X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by cephus
    View Post

How many times have you played with a bass player who you had to translate the key to "what fret"?

Once. I switched from keys/rhythm guitar to bass and continued on in another band with 2 of the main guys and me on bass. The rest as they say, is history.
    Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

Far too many stories of ignorant band members to relate. The ones that really stand out to me are the guys who have no clue how stupid they are...ignorant of their ignorance, in other words. Here's two.

Bass player: This guy had been playing for years, but I think he took a LONG layoff. We reached the limits of his talent pretty quickly. I was walking him through the changes of a song once. I'd call out the chord names and he would play the root...trying to commit it to memory.

I call out, "F-sharp minor". He frets the E string at the first fret and plays an F.

I repeat, "F-sharp minor". He plays the F note again.

I yell, "F-SHARP MINOR!" He plays the F and says, "I AM playing F -sharp!"

I say, "That's a F!" He looks at his fretting hand, goes, "...OH!" and moves his finger up one fret.

Keys player: We picked this guy up who constantly talked about this hot band he played with back home (he was from the UP area of Michigan). He said they played a bunch of Steely Dan and Tower of Power. Pretty impressive...which made me curious as to why he relied on a set of 3 x 5 index cards for our gigs. He wrote the chord changes on them and would arrange them in the playing order every night. This was standard bar band stuff, nothing complicated.

He was going back home to jam with his old band and he talked about it for weeks. He said he was writing up charts for the horn players. I thought, "And you need a ****************ing index card to get your way through 'Jet Airliner'?" He said he was charting out a Steely Dan song and he ran across a weird kind of chord he hadn't heard before.

I'm a Becker/Fagen fan, so I started telling him about what they call the 'Mu' chord....with the 4th in the bass. "No, no, nothing like that," he said. "This was really weird. A B minor with a G in the bass."

I finally lost my patience with him. "That's a G major 7th, you ****************ing idiot!"
      Originally Posted by caveman

I'll bend over backwards to make things work but I'll be damned if I'll bend over forwards.

Digital Me

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman
        View Post

Gawd, I HATE that!!!! I played with that guy too! Would knock off four stick clicks at breakneck speed and then "on the one" - start playing at a tempo that was 20% slower. His penchant for doing that was responsible for more trainwrecks than I care to remember - and drove me absolutely bonkers every time it happened. Mistakes happen - but shooting yourself in the foot with simple stuff like that which can be easily avoided by a deep breath and a "deliberate" decision - just drives me nutz!!!!!

We have a drummer that does this, that we play with from time to time. . . we asked him about it and he just brushed it off. . . I think it happens when he's not totally sure how the song goes, so he just hesistantly clicks it off to see what happens and then catches up when everything kicks in. . . he's really a pretty great drummer, just a little space-case, and a bit of a pill-popper, those two factors are probably related, and related to his weird click-offs. And he struggles with reggae as well. . . maybe he should start smoking the weed instead.
        Check my band: SoulPlay - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TH9-e4FmaE
        Key Rig: Alesis Fusion 8HD; Roland A-800 Pro; Toshiba i7 laptop running Cantabile VST host with IK Multimedia Total Workstation Bundle, NI Vintage Organs, Tyrell N6, Sylenth1, Imperfect Samples Walnut Concert Grand, NI FM8; Tascam US-1641 USB MIDI/Audio Interface; 2 x RCF Art 310-A MK III series monitors.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Piano Whore
          View Post

I don't even know for sure what the hell a dub step is.

It's a typewriter and a dial-up modem played by a chick with shaved sides, from what I understand.
          When shopping for some cans, The Hiryuu passed away...he floated up toward heaven, but got lost along the way. Now he's the Love-Matic Gramp........err, Thy God.

ABNORMALITY - Contaminating the Hive Mind out now on Sevared Records!
          Abnormality Merch! Shirts and CDs!

...and here's the Youtube.

Comment

I haven't got the first clue when you guys start talking chords, modes etc etc - so i'm ignorant. But it doesn't really stand in my way of doing what i do.

Obviously it would in certain situations.

I watched an interview with James Hetfield (of metallica for those who dont know) where he laughed and said when they were doing the string sections of "nothing else matters" and he was going to have to teach them the song - he was freaking out because he had no idea of the notes on the fretboard without really having to think about it.
            Life is ours. We live it our way.

Originally Posted by Rada

... I mean, I wouldn't mind getting on all fours every once in a while if it meant my tuition and rent was taken care of

Comment

"BTW, my drummer is such a dumbass he doesn't even know what a 2nd line beat is, much less how to play one, and thinks that New Orleans music is stoopid"

Don't know what a second line beat is!?!?! Find a tree and hang him!!!!
              Summit111
              "King Pa-Ka-Yea' Band"
              "Old School Rock & Roll"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by summit111
                View Post

"BTW, my drummer is such a dumbass he doesn't even know what a 2nd line beat is, much less how to play one, and thinks that New Orleans music is stoopid"

Don't know what a second line beat is!?!?! Find a tree and hang him!!!!

Can't, summit- it's his birthday . But as of late he is showing a little more curiousity about drum styles outside of classic rock and country, so he may yet avoid the hanging. In a way it's refreshing to be around someone who just says what he likes, instead of saying all the right things about stuff they actually don't care much about, due to cultural correctness. He also blows off Allman Bros as "hippie music" (gasp).
                Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Funkwire
                  View Post

I'm a Becker/Fagen fan, so I started telling him about what they call the 'Mu' chord....with the 4th in the bass. "No, no, nothing like that," he said. "This was really weird. A B minor with a G in the bass."

