How much of your old music do you listen to?

Vito Corleone

• Members

This relates to the other thread about not hearing new music, but also relates to a personal question I'm having:

I'm a big music collector. I have thousands of LPs and CDs. And right now I'm considering transferring much of it to iPod so I can just have it all handy instead of having to pull stuff off the wall to hear it. But the problem is that when I think about it, most of that stuff I haven't listened to in years. INCLUDING much of the stuff I love the most. I can't imagine, for example, putting together an iPod playlist without every Steely Dan album on it, but the truth is I haven't bothered to listen to any Steely Dan album in years. I've heard all that stuff so many times that my music-listening time is better spent listening to newer stuff, for many reasons.

So while I think it would be cool to have an iPod with all the full catalogs of Steely Dan, The Doobies, The Beatles, The Stones, Chicago, etc etc etc......am I EVER going to actually listen to that stuff again?

How much do you all spend listening to decades-old music?

FWIW, right now I'm listening to a "Norah Jones" station on Pandora which is playing Adele doing Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love". (A cool version which my band covers, BTW). So I don't know if it counts as listening to an old song or a new one. Although it's certainly not inspiring me to pull out the Dylan version right now....

• Members

I have the vast majority of what we collectively owned at one time or another (3-4k CDs, plus) in iTunes; we sold the vast majority of our physical media over the past year, and before doing so, put it all onto external storage (with backups).

I regularly grab a couple dozen albums or batch of a few hundred songs from iTunes and put them on my iPhone and iPad along with any music I play in any of the bands I play in...so 80-100 more songs for the 80's band, plus another 50-60 between ideas for songs to pick up or break music; the entire Clash discography with loads of live and boot recordings for the Clash tribute, and generally another 100 or more varied songs I may play with other groups.

All in, a couple gigs of music in rotation. And I swap out and mix up the non-band stuff every couple months depending on what I feel like. Beyond XM in the car during my work commute (which is usually tuned to stations playing decades old music in the first place), I'd say 90-95% of what I listen to is older music...and most of the time dating to at least 20 years old or more.

• Members

Wow Guido, I'm listening to Steeley Dans Pretzel Logic album on my computer as I clicked onto this thread.wave.gif I hadn't listened to this album in years and for some reason tonight I wanted to. Every now and then I will hop on you tube and look up some of the songs from my youth.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by modulusman View Post
Wow Guido, I'm listening to Steeley Dans Pretzel Logic album on my computer as I clicked onto this thread.wave.gif I hadn't listened to this album in years and for some reason tonight I wanted to. Every now and then I will hop on you tube and look up some of the songs from my youth.
Yeah, pulling out those old chestnuts is cool---stuff you haven't heard since you were a kid. I guess I'm thinking more of those "classic" albums you played to death when you were young, KNOW are great and classic and deserve to be on anyone's iPod who considers themselves a music connisseur.

I own all those CDs. And the LP versions too in most cases. But, at the same time, I'm not sure if I'll EVER sit down and purposely decide to listen to "Hotel California" or "Dark Side of The Moon" ever again.

So I guess maybe the question I'm asking is: yes, Pretzel Logic is a great album. Yes, it's sitting on the wall behind me. No, I haven't pulled it out to play it in a long, long time. Is having it on an 160gb iPod, just a thumb-spin away from 1,000 other albums, gonna make me MORE likely to want to play it again? Or is taking all the time to transfer it just going to be a waste of time?

• Members

I don't routinely listen to my old music, either. I like discovering new blues and soul jazz artists, and also older, overlooked pop artists (for example, David Gray). And sometimes I listen too much to myself playing music and end up not wanting to listen to ANYTHING, for awhile. Silence can be sweet.

• Members

Been on you tube for the last hour watching old songs from the past. Vandenburgs Burning Heart, Guiffria -Call to your heart. I also found a song that I played back in about 1982 called Go Back from Crabby Appleton. I hadn't heard that song in almost 30 years.

• Members

I've got somewhere in the vicinity of 10,000 tunes in my iTunes app at this point. The library is typical in that it includes a wide swath of material - both in terms of genres and artists. Rarely do I listen to anything specific unless it's something that I need to learn for a music project. My library is however, playing constantly in the background .... when I'm working, when I'm simply hanging out, etc. While I don't get excited about anything specific - I'm damn glad that my library is as diverse as it is - and am constantly smiling when one old chestnut or another makes it's way to the surface in random play.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by modulusman

View Post

I don't own an i pod. icon_lol.gif I have about 300 albums from when i was a teenager and some casette tapes and maybe a 100 cds. I really don't listen to much music on a day to day basis. I don't even listen to the radio in my truck.

I dont own an Ipod either. As for the LP collection. We destroyed or records as fast as we bought them back in the day playing drop the needle to learn lyrics and songs. I dont tend to listen to much music, other than bringing up a song on youtube because we do it in the band.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by modulusman View Post
Been on you tube for the last hour watching old songs from the past. Vandenburgs Burning Heart, Guiffria -Call to your heart.
good stuff!

as far as listening to old music I usually get on a Maiden kick every few months then a sabbath kick so yeah I revisit stuff I love but not as much as I used to.

