fill-in) here and there, but I wasn't ever in two projects simultaneously until 2005. I was in two country-rock bands that year, one fronted by a male that played acoustic guitar, fiddle and harmonica, the other fronted by a beautiful female that just sang. It worked for a while where they didn't conflict and they played completely different markets too.

When the bands started to conflict with scheduling, I made the choice to go with the more lucrative band.

I would go on the audition just to feel the guys out. There is no guarantee it will work out and that you'll even want to be in the band, so I wouldn't tell your current band just yet. It's obvious you are looking for something better, so if the worst case scenario happens where you lose your main band, you just look at something else. If you can somehow work it out where you can be in both bands, great! But these things are not usually so easy, especially if you are playing in the same or similar markets.

• Members

Being that your current band ties up a total of 5 night per month (2-3 rehearsals and up to 2 gigs) - you've got 25 other nights that are yours. Unless your current band is actively engaged in efforts to change this (talking about getting more gigs doesn't count!) and as long as you plan to continue to play with them regardless of what happens with the potential new band - you are not changing anything regarding your current commitment to your existing band.

The only thing that changes if you happen to join a second group - is that your list of "scheduling" considerations are other rehearsals and gigs. Everybody involved needs to understand that it's just a "scheduling" consideration - and no different than the drummer's not being able to make a rehearsal because he has to work late on his day gig, the bass player's not being able to accept a Saturday night gig because he's going out of town for his kid's hockey tournament, the keyboard player's not being able to rehearse on Thursday because it's his 4 year wedding anniversary, etc. The reality is that everybody working in "part time" bands have events associated with other aspects in their life that must be taken into consideration when scheduling band rehearsals and gigs.

It also means that you may need to make sacrifices in other areas of your life. The reality is that every band member must make themselves available for band activities as much as possible. If today, you regularly "block out" a handful of dates for other non-music related events - you may have to "bite the bullet" and reduce the number of those types of "blocked out" dates are on your calendar so that your overall level of availability stays as close to the same as possible.

If you elect to go play in multiple groups - you'll need to ensure that you treat all groups fairly. For most of us who play in multiple groups - it means booking band events on a "first come - first serve" basis. It also means that you give each band your best - i.e., ensuring you show up with songs learned and ready to play. You can never use "I was busy with my other band" as an excuse.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by msmooth

View Post

..... I feel that I should let the new band know the entire situation before I audition so that word doesn't get out before I want it to......

I worked with a guy that always did this. If he was in one band he would say, matter-of-factly, not like it was a big deal or anything, something like "I'm going over to jam with X and Y." He never tried to do anything on the sly and he seemed to be able to stay friends with everyone.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by New Trail View Post
I worked with a guy that always did this. If he was in one band he would say, matter-of-factly, not like it was a big deal or anything, something like "I'm going over to jam with X and Y." He never tried to do anything on the sly and he seemed to be able to stay friends with everyone.
Ditto! I've always been totally opaque in telling any band I'm in about who I'm jamming with and in what capacity. I live a few minutes from my practice space and love playing with different musicians, either to jam, to gig, or start new projects.

It's all about balance, communication, and honesty. I've had bands that don't play enough, don't practice enough, or do either too often, and you need to figure out where you want to fit into those teams.

But most important, be open and be honest -- whereas as SOME people dislike "muso whores," NOBODY likes a liar. cool.gif

• Members

I would audition for the second band and not tell your first band about it until you know how the land lies with the second band. If members of your first band have previously said "no side projects" (I've often come across these people) then I wouldn't worry too much about ditching them if you have to. No one has the right to monopolise your time, especially if you having the second band won't make a blind bit of difference to your first band's schedule.

• Moderators

Back in the 80's, San Diego had TONS of work for a good band. By 1990... that had dried up. But during the 80's a musician didn't play in more than one band. There wasn't time enough. You had your gig and played a minimum of 5 nights a week. You didn't want another gig.

But in 1990, that changed. And as a result, the best players had to play in 3 or 4 bands. That way their calender was packed and the kids got fed. You were then a self sustaining entity. It was up to you to book your calender. If you burned a band, you didn't work for them again. So you didn't burn bands. And there was certainly no secret you were playing as much as you could.

