Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gotta be honest. NY has some of the toughest DUI laws in the country. Zero Tolerence. 1st Offense is a 90 day mandatory suspension (most are 6 months depending on the level)a stiff fine, mandatory classes and usually costs about $4-5K to defend.

In 10 years of playing on the club scene I've never heard anyone say they weren't going out because they were afraid of getting a DUI. Not once. I've heard them mentioning avoiding a club, particular highway or a location because of activity or noteable check points. No one does house parties around here. To start, most everyone lives with their parents until their 30's... most don't buy their first home until their mid-30's. And no want wants to entertain much where they rent.

Here in the Northeast... cover band age is pretty much 25-45. Those under 25 are still into the original scene, dance clubs, DJ's etc. They usually start hooking on to bands when they get their first 'office' job... when people meet up after work together and find live music. This is just my experience... but most of the large A-list clubs that book live entertainment here are catering to that 25-45 blue collar/semi-professional working crowd. There's a hearty nightlife between 10pm and 2am (some cities 3-4am)

Things are different in NY.

By the same token my company is based in Northern CA (Santa Rosa). In the 10 years I've flown out for annual meetings, most bars are closed by 12am and it's usually 'sleepyville' even in the suburbs after 10pm. Going out is not much of a lifestyle and people certainly like to entertain at home. So I can see the difference for bands and musicians in different markets.
    so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

I gotta be honest. NY has some of the toughest DUI laws in the country. Zero Tolerence. 1st Offense is a 90 day mandatory suspension (most are 6 months depending on the level)a stiff fine, mandatory classes and usually costs about $4-5K to defend.

In 10 years of playing on the club scene I've never heard anyone say they weren't going out because they were afraid of getting a DUI. Not once. I've heard them mentioning avoiding a club, particular highway or a location because of activity or noteable check points. No one does house parties around here. To start, most everyone lives with their parents until their 30's... most don't buy their first home until their mid-30's. And no want wants to entertain much where they rent.

Here in the Northeast... cover band age is pretty much 25-45. Those under 25 are still into the original scene, dance clubs, DJ's etc. They usually start hooking on to bands when they get their first 'office' job... when people meet up after work together and find live music. This is just my experience... but most of the large A-list clubs that book live entertainment here are catering to that 25-45 blue collar/semi-professional working crowd. There's a hearty nightlife between 10pm and 2am (some cities 3-4am)

Things are different in NY.

By the same token my company is based in Northern CA (Santa Rosa). In the 10 years I've flown out for annual meetings, most bars are closed by 12am and it's usually 'sleepyville' even in the suburbs after 10pm. Going out is not much of a lifestyle and people certainly like to entertain at home. So I can see the difference for bands and musicians in different markets.
      so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

I agree with all of your "late night" posts today Grant!
        Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

I agree with all of your "late night" posts today Grant!
          Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant3
            View Post

Wow. I'm glad I didn't move out there like I originally planned when I was in my 20's. I had a blast going out every night "East Coast style"! Done by 12? I was just getting started around that time!
            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
            My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant3
              View Post

Wow. I'm glad I didn't move out there like I originally planned when I was in my 20's. I had a blast going out every night "East Coast style"! Done by 12? I was just getting started around that time!
              * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
              My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

Granted I'm a DJ these days but my room east of Portland Oregon is definitely not done by 12. We're just getting rolling and it's full all the way to closing.

Attendance is stable (busy) but turnover is huge. The people who used to go there regularly two years ago are now in the minority. But there's always a new crop of just turned 21s to take the place of those who move on. It's not DUI laws, changing economy, or changing music habits that make them move on - it's changing life. They marry, get stable jobs, take on responsibilities...

This thread's premise is just so weird. Young adults follow artists and genres far more than "trends" - just like older adults do.

It's just that they're different ones.

Comment

Granted I'm a DJ these days but my room east of Portland Oregon is definitely not done by 12. We're just getting rolling and it's full all the way to closing.

