Slow Songs: I need some for an upcoming country club gig.

New Trail

• Members

The guys I play with aren't used to playing slow songs, at all! We're getting ready to play a local country club and I know that we need several slow songs. What are some good ones that are maybe NOT so overplayed, in other words NOT "Ain't No Sunshine" or "Knocking on Heaven's Door" or "Wonderful Tonite!"

What are some newer cooler slow dance songs?

Thanks!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by New Trail View Post

Thanks!
Since you're looking for new stuff this one has been really big all year, and could end up being the top male ballad for 2012:

It also happens to be really good.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
I don't know..caught in trap, no way out, cause I love you baby...that tune...forget the name...I'm old.

"Suspicious Minds" is a song written by American songwriter Mark James. After James' recording failed commercially, the song was handed to Elvis Presley by producer Chips Moman, becoming a number one song in 1969, and one of the most notable hits of Presley's career. "Suspicious Minds" was widely regarded as the single that returned Presley's career success, following '68 Comeback Special. It was his seventeenth and last number-one single in the United States. Rolling Stone later ranked it #91 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

• Members

If you're looking for recognizable "newer" material, you could always draw on what I think of as the Grey's Anatomy soundtrack......stuff like Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars, Anna Nalick - Breathe, The Fray - How To Save A Life. Stuff like that.

I don't know if I'd exactly call it "slow songs"....but they're laid back, and very much appeal to the ladies. I think they'd work.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin

View Post

elvis that caught in a trap tune.... assuming country club = golf = old people right? I'd still stick to the ole classics you said in your original post

Yeah, the old classics would definitely work. What you have at a country club gig is a wide age group of people who obviously golf but don't dance much. Songs with beats that even an amateur can feel would work best.

• Members

Here's what's in our "Slow Tunes" department:

Fooled Around and Fell In Love - Elvin Bishop

To Love Somebody - Bee Gees

Still Got the Blues for You - Gary Moore

Only the Lonely - The Motels

Me and Mrs Jones - Billy Paul

Eyes of Blue - Paul Carrack

Hero - Enrique Inglesius

Is This Love - Whitesnake

Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye

Love Look What You've Done To Me - Boz Skaggs

Ooh Baby Baby - Smokey Robinson (Linda Ronstadt)

Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers

You're Beautiful - James Blunt

Wherever You Will Go - The Calling

We typically do one set ... so we constantly rotate tunes thru the "slow tune" slot.

• Members

At first I thought you were going to play at a Country club, I couldn't figure out what the heck all these posts were about, but was going to suggest, "Crazy" as sung by Patsy Cline... an oldie but a goodie!

Now that I see you are playing a country club, ah, hell, if it's full of old people you can STILL play "Crazy", LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by New Trail View Post
The guys I play with aren't used to playing slow songs, at all! We're getting ready to play a local country club and I know that we need several slow songs. What are some good ones that are maybe NOT so overplayed, in other words NOT "Ain't No Sunshine" or "Knocking on Heaven's Door" or "Wonderful Tonite!"

Thanks!
the newest slow song we've done the last couple years is SORRY-Buck Cherry, but it died in a hurry. Slow songs we do fairly regularly......

Every Rose Has its Thorn-POISON
Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain-WILLIE
Purple Rain-PRINCE
Lightning Crashes-LIVE
Yellow Ledbetter-PJ
Black-PJ
Creep-STP
Run-COLLECTIVE SOUL
Break Down-PETTY
Swingin'-PETTY
Like a Hurricane-NEIL YOUNG
Harvest Moon-Neil Young