Don't hide it. Be above board and honest. If they can't handle it... well, that sort of falls into the realm of "your issue, not mine" doesn't it?

• Members

Right now, I'm in sort of a similar situation. The band leader for the band I was playing with stopped booking gigs awhile ago (over 6 months). Started jamming with a drummer I knew four months ago. He filled in a couple times with the previous band. It was really going nowhere as neither of us are really looking to take the band leader mantle.... it basically fizzled out, but we still keep in touch.

Band 1: About two months ago I responded to an ad for an original fusion band. I didn't really know what to expect, but it turns out they are both good guys and great musicians. It's a good experience, but the band leader was upfront about lack of gig opportunities and that this is more of a recording type of situation. He even said "this is not the kind of band that will be playing so and so on a Wed night or out every weekend". We have 4-5 original songs in the can and a bunch of covers. I see us playing free type of events at the zoo, art festivals, and stuff like that. Although I think I am kind of in over my head, I like it a lot and look forward to practices and also talking with these guys about music. If it was a long drive and I couldn't stand these guys I would have quit awhile ago.

Band 2: Now, I am talking to a band leader (bassist/singer) who is looking to start a cover band to play out 2-4 times a month. We've exchanged youtube clips and he provided me his setlist, which I like a lot and actually know the majority of the songs... so at this point I think it's just a matter of whether or not we can stand each other. I'm trying to get together with him and the drummer I mentioned above and see what happens.

I don't really see the point in bringing up band 2 to band 1, unless band 2 actually gets off the ground or they bring it up (i.e., jammed with anyone cool recently?). If things do get off the ground then I'll bring it up.... but band 1 is so far away from gigging it's not something I'm even worried about. Like others have said, I show up on time, act professional, and know the material I need to know.

If things get going with band 2, I will bring it up. This doesn't seem shaddy to me... am I off base here?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Yer Blues View Post
Right now, I'm in sort of a similar situation. The band leader for the band I was playing with stopped booking gigs awhile ago (over 6 months). Started jamming with a drummer I knew four months ago. He filled in a couple times with the previous band. It was really going nowhere as neither of us are really looking to take the band leader mantle.... it basically fizzled out, but we still keep in touch.

Band 1: About two months ago I responded to an ad for an original fusion band. I didn't really know what to expect, but it turns out they are both good guys and great musicians. It's a good experience, but the band leader was upfront about lack of gig opportunities and that this is more of a recording type of situation. He even said "this is not the kind of band that will be playing so and so on a Wed night or out every weekend". We have 4-5 original songs in the can and a bunch of covers. I see us playing free type of events at the zoo, art festivals, and stuff like that. Although I think I am kind of in over my head, I like it a lot and look forward to practices and also talking with these guys about music. If it was a long drive and I couldn't stand these guys I would have quit awhile ago.

Band 2: Now, I am talking to a band leader (bassist/singer) who is looking to start a cover band to play out 2-4 times a month. We've exchanged youtube clips and he provided me his setlist, which I like a lot and actually know the majority of the songs... so at this point I think it's just a matter of whether or not we can stand each other. I'm trying to get together with him and the drummer I mentioned above and see what happens.

I don't really see the point in bringing up band 2 to band 1, unless band 2 actually gets off the ground or they bring it up (i.e., jammed with anyone cool recently?). If things do get off the ground then I'll bring it up.... but band 1 is so far away from gigging it's not something I'm even worried about. Like others have said, I show up on time, act professional, and know the material I need to know.

If things get going with band 2, I will bring it up. This doesn't seem shaddy to me... am I off base here?
I would just go do the audition. No reason to rock the boat with the band you are in now. If you want to change bands give your notice and move on.

• Members

Think of this...if you're auditioning for a second band and they're cool with you being in two bands, there's no problem, they're the type of people you want to be around, as they won't mind you playing in multiple bands or doing side projects.

The worst thing is already being in one band, then you audition for a second one (while mentioning you are already in a band), they tell you how brilliant you are and later on they slip you a mail saying they've passed on you because they "need someone committed". You wouldn't be looking for a second band in the first place if you didn't have the time to commit. That happened to me multiple times, being turned down and told "we need someone committed, we have a busy schedule". I look at their FB pages and see these "artists" doing a handful of gigs a year and a couple of YT videos.

