Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auditioning for new band while still playing in a band....

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now, I'm in sort of a similar situation. The band leader for the band I was playing with stopped booking gigs awhile ago (over 6 months). Started jamming with a drummer I knew four months ago. He filled in a couple times with the previous band. It was really going nowhere as neither of us are really looking to take the band leader mantle.... it basically fizzled out, but we still keep in touch.

Band 1: About two months ago I responded to an ad for an original fusion band. I didn't really know what to expect, but it turns out they are both good guys and great musicians. It's a good experience, but the band leader was upfront about lack of gig opportunities and that this is more of a recording type of situation. He even said "this is not the kind of band that will be playing so and so on a Wed night or out every weekend". We have 4-5 original songs in the can and a bunch of covers. I see us playing free type of events at the zoo, art festivals, and stuff like that. Although I think I am kind of in over my head, I like it a lot and look forward to practices and also talking with these guys about music. If it was a long drive and I couldn't stand these guys I would have quit awhile ago.

Band 2: Now, I am talking to a band leader (bassist/singer) who is looking to start a cover band to play out 2-4 times a month. We've exchanged youtube clips and he provided me his setlist, which I like a lot and actually know the majority of the songs... so at this point I think it's just a matter of whether or not we can stand each other. I'm trying to get together with him and the drummer I mentioned above and see what happens.

I don't really see the point in bringing up band 2 to band 1, unless band 2 actually gets off the ground or they bring it up (i.e., jammed with anyone cool recently?). If things do get off the ground then I'll bring it up.... but band 1 is so far away from gigging it's not something I'm even worried about. Like others have said, I show up on time, act professional, and know the material I need to know.

If things get going with band 2, I will bring it up. This doesn't seem shaddy to me... am I off base here?
    http://www.reverbnation.com/thedubiouscapture

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Yer Blues
      View Post

Right now, I'm in sort of a similar situation. The band leader for the band I was playing with stopped booking gigs awhile ago (over 6 months). Started jamming with a drummer I knew four months ago. He filled in a couple times with the previous band. It was really going nowhere as neither of us are really looking to take the band leader mantle.... it basically fizzled out, but we still keep in touch.

Band 1: About two months ago I responded to an ad for an original fusion band. I didn't really know what to expect, but it turns out they are both good guys and great musicians. It's a good experience, but the band leader was upfront about lack of gig opportunities and that this is more of a recording type of situation. He even said "this is not the kind of band that will be playing so and so on a Wed night or out every weekend". We have 4-5 original songs in the can and a bunch of covers. I see us playing free type of events at the zoo, art festivals, and stuff like that. Although I think I am kind of in over my head, I like it a lot and look forward to practices and also talking with these guys about music. If it was a long drive and I couldn't stand these guys I would have quit awhile ago.

Band 2: Now, I am talking to a band leader (bassist/singer) who is looking to start a cover band to play out 2-4 times a month. We've exchanged youtube clips and he provided me his setlist, which I like a lot and actually know the majority of the songs... so at this point I think it's just a matter of whether or not we can stand each other. I'm trying to get together with him and the drummer I mentioned above and see what happens.

I don't really see the point in bringing up band 2 to band 1, unless band 2 actually gets off the ground or they bring it up (i.e., jammed with anyone cool recently?). If things do get off the ground then I'll bring it up.... but band 1 is so far away from gigging it's not something I'm even worried about. Like others have said, I show up on time, act professional, and know the material I need to know.

If things get going with band 2, I will bring it up. This doesn't seem shaddy to me... am I off base here?

I would just go do the audition. No reason to rock the boat with the band you are in now. If you want to change bands give your notice and move on.
      "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

Think of this...if you're auditioning for a second band and they're cool with you being in two bands, there's no problem, they're the type of people you want to be around, as they won't mind you playing in multiple bands or doing side projects.