??????

There is no fourth in a mu major chord. It's just an Add2 with voicings that tend to move the 2nd away from the 1 to decrease dissonance. Or am I missing something?

http://www.hakwright.co.uk/steelydan/mu-major.html
                  Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman
                    View Post

I played sax, guitar and did backup vocals for a worship band and the one of the singers complained that I wasn't contributing enough vocally on some songs. The songs that I played sax on.

When I was just starting out as a bass player I played in a worship band where the lead guitar player had a Peavey 200 watt amp with two 4x12 cabinets. He always had way too much bass in his tone and it was quite annoying to me. A few times I asked him to turn down his bass but he liked his "full" sound.

Add to this the fact that there was a standing wave problem in the sanctuary. The bass was significantly louder at the mixer than anywhere else and it was annoying the sound man who was the husband of the keyboard player.

So the volume of my bass was a constant irritant to everyone. Finally I nipped it in the bud. One day they had had enough and they kept telling me to turn it down so I finally started apologizing all over the place and continued to turn down until I turned it OFF - but continued playing. A half minute later they stopped the music again and asked me to turn down. That was when it ended. I showed them the volume knob on my amp.

Sometimes you just have to prove your point.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
                      View Post

I played with a drummer who thought the count off at the beginning of the song was purely for the purpose of getting us to start at the same time on the down beat - sort of like "ready, set , GO!" After a year of trying to work with him, he still didn't get the idea of counting during the song as a way of learning accents. He was well into his 50s and had been playing and singing in bands for quite some time.

I finally quit a country band over something similar. The 40 year old drummer had been playing "since he was three" and had a ludicrously expensive custom kit. He could not get the beginning of "I like it, I love it" down. One day he, the lead guitarist, and me (bass and lead vocals on that song) rehearsed together just to get it down. We did the beginning LITERALLY over 100 times and he NEVER got it. For me it was the last straw. I was already annoyed that he would regularly start out songs at gigs at 20-50% faster than they had been played at rehearsal. It was quantifiable and qualifiable at that point.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Kramerguy
                        View Post

every singer who when not singing inbetween songs or verses, that wraps their hand around the ball of the mic and then lowers it and holds it against their leg.. which is all but a guarantee that it will feedback.. and then while it's feeding back and creating a staggering loop, they are looking around at everyone else, wondering where all that feed back is coming from...

This is pretty much every singer I've ever played in a band with, or ever will.

I played in a band with an excellent, but aging, keyboard player with an amazing musical career story. Unfortunately he was also getting pretty deaf. Well, he was no singer but we used him on a song as lead singer to give it a comical feel. Anyway, I'm standing next to him and his keyboard at a gig and suddenly this gawdawfullly loud "full organ" sound comes out of the PA and just keeps on. He had leaned forward against the keyboard and his gut was pressing down twenty keys or so. I had to grab him by the shoulder to get him off his keyboard. Ie was oblivious to it.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Hegmatronicon
                          View Post

I haven't got the first clue when you guys start talking chords, modes etc etc - so i'm ignorant. But it doesn't really stand in my way of doing what i do.

Obviously it would in certain situations.

I watched an interview with James Hetfield (of metallica for those who dont know) where he laughed and said when they were doing the string sections of "nothing else matters" and he was going to have to teach them the song - he was freaking out because he had no idea of the notes on the fretboard without really having to think about it.

I'm that way with bass. I played trombone for decades before picking up the bass. I can look at any note on sheet music and tell you what note it is. Obviously bass cleff is easier. I can also tell you what note every fret on my bass is. But I can't play bass by "reading" music. I swor I'd train myself. It's easy enough and just takes some time. However, I've yet to find myself in a situation where I need to.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Crustee
                            View Post

he said he couldn't do it cuz reggae drumming was "like playing the drums backwards" (his very words).

Drummer problems aside, that's not a bad description of "one drop" reggae rhythms.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by testuser
                              View Post

But I can't play bass by "reading" music. I swor I'd train myself. It's easy enough and just takes some time. However, I've yet to find myself in a situation where I need to.

See if you can get a seat in Big Band. You won't play what's on the sheet a lot of the time, but you'll definitely want to be able to read it.
                              --Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85Follow my new band, Dr. Bombay! We're going to be organasmic!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wesg
                                View Post

See if you can get a seat in Big Band. You won't play what's on the sheet a lot of the time, but you'll definitely want to be able to read it.

Funny you mention that. An opportunity to play bass for a big band actually happened after I had been playing for a couple of years. It is what sparked the interest in reading sheet music. I was thinking about it when I posted.

I played trombone in stage band in high school and college, and even the Boeing stage band when I worked there. But I discovered I'm really not interested in playing bass in a big band, though I did play bass in a small band with a horn section. We did old standards quite a bit, but I got to play my own part. The rigidity of the bass part in big band music is what turns me off. But it is just a personal preference. When I listen to big band stuff, I notice I'm focused on the horns, not the bass. With rock, country and pop, I have always focused on the bass the most. It's why that is where I love playing the bass.

And the reason I don't play upright is I'm too old to learn it at a proficient level and I don't want the commitment of playing something so danged large. The older I get, the more economical I become with my "free" time. It's like money. It is limited and must be budgeted. I "spend" it where it will get the most bang.

Comment

Working...
                                X