• Members

If you decide to "hide it" from your current band and have a facebook account, don't forget they are your friends. IOW, be careful what you tell "everyone" on facebook.

I'm in two bands and they both know it. They are also completely different types of projects.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by testuser View Post
If you decide to "hide it" from your current band and have a facebook account, don't forget they are your friends. IOW, be careful what you tell "everyone" on facebook.

I'm in two bands and they both know it. They are also completely different types of projects.
I think some things are just best when kept private. Say for example , if you tell your band you are going to do an audtion, they will down deep not be all that happy. If you tell them , do an audition , either dont get the call or decide that band isnt for you ,, its going to effect the band you are in now. If you do the audtion and want to jump ship ,, they will find out soon enough.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by testuser View Post

Yeah... I don't see what the two different types of projects is what is key for me. Tim keeps saying "... if you jumpship". But, the two bands are not even competing in the same market. One is an instrumental jazz/fusion project with a band leader whose main goal is recording and playing originals at things like festivals and arts and crafts fairs. The other is a cover band with a band leader who wants to play 2-4 times a month at bars/restaurants. I could see a problem if they were going after the same market, for example even two cover bands playing the same music. I do agree no reason to talk about an audition that may never lead to anything. It's like telling your girlfriend about the hot waitress that served you lunch. What's the point?

I don't have a personal facebook, but I'd think the original band will probably go with a traditional website, while the cover band will do the facebook thing. Anyways, we'll see what happens.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Yer Blues View Post
Yeah... I don't see what the two different types of projects is what is key for me. Tim keeps saying "... if you jumpship". But, the two bands are not even competing in the same market. One is an instrumental jazz/fusion project with a band leader whose main goal is recording and playing originals at things like festivals and arts and crafts fairs. The other is a cover band with a band leader who wants to play 2-4 times a month at bars/restaurants. I could see a problem if they were going after the same market, for example even two cover bands playing the same music. I do agree no reason to talk about an audition that may never lead to anything. It's like telling your girlfriend about the hot waitress that served you lunch. What's the point?

I don't have a personal facebook, but I'd think the original band will probably go with a traditional website, while the cover band will do the facebook thing. Anyways, we'll see what happens.
Just sayin ,, when you come to the band and say you are going to play in another band ,, odds are that half the guys in the band will start thinking replacment. I know that lots of guys play in multiple bands , but It would be a deal breaker for many. Its a delicate situation for sure

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS

View Post

Just sayin ,, when you come to the band and say you are going to play in another band ,, odds are that half the guys in the band will start thinking replacment. I know that lots of guys play in multiple bands , but It would be a deal breaker for many. Its a delicate situation for sure

Im not at all worried about being replaced. Aside from booking, I do most of the work.... write the sets, figure out the arrangements, play guitar, sing 1/2 lead vocals, own most of and operate the PA, own the lights.... I want a second project where I can be more of a sideman... learn my parts and show up and play while letting someone else run the band.....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by msmooth

View Post

Im not at all worried about being replaced. Aside from booking, I do most of the work.... write the sets, figure out the arrangements, play guitar, sing 1/2 lead vocals, own most of and operate the PA, own the lights.... I want a second project where I can be more of a sideman... learn my parts and show up and play while letting someone else run the band.....

Thats cool. What makes you think that any of your guys wouldnt take your second project as a signal to start looking around themselves for another band? Stranger things have happened.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
What makes you think that any of your guys wouldnt take your second project as a signal to start looking around themselves for another band?
Does it matter? If the band these guys are currently in only gets together 4-5 times a month (2-3 practices and 1-2 gigs) - why wouldn't any band member looking to do more playing than that consider a second project?

This is an issue of personal choice regarding each band member's desire musical workload - not an issue of the band, commitment and loyalty being played out as some sort of junior high school drama...

Bands and band mates come and go. When a given situation (band) is meeting everybody's needs - bandmates stay. When it's not - bandmates look for a situation that meets their individual wants and needs - be that by adding additional projects to their plate - or by seeking out a completely different band altogether. You can learn to view the inevitable constant change as an opportunity and thrive - or you can find yourself sitting on the curb, pissed at everybody around you for having pursued their own self interests, and pining over a band that no longer exists.

It's just how the world turns - the musical equivalent to the Lion King's "Circle of Life".

Archived