The worst thing is already being in one band, then you audition for a second one (while mentioning you are already in a band), they tell you how brilliant you are and later on they slip you a mail saying they've passed on you because they "need someone committed". You wouldn't be looking for a second band in the first place if you didn't have the time to commit. That happened to me multiple times, being turned down and told "we need someone committed, we have a busy schedule". I look at their FB pages and see these "artists" doing a handful of gigs a year and a couple of YT videos.
        Do you need live drum tracks? http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk/

Comment

If you decide to "hide it" from your current band and have a facebook account, don't forget they are your friends. IOW, be careful what you tell "everyone" on facebook.

I'm in two bands and they both know it. They are also completely different types of projects.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by testuser
            View Post

If you decide to "hide it" from your current band and have a facebook account, don't forget they are your friends. IOW, be careful what you tell "everyone" on facebook.

I'm in two bands and they both know it. They are also completely different types of projects.

I think some things are just best when kept private. Say for example , if you tell your band you are going to do an audtion, they will down deep not be all that happy. If you tell them , do an audition , either dont get the call or decide that band isnt for you ,, its going to effect the band you are in now. If you do the audtion and want to jump ship ,, they will find out soon enough.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by testuser
              View Post

Yeah... I don't see what the two different types of projects is what is key for me. Tim keeps saying "... if you jumpship". But, the two bands are not even competing in the same market. One is an instrumental jazz/fusion project with a band leader whose main goal is recording and playing originals at things like festivals and arts and crafts fairs. The other is a cover band with a band leader who wants to play 2-4 times a month at bars/restaurants. I could see a problem if they were going after the same market, for example even two cover bands playing the same music. I do agree no reason to talk about an audition that may never lead to anything. It's like telling your girlfriend about the hot waitress that served you lunch. What's the point?

I don't have a personal facebook, but I'd think the original band will probably go with a traditional website, while the cover band will do the facebook thing. Anyways, we'll see what happens.
              http://www.reverbnation.com/thedubiouscapture

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Yer Blues
                View Post

Yeah... I don't see what the two different types of projects is what is key for me. Tim keeps saying "... if you jumpship". But, the two bands are not even competing in the same market. One is an instrumental jazz/fusion project with a band leader whose main goal is recording and playing originals at things like festivals and arts and crafts fairs. The other is a cover band with a band leader who wants to play 2-4 times a month at bars/restaurants. I could see a problem if they were going after the same market, for example even two cover bands playing the same music. I do agree no reason to talk about an audition that may never lead to anything. It's like telling your girlfriend about the hot waitress that served you lunch. What's the point?

I don't have a personal facebook, but I'd think the original band will probably go with a traditional website, while the cover band will do the facebook thing. Anyways, we'll see what happens.

Just sayin ,, when you come to the band and say you are going to play in another band ,, odds are that half the guys in the band will start thinking replacment. I know that lots of guys play in multiple bands , but It would be a deal breaker for many. Its a delicate situation for sure

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                  View Post

Just sayin ,, when you come to the band and say you are going to play in another band ,, odds are that half the guys in the band will start thinking replacment. I know that lots of guys play in multiple bands , but It would be a deal breaker for many. Its a delicate situation for sure

Im not at all worried about being replaced. Aside from booking, I do most of the work.... write the sets, figure out the arrangements, play guitar, sing 1/2 lead vocals, own most of and operate the PA, own the lights.... I want a second project where I can be more of a sideman... learn my parts and show up and play while letting someone else run the band.....

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by msmooth
                    View Post

Im not at all worried about being replaced. Aside from booking, I do most of the work.... write the sets, figure out the arrangements, play guitar, sing 1/2 lead vocals, own most of and operate the PA, own the lights.... I want a second project where I can be more of a sideman... learn my parts and show up and play while letting someone else run the band.....

Thats cool. What makes you think that any of your guys wouldnt take your second project as a signal to start looking around themselves for another band? Stranger things have happened.

