I Repeat..I'm Not a Filmmaker

Potts

• Members

I mentioned that I've been working on a paper for school on digital piracy. We were given the opportunity for extra credit if we created a PSA on the topic. Here's mine. Let me know if you see any MAJOR mistakes such as spelling, grammar or anything that doesn't seem to be visually appealing.

The images of me are short because I'm not the message and I also thought it was a cool effect. I dunno. I have to stay right around 2 minutes so...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues View Post
Nice.

The author of the quote in the beginning should be a smaller font.

The images of you really need to be longer. Maybe just make the fade in/out longer.
Agreed, those quick changes feel rushed and out of place. While it may be intentional, the result ends up being perceived as a mistake.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by chadd

View Post

Agreed, those quick changes feel rushed and out of place. While it may be intentional, the result ends up being perceived as a mistake.

Yep, the images should be longer and should fade in and out. Actually Potts, I think the project is about you, in that it is about stealing music from artists and you are using you as an example of that.

• Moderators

Very cool!!!!!

One suggestion. SHARE!!! flashes so quickly. I get the effect you're going for but this is so out of the norm from convention it too jarring. But how do you do elongate without destroying your timeline that follows? Leave SHARE!!! up and fade out the opacity so it overlays the next bit of text about stealing. So SHARE!!! fades out but gets to stay longer than a blip.

Anyway, very cool work. Very cool idea. Nicely done. What do you mean you're not a filmmaker. You are now.

• Members

Just my $.02. I think it's really good, however I would ditch the "He was too busy picking his jaw up off the floor" line. The "He didn't sign it" already makes your point. The other line just seems out of place for an otherwise objective, "just the facts" feel of the rest of the video. Just my humble opinion smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by backtoblue View Post
Just my $.02. I think it's really good, however I would ditch the "He was too busy picking his jaw up off the floor" line. The "He didn't sign it" already makes your point. The other line just seems out of place for an otherwise objective, "just the facts" feel of the rest of the video. Just my humble opinion smile.gif
Hmmm... Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Thanks Blue! smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
Very cool!!!!!

One suggestion. SHARE!!! flashes so quickly. I get the effect you're going for but this is so out of the norm from convention it too jarring. But how do you do elongate without destroying your timeline that follows? Leave SHARE!!! up and fade out the opacity so it overlays the next bit of text about stealing. So SHARE!!! fades out but gets to stay longer than a blip.

Anyway, very cool work. Very cool idea. Nicely done. What do you mean you're not a filmmaker. You are now.
I think you're correct- good call! Thanks pal!

• Members

Great song! thumb.gif

Overall I thought you did a good job. Minor quibbles:

*I agree about the SHARE! thing - it feels like subliminal advertising.
*Also agree that the "jaw" line is a bit out of character with the rest of the dialogue.
*I'd also use some different pix...the first two look like they're just mirrored versions of the same pic?
*Not enough T&A. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by backtoblue View Post
Just to give another point of view fwiw: the line didn't jar with me, because by the time it gets there it's fairly obvious that "this guy" who features in the video is either you, or someone you know. It was obvious (to me anyway) that there's a personal element in the message. I think the line in question makes the point "Can you believe the damn cheek of it?" or "See, people don't even realise it's wrong to download illegally - that's why I'm telling you this".

Just another personal opinion, for you to consider in case it helps.

I also agree with the comments on "SHARE". Too quick.

• Moderators

The line about the jaw on the floor. I like the slightly incongruous feel of it. It is mildly out of character. And that's fitting with the sentiment of the message. It almost shocks, just as intended. I remember thinking this on 1st watch. It made me smile. It breaks form to make a point, and that's a good thing in my book.

Though... I believe it was a great catch of Blue's. It really could go either way and Blue's point is astute and valid. I just happen to like the effect.

• Members

Hey D

I'm not sure I would have landed on "stealing music hurts careers". I'm guessing its probably helped a bunch of them.

If you want really picky criticism, the fades between graphics and text cuts off a little abruptly to my eye. I'd adjust the crossfades to be a bit longer ... but that's just me. All in all I'd give it positive marks.

• Members

I agree with backtoblue RE the "picking jaw from off the floor" line. But overall I think the video is good work, succinct and economical in making it's point- even though I almost expected to see SO PAY UP, BITCH! at the end, with Darrell's paypal account info displayed below.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

The line about the jaw on the floor. I like the slightly incongruous feel of it. It is mildly out of character. And that's fitting with the sentiment of the message. It almost shocks, just as intended. I remember thinking this on 1st watch. It made me smile. It breaks form to make a point, and that's a good thing in my book.

Definitely another very valid way to look at it!

• Members

Speaking as an ad professional (okay, creative services/production director for radio stations - close enough):
1. It's pretty good for a non-filmmaker.
2. It should be shorter (you can make your point in :60 easily)
3. mr3lions point about the facebook logo was funny (and probably undermines your argument a bit if he's right)
4. I think the premise is relatively false (artists can be both helped and hurt by sharing music) but you make your point well for these purposes.
5. I found it amusing that you used "peak" when you meant "peek" in a post that mentioned grammar corrections.
6. The line about your jaw didn't bother me, but it's filler.

Overall, nice work. You deserve whatever extra credit they give. smile.gif
Brian V.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSchizo View Post
Speaking as an ad professional (okay, creative services/production director for radio stations - close enough):
1. It's pretty good for a non-filmmaker.
2. It should be shorter (you can make your point in :60 easily)
3. mr3lions point about the facebook logo was funny (and probably undermines your argument a bit if he's right)
4. I think the premise is relatively false (artists can be both helped and hurt by sharing music) but you make your point well for these purposes.
5. I found it amusing that you used "peak" when you meant "peek" in a post that mentioned grammar corrections.
6. The line about your jaw didn't bother me, but it's filler.

Overall, nice work. You deserve whatever extra credit they give. smile.gif
Brian V.
LOL Brian! wink.gif

-It had to be 2 minutes
-The facebook thing is funny.. I should "cite" it in my credits section.
-Too funny with the "peak" thing!
- I'm not sure if I agree with the PSA or the entire paper that I wrote regrading digital piracy, but I think I make a decent argument.

Archived