Double booked

jw10

• Members

At least they told you ahead of time. We showed up at a venue about an hour away only to find another band was halfway setup. Got a hold of the owner and 'oops, we double booked and forgot to call you guys'. They almost had to call the cops on us, but in the end we got paid thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sbrett View Post
but in the end we got paid thumb.gif
Slightly off-topic, but these words remind me of a situation I went through back in 2007. I played a wedding gig (on 7/07/07, cool date) for my former bandleader (played in his band in 2005) and it went well. His guitarist at the time was moonlighting with at least 2 other bands and he was tired of it, so he asked me to play the local 4-nighter club the following month instead of having the guitarist play that date. In the meantime, I helped him set up a myspace page and a Yahoo! website as well as worked on some other songs with the band.

On the first night of the show, the 'former' guitarist's rig was all set up. I asked the bandleader what was up. He looked confused and said he didn't know what happened, then revealed that the guitarist had asked when the 4-nighter dates were. Apparently, the bandleader never bothered to tell him he was fired and that I would be playing instead. facepalm.gif

So, we're all trying to figure out what to do here. The guitarist's amp was already there, so the bandleader suggested I set up on the other side and there would be two lead guitarists. I refused, even though he said he would pay us the same. Meanwhile, it's getting closer and closer to show time.

Finally, my girlfriend (now wife) suggested that the other guitarist play that night, while I played the rest of the week (the other three nights). We all agreed to that. The bandleader paid him double for his trouble, then gave him the boot and paid me for all four nights even though I only played for three. So the bandleader basically played and got paid half his pay (even split).

It would have been easier for him to just tell the other guy to take a hike (and less costly too)! Oh well.

So, I was double-booked, but as a guitar player. cool.gif

• Members

It happened to me twice at The Curb Cafe (Belmont University's coffee house-performance venue).
They weren't even OPEN the 2nd time, so I paid my band (it was a J.Paul show) and played a loud acoustic solo show on the Curb Cafe's patio to the people across the street at Bongo Java.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by J.Paul View Post
That's actually a good idea for a poll,
I was GONNA reply that 80% of the musician's shows from this forum don't have contracts
but I don't KNOW how accurate that is....
I have only had one bar do a contract with us in 10+ years... all privates are contracts though

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
Yeah..this comes up all the time and contracts are worthless for bar gigs. I should say at least in my neck of the woods. wink.gif
It's the same thing here ... given the meager $$$ that are typically associated with bar gigs ... waving paper around to try to collect on a last minute cancellation is pretty much a waste of time.

Enforcing a "contract" (even if it's simply an email) to collect the agreed upon payment once services have been rendered ... is a tactical judgement.

Private engagements - contracts 100% of the time.

The forum legal eagles may disagree ... but, that's my take on it regardless.

Archived