• Members

Most of what I listen to is my favorite old stuff. Occasionally new stuff by artists I've liked for a while will creep in, like Sloan, Butch Walker, Muse, King's X, and Rush. I think the vast majority of new music I hear, or at least new bands, can't put together a cohesive and great album, so I'll occasionally listen to a few of their songs (bands like Phoenix, The Killers, Neon Trees, etc.). I have to admit that I really love Katy Perry's stuff for some reason...mostly because she was very nice to me when I met her in 2008 (before I Kissed A Girl was out), so I'm always rooting for her and sometimes I'll listen to that stuff.

But most of what I hear on the pop stations I do the commercials for (a CHR/Top 40 and a Rhythmic/Hip Hop CHR) is utter {censored}...which makes me sad. Even someone I tend to enjoy like Bruno Mars overall bores me because of the way the songs are produced. Same with Maroon 5, who I used to love back when they knew how to play rock music. I don't know - there's not a whole lot of raw emotion coming through in the way records are overproduced these days. I think that's why Adele sticks out like a sore thumb, because she really sounds as though she's feeling every word. And the more spare production is why that Gotye song was so interesting...

One band I heard recently that intrigued me but that I haven't been able to further investigate is Grizzly Bear. Not sure if I'll actually dig it or if it's just hipster garbage. And I do enjoy The Black Keys sometimes...but that's getting pretty tired, too.

Most new stuff just doesn't touch me anymore...so I stick with stuff that does.
Brian V.

• Members

I do this pretty frequently, especially in that I was born in the `80s and didn't get into the glory of some of what the `60s and `70s offered until I was dang near in my 20s! So lots of older music (i.e. pre-1990) gets rotation in my CD player.

That being said, I frequently revisit older albums from my past, as well. What I discerned from Metallica's Ride the Lightning when I was a metal head in high school is different than what I'd discern from it now.

Though not all of it! Totally_jammin_out.gifTotally_jammin_out.gifTotally_jammin_out.gifTotally_jammin_out.gif

• Members

Older music that I didn't pay much attention to or never heard before. Going back before my birth and listening to the old cats. Bill Black and Jerry Scheff on bass, early macca, some jazz. So much good stuff to listen to: why be boxed in? Loving Pandora.

I like to listen to music that uses more major scale tones; too much blooz based pentatonic stuff came out in the 70's, it's nice to hear a major sixth or third every once in a while, you know? 70's riff rock reminds me of modal jazz: all solo but the melodic underpinnings are weak and boring.

And ya know, I hear a song like "Little Sister" as covered by Elvis, and i can see where Angus got his riff for "Back in Black". So it all comes around at some point. Off to listen some more. That's my quota for this week.

• Members

I find that interest in that old stuff is cyclical---I may not listen to a given band much for years maybe, but then I'll get on a kick about them. It seems like every five years of so I go through a Beatles or Led Zeppelin or Rolling Stones phase, even though I am very familiar with their catalogs. Same with other bands that I was heavily into at one point; those are just three examples of very well known old music.

Of course, tastes change. Some music that I really liked at 20 is not interesting to me in my 40s, so while I still have those discs I rarely pull them out.

I haven't gone back to listen to much of my older stuff for the last year or so because I ended up buying a bunch of kmart's CDs when he went full digital, and I've been systematically going through them. I'm finally down to the last dozen or so. That was almost all older stuff that I missed the first time around or just never bought.

I find that production has become a lot more important lately---a poor or heavy-handed recording can get in the way of appreciating an otherwise good song, for me.

• Members

Interesting topic....I used to spend countless hours of the day listening to music, mostly metal ever since I was in 5th grade and the Black Album came out, From then till my late teens I was a total metalhead shredder, and listened to all kinds of metal and shred, then I started getting into other kinds of music and listened to a lot...

I'm not sure when it really stopped, probably some time in my mid 20's or so (I'm 31 now) but I haven't really listened to much old (OR new) music at all since then, just some discs I've burned from stuff I had put into iTunes from discs years ago in the car whenever I'm driving somewhere, that's about it...

• Members

More than I listen to new stuff, I listen to "new to me" stuff. Might be tracks that are 10, 20 even 70 years old, but if it's something I haven't heard before then it's "new stuff" to my ears.

I find myself mining a lot of old music for the new-to-me experience. I get bummed when people say they don't listen to new music (importantly the new-to-me variety). Just try something you haven't heard before - if you don't like it, fine, move on, but keep trying. Checking in with the tried and true material is great, and what iPod shuffle was intended for, no?

• Members
I don't know - there's not a whole lot of raw emotion coming through in the way records are overproduced these days. I think that's why Adele sticks out like a sore thumb' date=' because she really sounds as though she's feeling every word. QUOTE']

Another Adele fan here! Some of her her songs sound like undiscovered classics to me and the raw, rootsy production helps to sell that "feeling every word" part, IMO. My band recently learned "One and Only" for our cowgirl singer- just piano and vocals for first verse, chorus adds the band and B3, bridge is just piano and vocals with cello and gospel background vocals. Great song! Hopefully we'll add some more in that vein.

Archived