No one likes that stuff!!!

jeff42

• Members

Not sure why this popped into my head today but a few months ago we were playing one of our regular gigs and a woman (who frequents the bar) came up to talk to us before the last set of the night. She told me that last gig we played a bunch of doo-wop crap and everyone hated it and not to do it again. At first I wasn't sure what she was talking about and then it popped in my head- it was a medley we play that has some oldies in it. We recently expanded it to this:

Crazy little thing called love
Runaround Sue
Only The Good Die Young
Wake Me Up Before I Go-Go
Buttercup
Zoot Suit Riot
Shout

This medley is a very big hit with all our crowds almost every time- including that night. Its fun to dance to! I think we played it earlier in the night and I don't she was there yet.

I think she just doesn't like it. Now I don't mind when someone tells me they don't like this song or that song... we play a HUGE variety but this lady just became obnoxious.

So I was thinking... We are playing this place again soon should I dedicate it to her? icon_lol.gif

• Members

Kid gloves Jeff smile.gif We've all had those annoying people who think they know the bar/crowd better than the band.. but if you dis / embarrass her in public, she may be in a position to influence others into not going to the bar the nights your band plays, or somehow affect your draw there. We cheesed off a girl once (in a totally different circumstance), and while I stand behind the reasons and would still do it again, she ended up making a noticeable impact on our draw in one venue, now that we no longer play. We were likely to quit playing there regardless, but I got to see first hand how pissing off just one person can have far-reaching consequences.

• Members

nahh.. we ain't really going to call her out. Just a random story that popped in my head I figured I would share.

To her it was EVERYONE HATES YOU NOW CUZ YOU PLAYED A SONG I HATE & THAT IS OLDER THAN ME!!!! AHHH!!!

But in reality it was pretty much just her... being a drunken mess. icon_lol.gif

Long ago I have learned to handle the drunken annoyance types with kid gloves as much as possible. Some guys I worked with in the past didn't have as much patience.

• Members

I'm pretty much convinced that every song we play - is outrighted hated by somebody in the crowd. I know that the songs that brings 99% of the crowd to their feet leaves 1% sitting in their seat mumbling about us being "sell-outs" for playing something so commerical. Playing something a little off the beaten path that gets the "I can't believe you guys play that song! That's soooo cool!!!!" reaction from the folks at one table - will set other tables to mumbling about the fact that we're not playing stuff they like to dance too.

The fact that we consistently play to a full house has me convinced that the majority of the crowd likes the fact that we're a bit eclectic. The fact that we keep our crowd right up thru the last song of the night tells me we're hitting the mark.

Have I heard people bitch? Sure. Do I listen to their gripes? Certainly. I've learned to smile, say "Thanks, I really appreciate you letting us know what you think...." and all the while thinking "Yet you paid your cover charge and drank till the end! eh? ....couldn't have been that rough on ya!"

In the end, it's not what a few people say - it's all about what the crowd does.

• Members

My band plays Celebration. (red-faced admission.) I rather keep that as a request only piece. Lots of people dance to it, but last time we played it about half the customers that weren't on the dance floor walked out. (I don't want to run into that song when I go out and see live music.) We have about 100 songs so playing it isn't a necessity.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I'm pretty much convinced that every song we play - is outrighted hated by somebody in the crowd.
Awesome point right there, and very true! thumb.gif

One of my cover bands does "Big Balls" by AC/DC, and people LOVE IT, but we have a core group of a few girls that always come see us, and whenever we play it, that's always their cue to get new drinks. They hate it. Hee hee. We dedicate it to them... love.gif

• Members

We had a similiar situation this past Summer. I play a resort lakeside bar with a blues band that does a lot of original blues and obscure cover blues (sounds AWESOME, huh?!?). Anyway after the first set some guy came up and said "Why don't ya'll play some {censored} that somebody's heard before?" The thing was, he was right!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post

One of my cover bands does "Big Balls" by AC/DC, and people LOVE IT, but we have a core group of a few girls that always come see us, and whenever we play it, that's always their cue to get new drinks. They hate it. Hee hee. We dedicate it to them... love.gif
thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WynnD

View Post

My band plays Celebration. (red-faced admission.) I rather keep that as a request only piece. Lots of people dance to it, but last time we played it about half the customers that weren't on the dance floor walked out. (I don't want to run into that song when I go out and see live music.) We have about 100 songs so playing it isn't a necessity.

Hard to personally hate many songs more than this one. (Although I do like the chord changes during the bridge.) Hard to avoid it as a wedding band. It's our standard wedding-gig opener. Gets all ages out on the floor and, for us, gets the song out of the way. We've had some weddings specifically request we NOT play this song. Had others want us to save it for the last song of the night. It takes all kinds. I would NEVER play it at any gig that wasn't a wedding and, while I'm sure there are other gigs, somewhere, where it would go over great, I'd strongly suggest it be avoided.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by New Trail

View Post

We had a similiar situation this past Summer. I play a resort lakeside bar with a blues band that does a lot of original blues and obscure cover blues (sounds AWESOME, huh?!?). Anyway after the first set some guy came up and said "Why don't ya'll play some {censored} that somebody's heard before?" The thing was, he was right!

well, it depends. If it isn't a club that has a good blues-loving crowd, they probably shouldn't be hiring a blues band. And the band probably should pay better attention to the places they try to book. And if it is a good blues-crowd club, I wouldn't worry about a single person whining about material. He/she doesn't speak for the rest of the crowd.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post

when we used to do it, the females would fly to the front of the stage to sing along.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

I would NEVER play it at any gig that wasn't a wedding and, while I'm sure there are other gigs, somewhere, where it would go over great, I'd strongly suggest it be avoided.

Because so many crowds appear to love it? *scratch head*

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jeff42 View Post
Crazy little thing called love
Runaround Sue
Only The Good Die Young
Wake Me Up Before I Go-Go
Buttercup
Zoot Suit Riot
Shout
I would think this would go over with just about any crowd.

If you look hard enough there is always someone out there who will complain. We've been talking about doing Runaround Sue forever...probably gonna knock it out before long!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post
I would think this would go over with just about any crowd.

If you look hard enough there is always someone out there who will complain. We've been talking about doing Runaround Sue forever...probably gonna knock it out before long!
Its a fun medley! We played a college bar for the 1st time on Friday and all the "kids" went bonkers for this one! Including our little piece of Zoot Suit we toss in there right before we hit Shout.

It aint going ANYWHERE! thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
Hard to personally hate many songs more than this one. (Although I do like the chord changes during the bridge.) Hard to avoid it as a wedding band. It's our standard wedding-gig opener. Gets all ages out on the floor and, for us, gets the song out of the way. We've had some weddings specifically request we NOT play this song. Had others want us to save it for the last song of the night. It takes all kinds. I would NEVER play it at any gig that wasn't a wedding and, while I'm sure there are other gigs, somewhere, where it would go over great, I'd strongly suggest it be avoided.
I enjoyed the song when it came out, but I do feel it's a bit cheesy whenever I see a band play it live.

BTW, didn't you say a few months ago that you never 'hated' any music? Has it finally gotten to that point for you? wink.gif

• Members

On our halloween night this year a drunk was screaming from the dance floor as we started another set. We kicked off with movin on by missouri......it has a long intro, and all the time the drunk is yelling "whats this {censored}?"........then we kicked in and he went back to dancing and being a pest for everyone else on the dance floor.........Our bass player nearly decked him....lol.

Archived