X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great song!

Overall I thought you did a good job. Minor quibbles:

*I agree about the SHARE! thing - it feels like subliminal advertising.

*Also agree that the "jaw" line is a bit out of character with the rest of the dialogue.

*I'd also use some different pix...the first two look like they're just mirrored versions of the same pic?

*Not enough T&A.
    >>>Click here for my list of smooooov deals!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by backtoblue
      View Post

Just my $.02. I think it's really good, however I would ditch the "He was too busy picking his jaw up off the floor" line. The "He didn't sign it" already makes your point. The other line just seems out of place for an otherwise objective, "just the facts" feel of the rest of the video. Just my humble opinion

Just to give another point of view fwiw: the line didn't jar with me, because by the time it gets there it's fairly obvious that "this guy" who features in the video is either you, or someone you know. It was obvious (to me anyway) that there's a personal element in the message. I think the line in question makes the point "Can you believe the damn cheek of it?" or "See, people don't even realise it's wrong to download illegally - that's why I'm telling you this".

Just another personal opinion, for you to consider in case it helps.

I also agree with the comments on "SHARE". Too quick.

Comment

The line about the jaw on the floor. I like the slightly incongruous feel of it. It is mildly out of character. And that's fitting with the sentiment of the message. It almost shocks, just as intended. I remember thinking this on 1st watch. It made me smile. It breaks form to make a point, and that's a good thing in my book.

Though... I believe it was a great catch of Blue's. It really could go either way and Blue's point is astute and valid. I just happen to like the effect.

Comment

Hey D

I'm not sure I would have landed on "stealing music hurts careers". I'm guessing its probably helped a bunch of them.

If you want really picky criticism, the fades between graphics and text cuts off a little abruptly to my eye. I'd adjust the crossfades to be a bit longer ... but that's just me. All in all I'd give it positive marks.
          Don Boomer

Comment

I agree with backtoblue RE the "picking jaw from off the floor" line. But overall I think the video is good work, succinct and economical in making it's point- even though I almost expected to see SO PAY UP, BITCH! at the end, with Darrell's paypal account info displayed below.
            Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

Did you pay Facebook for the rights to use their logo?
              Member: IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                View Post

The line about the jaw on the floor. I like the slightly incongruous feel of it. It is mildly out of character. And that's fitting with the sentiment of the message. It almost shocks, just as intended. I remember thinking this on 1st watch. It made me smile. It breaks form to make a point, and that's a good thing in my book.

Definitely another very valid way to look at it!

Comment

Speaking as an ad professional (okay, creative services/production director for radio stations - close enough):

1. It's pretty good for a non-filmmaker.

2. It should be shorter (you can make your point in :60 easily)

3. mr3lions point about the facebook logo was funny (and probably undermines your argument a bit if he's right)

4. I think the premise is relatively false (artists can be both helped and hurt by sharing music) but you make your point well for these purposes.

5. I found it amusing that you used "peak" when you meant "peek" in a post that mentioned grammar corrections.

6. The line about your jaw didn't bother me, but it's filler.

Overall, nice work. You deserve whatever extra credit they give.

Brian V.
                  "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSchizo
                    View Post

Speaking as an ad professional (okay, creative services/production director for radio stations - close enough):

1. It's pretty good for a non-filmmaker.

2. It should be shorter (you can make your point in :60 easily)

3. mr3lions point about the facebook logo was funny (and probably undermines your argument a bit if he's right)

4. I think the premise is relatively false (artists can be both helped and hurt by sharing music) but you make your point well for these purposes.

5. I found it amusing that you used "peak" when you meant "peek" in a post that mentioned grammar corrections.

6. The line about your jaw didn't bother me, but it's filler.

Overall, nice work. You deserve whatever extra credit they give.

Brian V.

LOL Brian!

-It had to be 2 minutes

-The facebook thing is funny.. I should "cite" it in my credits section.

-Too funny with the "peak" thing!

- I'm not sure if I agree with the PSA or the entire paper that I wrote regrading digital piracy, but I think I make a decent argument.

Comment

I'm glad you saw it as a joke. When I re-read it later I thought I sounded like a bit of a dick. Honestly never meant it like that, perhaps I should have cited my attempt at humour too.

Anyway, nice work.
                      Member: IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mr3lions
                        View Post

I'm glad you saw it as a joke. When I re-read it later I thought I sounded like a bit of a dick. Honestly never meant it like that, perhaps I should have cited my attempt at humour too.

Anyway, nice work.

No worries at all! I love solid critique. The internet is about the last great place to get it.

Comment

Working...
                        X