No announcement yet.

You're Singing the Wrong Words!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoundWrangler
    started a topic You're Singing the Wrong Words!

You're Singing the Wrong Words!

An astounding percentage of what's posted on Internet "lyric" sites is incorrect. Also true of lyrics in published "piano/vocal/gtr" songbooks and fakebooks; or for that matter, sometimes what's printed on the CD/LP packaging itself. Also "with lyrics" YouTube videos, where someone has taken the considerable effort to time lyrics to audio playback, never noticing that the text onscreen doesn't match what they're hearing! Often the "wrong" lyric has become the new normal for cover versions...

Below are a couple of cases I bumped into recently. If you have any more, please post... not because singing the correct lyrics will make the world a better place (and if you must sing Brown-Eyed Girl or Sweet Home Alabama, etc., please make the effort to sing lyrics that are so wrong, you make the rest of your band laugh onstage; that will make the world a better place), but just because some of us find this sort of thing amusing.

WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN: in the bridge, the as-recorded lyrics are: "Well, this man, loves you, woman

• vanlatte
    replied
    This can be said not only of words and chords but sheet music and definitely guitar tabs.

Lord if I had a nickle for all of the awfully innacurate tabs I have seen. And I don't even use the damn things, usually comes up when somebody is playing something strange and they hand over what they downloaded and I just

Leave a comment:

• rangefinder
    replied
    Had we ever officially recorded one of those songs, though, I almost certainly would have insisted we call up whoever-it-is-you-gotta-call-up (you have to get the permission to record and release the song anyway) and make sure we had the right words

It would be some publishing company, and I'd be shocked if they knew or cared about anything but "Here's where to send the check."

Leave a comment:

• SoundWrangler
    replied
    ...and if you need the correct lyrics for Joe Cocker's version of "With A Little Help From My Friends":
    http://youtu.be/T4_MsrsKzMM

Leave a comment:

• Potts
    replied
    If you're going to try and figure out the lyrics to Yellow Ledbetter I suggest doing it with a mouth full of oatmeal.

Must watch...these are the correct lyrics

Leave a comment:

• 6StringSling
    replied
    If you're going to try and figure out the lyrics to Yellow Ledbetter I suggest doing it with a mouth full of oatmeal.

Leave a comment:

• Ku'Yleh
    replied
    Hell, even if I didn't know the correct word I always sang the syllables I heard so it sounded right.

hazam dazam bazam playin on my guitar
    we got the britons coming up from the floor

Leave a comment:

• drewl
    replied
    Hell, even if I didn't know the correct word I always sang the syllables I heard so it sounded right.

Leave a comment:

• guido61
    replied
    I don't mean two recorded versions. There are the "real" lyrics and the ones the artists use on the record to get air play. Some songs do have "live" released recordings, but in any case, often the "real" lyrics are obvious, even though you may never have heard them.

Ahh, gotcha. Well, I'm still sticking with the side who says he sang the "real" lyrics in this case.

Leave a comment:

• SeniorBlues
    replied
    Actually, no, and that's why this one is interesting. There's only the one version. And nobody agreeing on what he actually sang.

According to the wiki-page about the song, the argument was made that he said 'funk' so that it could get some radio play. I don't recall ever actually hearing it on the radio, although I do remember hearing it once over the speakers inside a mall clothing store once and thinking that was quite odd in 1983...

I don't mean two recorded versions. There are the "real" lyrics and the ones the artists use on the record to get air play. Some songs do have "live" released recordings, but in any case, often the "real" lyrics are obvious, even though you may never have heard them.

Leave a comment:

• guido61
    replied
    My guess is that like many songs, there are two versions, depending on the audience. "Tear the roof off the mothersucker." Yeah, right!

Actually, no, and that's why this one is interesting. There's only the one version. And nobody agreeing on what he actually sang.

According to the wiki-page about the song, the argument was made that he said 'funk' so that it could get some radio play. I don't recall ever actually hearing it on the radio, although I do remember hearing it once over the speakers inside a mall clothing store once and thinking that was quite odd in 1983...

Leave a comment:

• SoundWrangler
    replied
    Ooooh, almost forgot this

Leave a comment:

• SeniorBlues
    replied
    Here's an interesting one that I didn't even know was a controversy (pun intended) until recently.

Like most people probably, I always assumed Prince was singing "we can **************** until the dawn" in Erotic City. We were messing around with this song awhile back and one of the girls in my band insisted that, no, he's singing "FUNK until the dawn". I'm like, WTF, you're nuts. EVERYONE knows the lyric to that song!

I go look online, and it turns out this is something that has been debated for years.

So which is it?

My guess is that like many songs, there are two versions, depending on the audience. "Tear the roof off the mothersucker." Yeah, right!

Leave a comment:

• guido61
    replied
    Here's an interesting one that I didn't even know was a controversy (pun intended) until recently.

Like most people probably, I always assumed Prince was singing "we can **************** until the dawn" in Erotic City. We were messing around with this song awhile back and one of the girls in my band insisted that, no, he's singing "FUNK until the dawn". I'm like, WTF, you're nuts. EVERYONE knows the lyric to that song!

I go look online, and it turns out this is something that has been debated for years.

So which is it?

Leave a comment:

• guido61
    replied

I go look online, and it turns this is something that has been debated for years.

So which is it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X