Attendance is stable (busy) but turnover is huge. The people who used to go there regularly two years ago are now in the minority. But there's always a new crop of just turned 21s to take the place of those who move on. It's not DUI laws, changing economy, or changing music habits that make them move on - it's changing life. They marry, get stable jobs, take on responsibilities...

This thread's premise is just so weird. Young adults follow artists and genres far more than "trends" - just like older adults do.

It's just that they're different ones.

Comment

i think the OP was talking about how people grow out of certain music... I guess some do, I still love me some MAIDEN! m/
                    www.ostrichhat.com

Comment

i think the OP was talking about how people grow out of certain music... I guess some do, I still love me some MAIDEN! m/
                      www.ostrichhat.com

Comment

I was thinking too about how it seems that, for a variety of reasons, the bar/club model for live music entertainment also seems to have competition as well.
                        Just-Got-Lucky
                        ----------------
                        My blogs: http://lwgat.blogspot.com/
                        My Music: http://www.fall-to-earth.com

Comment

I was thinking too about how it seems that, for a variety of reasons, the bar/club model for live music entertainment also seems to have competition as well.
                          Just-Got-Lucky
                          ----------------
                          My blogs: http://lwgat.blogspot.com/
                          My Music: http://www.fall-to-earth.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                            View Post

Because going out and partying and going to clubs has NEVER been about the music. Or at least not completely. Everything is true about drink prices and DUI laws, but it's also true that you're not going to meet a hot new chick and get laid at home.

When you're young and single, going out is at LEAST a weekly (if not practically nightly) event. When you get older--especially once you've gotten married---not so much.

As far as the music goes? I don't think it's as much about how the songs were written/performed as it is the nature of the live performance. Songs have been written by committees since at least the time that Berry Gordy opened up shop. People will go out and dance to DJs. Or watch Karaoke. They aren't particularly interested in seeing the music performed on the authentic instruments or being just-like-they-heard-it on the radio. Only musicians know the difference, for the most part. They just want to be entertained. If live bands want to compete with all the latest media delivery devices, then they've got to figure out new ways to be interesting and exciting. 4 guys playing guitars and drums has been the standard for 60 years now. They are trying to compete in a world of iPhones and Home Theaters with a black-and-white-TV-set-equivilant delivery system.

Not sure I can agree with that one. House parties can be very productive for a single guy. Nothing says sure thing like a friend wife inviting her single girl friend or co worker to a house party. I never was much on the bar scene. Back in the day we just didnt drink all that much , but we did get a lot of fresh air.
                            "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                              View Post

Because going out and partying and going to clubs has NEVER been about the music. Or at least not completely. Everything is true about drink prices and DUI laws, but it's also true that you're not going to meet a hot new chick and get laid at home.

When you're young and single, going out is at LEAST a weekly (if not practically nightly) event. When you get older--especially once you've gotten married---not so much.

As far as the music goes? I don't think it's as much about how the songs were written/performed as it is the nature of the live performance. Songs have been written by committees since at least the time that Berry Gordy opened up shop. People will go out and dance to DJs. Or watch Karaoke. They aren't particularly interested in seeing the music performed on the authentic instruments or being just-like-they-heard-it on the radio. Only musicians know the difference, for the most part. They just want to be entertained. If live bands want to compete with all the latest media delivery devices, then they've got to figure out new ways to be interesting and exciting. 4 guys playing guitars and drums has been the standard for 60 years now. They are trying to compete in a world of iPhones and Home Theaters with a black-and-white-TV-set-equivilant delivery system.

Not sure I can agree with that one. House parties can be very productive for a single guy. Nothing says sure thing like a friend wife inviting her single girl friend or co worker to a house party. I never was much on the bar scene. Back in the day we just didnt drink all that much , but we did get a lot of fresh air.
                              "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                                View Post

Not sure I can agree with that one. House parties can be very productive for a single guy. Nothing says sure thing like a friend wife inviting her single girl friend or co worker to a house party.

I can see that. I was always more of a "thrill of the chase" kinda guy though.
                                _________________________________________________
                                band websites:
                                http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
                                https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
                                https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
                                http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

Working...
                                X