Comment

What makes you think that any of your guys wouldnt take your second project as a signal to start looking around themselves for another band?

Does it matter? If the band these guys are currently in only gets together 4-5 times a month (2-3 practices and 1-2 gigs) - why wouldn't any band member looking to do more playing than that consider a second project?

This is an issue of personal choice regarding each band member's desire musical workload - not an issue of the band, commitment and loyalty being played out as some sort of junior high school drama...

Bands and band mates come and go. When a given situation (band) is meeting everybody's needs - bandmates stay. When it's not - bandmates look for a situation that meets their individual wants and needs - be that by adding additional projects to their plate - or by seeking out a completely different band altogether. You can learn to view the inevitable constant change as an opportunity and thrive - or you can find yourself sitting on the curb, pissed at everybody around you for having pursued their own self interests, and pining over a band that no longer exists.

It's just how the world turns - the musical equivalent to the Lion King's "Circle of Life".
                      The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
                      www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                      Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
                      Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman
                        View Post

Does it matter? If the band these guys are currently in only gets together 4-5 times a month (2-3 practices and 1-2 gigs) - why wouldn't any band member looking to do more playing than that consider a second project?

This is an issue of personal choice regarding each band member's desire musical workload - not an issue of the band, commitment and loyalty being played out as some sort of junior high school drama...

Bands and band mates come and go. When a given situation (band) is meeting everybody's needs - bandmates stay. When it's not - bandmates look for a situation that meets their individual wants and needs - be that by adding additional projects to their plate - or by seeking out a completely different band altogether. You can learn to view the inevitable constant change as an opportunity and thrive - or you can find yourself sitting on the curb, pissed at everybody around you for having pursued their own self interests, and pining over a band that no longer exists.

It's just how the world turns - the musical equivalent to the Lion King's "Circle of Life".

My point is that when you go to a group of guys that you have been playing with for a long time and inform them that you will be handing them black out dates to play with another band , things tend to change as far as the way they feel about you. That doesnt mean you should not do it. My point is that it can create tensions. They may well act like its cool ,, but it can stretch the relationship. I did lots of moonlighting when I was workin my way up in the flying gig. It did change the relationship with the guy who was my regular paycheck. I didnt care.. he did know my days were numbered at his operation. oh well ,, up and onward.

Comment

View Post

My point is that when you go to a group of guys that you have been playing with for a long time and inform them that you will be handing them black out dates to play with another band , things tend to change as far as the way they feel about you.

I'll point out the obvious and state that a band that only plays 1-2 gigs a month and rehearses 2-3 times a month - already has band mates "handing them black out dates" for any number of reasons (day gig relating stuff, family obligations, weekend plans, etc.). In general - there are 8 weekend days each month that are available for potential gigs. If it's OK for my bandmates declare that 1-2 days each month are "off the table" because of their family obligations, day gig commitments, plans with girlfriends, etc. - then there's certainly no justification for anybody getting their panties in a wad if I put declare that 1-2 days each month are "off the table" because I'm gigging with somebody else.

If they feel differently about me - **************** 'em. I've matched their level of commitment in every way.
                          The SpaceNorman

www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                          Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman
                            View Post

I'll point out the obvious and state that a band that only plays 1-2 gigs a month and rehearses 2-3 times a month - already has band mates "handing them black out dates" for any number of reasons (day gig relating stuff, family obligations, weekend plans, etc.). In general - there are 8 weekend days each month that are available for potential gigs. If it's OK for my bandmates declare that 1-2 days each month are "off the table" because of their family obligations, day gig commitments, plans with girlfriends, etc. - then there's certainly no justification for anybody getting their panties in a wad if I put declare that 1-2 days each month are "off the table" because I'm gigging with somebody else.

If they feel differently about me - **************** 'em. I've matched their level of commitment in every way.

Tell us how you really feel lol.

Comment

View Post

Tell us how you really feel lol.

I did !!!
                              The SpaceNorman

www.souldoutrocks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X