Lady Marmalade

urca

• Members

This song brings back some very good memories, and Nanette Workman (the original artist) still rocks a stage, despite being well into her 60's (and looks damned good doing it). A friend of mine is the music director/keyboard player in her band (local area concerts), and he recently got me a back-stage pass to one of her shows (78,000 fans). Nanette looks like she's in her 40's, and she's a powerhouse on stage. She's got the voice,,, the looks,,,, and the moves, When she's up there, she OWNS every inch of that stage.

You really need good/tight back-up vocals to pull this one off. Great song.

• Members

We do it sometimes by mashing it up with Grace Potter's "Paris". Essentially we sing a couple of verses and chorus of LM over the "Paris" groove. Sometimes the response is good and sometimes just 'meh', but that's mostly because (IMO) the bulk of what we are doing is "Paris" which isn't that familiar of a tune in the first place.

Personally I like doing LM in that slower, blusier groove. The girl who sings it hates it, which is one reason we don't play it very often. She'd rather we did the faster, R&B, LaBelle groove. We played that version once at a gig as a special request for LM and it went over fine, but it was a special request so that's not a fair assessment of its general popularity.

One option would be to do the Moulin Rouge version of the song and medley it with something more modern. Can't think of anything off the top of my head that it would work well with though, but I'm sure there would be many likely candidates.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by stratotastic

View Post

We tried it but got a pretty lame response. I think there are too many starts and stops in the song to really get people moving. It might work if people were already in a frenzy, or maybe to just throw a verse/choruses into a medley or something but we haven't tried it.

Stops? Are you talking the Pink, Mya, Li' Kim Aguilera version? Listen to the finger snaps at the very start of the tune. Then the cowbell that comes in. Even when they do drop out, there is such a pulse in that arrangement. You just have to make sure as a band you don't geek out feel wise and rhythmically. Listen to that snare and the cowbell. Then the kick playing of the straight push and pull of quarter notes. Played well, with relaxed confidence in the 1 2 3 4... it's impossible for it not to kill.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by urca View Post
Yeah, we were thinking of doing the newer version and mixing it up with something else that's new. I do love the groove of the older version though.......
Yeah, that's a great groove. I dislike the bridge, though with the horn lines. Sounds very dated to me.

Although the tempos are different, one option might be trying to medley it with "Tell Me Something Good" if you're playing for a crowd into older R&B and you're looking to showcase the female singer.

Archived