Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do some musicians show up for one practice and all of a sudden disapear on me?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Piano Whore
    View Post

To increase the commercial appeal of progressive rock it needs to be combined with hi-tech synth-based dance music. Prog-step!

Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

I'm sure that someone is ready to chime in to say that "Owner of a Lonely Heart" was hi-tech for it's time (AFAIK was one of the first hit songs to make use of sampling) and a big dance floor hit- 30 or so years ago. Prog rock, what have you done for the dance floor LATELY?
      Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Piano Whore
        View Post

I'm sure that someone is ready to chime in to say that "Owner of a Lonely Heart" was hi-tech for it's time (AFAIK was one of the first hit songs to make use of sampling) and a big dance floor hit- 30 or so years ago. Prog rock, what have you done for the dance floor LATELY?

One of my favorite albums that I never tire of listening to.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv
          View Post

One of my favorite albums that I never tire of listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3VLRfNiAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUBfiWcj_HA

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ForgetMeNacht
            View Post

This seems to be a too common scenario when it comes to getting band members. I meet a musician either through ads/networking/chance meeting. We hit it off and keep regular contact leading up to the practice. I tell the person up front that if anything should come up and that if he's not interested, just let me know.

Two scenes happen. The guy shows up for one practice or doesn't show up at all. I call up and I go either straight to voice mail or the # is disconnected. I email and message the guy and no response, ever.

I never hear a single word from the person, ever since.

What is the big deal? If you can't be in the band for a sudden reason, that's fine. I just wish for some form of communication. You don't even have to give a reason, just don't leave me hanging.

Am I the only person who goes through this BS? Is there some kind of "cold shoulder" virus that spreads among musicians?

Maybe they don't like your vision, personality, etc. maybe they don't see it as a viable project, or just not a good fit for them...

PA Unity15's over LS800p's. YX15's, YX12's IPR power, RM32AI

LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

Comment

Different rules apply to metal methinks. Not saying this as a slam on metal. But I think I understand that scene pretty well, based on past experience.

Think about it: it's not a popular form of music. Gigs barely pay if at all. Even the popular bands probably don't do as well financially as some cover bands. Different rules apply. And: how do you judge "good" metal? Even the metal heads are constantly b***g about what "sucks" and what doesn't. A very fractured scene full of angry young men.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wades_keys
                View Post

Different rules apply to metal methinks. Not saying this as a slam on metal. But I think I understand that scene pretty well, based on past experience.

Think about it: it's not a popular form of music. Gigs barely pay if at all. Even the popular bands probably don't do as well financially as some cover bands. Different rules apply. And: how do you judge "good" metal? Even the metal heads are constantly b***g about what "sucks" and what doesn't. A very fractured scene full of angry young men.

It's actually a really inclusive community with a few snobs scattered around. Like any music scene really. The metal crowd ihas been incredibly receptive to us. The prog crowd is a lot worse in that regard.
                Free prog-related metal from Michigan.

http://www.silentlapse.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SLScott86
                  View Post

The prog crowd is a lot worse in that regard.

Possibly. Always a vocal minority somewhere.

Comment

I loved old "Yes" but the Trevor Rabin years were awesome.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Potts
                      View Post

I loved old "Yes" but the Trevor Rabin years were awesome.

Great example of a band able to re-invent itself and be artistically relevant in a new era. Not too bands have been able to pull that off successfully.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                        View Post

Great example of a band able to re-invent itself and be artistically relevant in a new era. Not too bands have been able to pull that off successfully.

For epic failure see: Billy Squire
                        Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

The show, no matter how retarded, must go on. This is why musicians drink so much, alcohol helps them cope with facts by enveloping their brains and auditory senses in a haze of thickly applied B.S.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by vanlatte
                          View Post

For epic failure see: Billy Squire

When and how did he try to reinvent himself? Hell he was old when he broke big in early 80's.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
                            View Post

A good description.

Sometimes the "bait and switch" is intentional deception; other times, it's their idea of what "normal" is.

I have had long post-first-rehearsal discussions and even sent a long email once. I look back on each of these attempts to clarify my reasons for not continuing and I wonder . . . . what was the point? One guy did respond by thanking me for my candor.

You have manners, but not everyone takes 'I am dissolving our relationship for the following reasons....1, 2, 3, 3a ' very well.

I do it too...probably because my personality profile needs closure. I've written my share to family, friends, band members, etc.

Some would say it's best not to say anything....let it fizzle....but I prefer finality.
                            http://sites.google.com/site/bizflyer/

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples
                              View Post

You have manners, but not everyone takes 'I am dissolving our relationship for the following reasons....1, 2, 3, 3a ' very well.

I do it too...probably because my personality profile needs closure. I've written my share to family, friends, band members, etc.

Some would say it's best not to say anything....let it fizzle....but I prefer finality.

Relationship? Does participation in a single audition/rehearsal/jam constitute a "relationship"? Not in my book - no more than a "first date and no more" would. An "I am dissolving our relationsip for reasons 1, 2, 3, 3a..." explanation in the wake of a "flat" first date is NOT good manners my friend - it borders on stalker/psycho ****************.

Just because my path has crossed that of a "first date", a car salesman, a telemarketeer, a band leader that clearly misrepresented the band in question - I am under NO obligation whatsoever to explain the reasons I do not care to become involved with them. A polite "I'll think about it ..." is enough to disengage, maybe a succinct "no thanks" under the right circumstances - is more than enough.

If you get an "I'll think about it ...." response from somebody who then makes no effort to contact you within a reasonable time frame - you've received the finality you prefer. The question at that point is whether you're astute enough to realize it. If you don't - that's your issue - not the issue of whoever sent you the message.
                              The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
                              www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                              Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
                              Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

I tell potential members that if they don't like it for any reason, just let me know they are no longer in the band. Still they just give the silent treatment even after telling it to them straight.
                                Guitars:
                                -Jackson Rhoads with Floyd Rose and EMGs 81/81
                                -Jackson King V with Duncan Designed PUs
                                -Jackson Rhoads with Floyd Roase and Seymour Duncans JB and Jazz
                                -Platinum BC Rich Warlock with Seymour Duncan Distortion in bridge
                                -Fender Stratocaster with Seymour Duncan Hotrail in bridge
                                -1968 Alvarez Classical guitar

Amps:
                                -Peavy 5150 First Edition
                                -Marshal Valve 30 R

FX:
                                POD X3 Live

Comment

Working...
                                X