Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work with a singer/songwriter who, despite being an excellent singer, has had no formal music training, does not play any other instrument and does not know how to work equipment, including setting the volume and effects on her own mic channel on the PA. I often find myself taking care of the technical aspects. While it is not a massive burden, it becomes easier to blame me if something is not working properly, rather than learn how it works herself. I don't let it affect our musical relationship although I find her difficult to work with at times.
    www.stephenquinnguitar.co.uk

Comment

I work with a singer/songwriter who, despite being an excellent singer, has had no formal music training, does not play any other instrument and does not know how to work equipment, including setting the volume and effects on her own mic channel on the PA. I often find myself taking care of the technical aspects. While it is not a massive burden, it becomes easier to blame me if something is not working properly, rather than learn how it works herself. I don't let it affect our musical relationship although I find her difficult to work with at times.
      www.stephenquinnguitar.co.uk

Comment

Damn! I'm a dumbass. . . I don't know what a "2nd line beat" is! [GOOGLING. . . . . .] . . . ahhhh. . . I'll have to ask our drummer about 2nd line beats. . . [Ignorance Fought!] Thanks.
        Check my band: SoulPlay - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TH9-e4FmaE
        Key Rig: Alesis Fusion 8HD; Roland A-800 Pro; Toshiba i7 laptop running Cantabile VST host with IK Multimedia Total Workstation Bundle, NI Vintage Organs, Tyrell N6, Sylenth1, Imperfect Samples Walnut Concert Grand, NI FM8; Tascam US-1641 USB MIDI/Audio Interface; 2 x RCF Art 310-A MK III series monitors.

Comment

Damn! I'm a dumbass. . . I don't know what a "2nd line beat" is! [GOOGLING. . . . . .] . . . ahhhh. . . I'll have to ask our drummer about 2nd line beats. . . [Ignorance Fought!] Thanks.
          Check my band: SoulPlay - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TH9-e4FmaE
          Key Rig: Alesis Fusion 8HD; Roland A-800 Pro; Toshiba i7 laptop running Cantabile VST host with IK Multimedia Total Workstation Bundle, NI Vintage Organs, Tyrell N6, Sylenth1, Imperfect Samples Walnut Concert Grand, NI FM8; Tascam US-1641 USB MIDI/Audio Interface; 2 x RCF Art 310-A MK III series monitors.

Comment

A second line beat is what you get after the beating that left the first line of bruises.
            Do daemons dream of electric sleep()?

Comment

A second line beat is what you get after the beating that left the first line of bruises.

Comment

Comment

Comment

It's two parts. Things change up at 4:40.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG6KH905cGU

It's two parts. Things change up at 4:40.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Tullsterx
                        View Post

Well, it's not as if you have been (AFAIK) a "professional", full-time drummer for most of your adult life, one state over from Lousiana, and still ignorant of musical heritage and tradition of one of our greatest musical .....wait a minute, I'm sounding serious or something. FWIW I'm a dumbass myself- I don't even know for sure what the hell a dub step is.
                        Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

View Post

Well, it's not as if you have been (AFAIK) a "professional", full-time drummer for most of your adult life, one state over from Lousiana, and still ignorant of musical heritage and tradition of one of our greatest musical .....wait a minute, I'm sounding serious or something. FWIW I'm a dumbass myself- I don't even know for sure what the hell a dub step is.
                          Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

View Post

I was once at a try-out/jam session with this new group that was getting together. I was playing bass at the time. Anyway, I didn't know these guys very well, but the keyboardist had this brand new, just out of the box, Yamaha keyboard, one of the ones with the big speakers on the top, a stage piano. I guess he was just getting back into playing, but he was pretty good. Anyway, he was on the other side of the room, and we starting playing thorough a couple of songs. They has this little PA set up and ran the stage piano though the PA, cool. Anyway, at some point I commented that the piano wasn't loud enough, and really cranked it up. . . and suddenly this incredible feedback pierced all our ears, and I looked over and saw that they had a mic positioned over the speakers on the Yamaha stage piano. . . they didn't use the line out, the had placed a mic over the speakers. Anyway, I was blown away by that. Crazy. I didn't end up playing with those guys.

Not two weeks ago, after I had supplied and demonstrated the use of a 1/8" adapter to play the laptop through the PA, I asked the singer to play a track back through the PA for reference... she put her vocal mic up to the laptop speaker.

Comment

View Post

I was once at a try-out/jam session with this new group that was getting together. I was playing bass at the time. Anyway, I didn't know these guys very well, but the keyboardist had this brand new, just out of the box, Yamaha keyboard, one of the ones with the big speakers on the top, a stage piano. I guess he was just getting back into playing, but he was pretty good. Anyway, he was on the other side of the room, and we starting playing thorough a couple of songs. They has this little PA set up and ran the stage piano though the PA, cool. Anyway, at some point I commented that the piano wasn't loud enough, and really cranked it up. . . and suddenly this incredible feedback pierced all our ears, and I looked over and saw that they had a mic positioned over the speakers on the Yamaha stage piano. . . they didn't use the line out, the had placed a mic over the speakers. Anyway, I was blown away by that. Crazy. I didn't end up playing with those guys.

Not two weeks ago, after I had supplied and demonstrated the use of a 1/8" adapter to play the laptop through the PA, I asked the singer to play a track back through the PA for reference... she put her vocal mic up to the laptop speaker.

Comment

I played sax, guitar and did backup vocals for a worship band and the one of the singers complained that I wasn't contributing enough vocally on some songs. The songs that I played sax on.
                                member of the sg army

in rock n roll alliance with the mazi bee militia

Comment

Working...
                                X