Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

long distance over night gigs.....how to price?

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61






    Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
    View Post

    adding an amp to a cab makes it lighter?




    Then the combined weight of a separate amp and speaker and a crossover? That usually does seem to be the case. If not moreso.





    The JBL PRX612M weighs 33.5 lbs and has a bi-amped 1000W (2x500W) amp. The comparable passive PRX412M weighs 38 lbs with no amp and is rated at 600W. The powered version is actually LIGHTER.
    _________________________________________________
    Appears the singers biggest problem is pitch and to much lesser degree his tone or phrasing. --- chord123

    Comment


    • #62






      Quote Originally Posted by guido61
      View Post

      Then the combined weight of a separate amp and speaker and a crossover? That usually does seem to be the case. If not moreso.





      The JBL PRX612M weighs 33.5 lbs and has a bi-amped 1000W (2x500W) amp. The comparable passive PRX412M weighs 38 lbs with no amp and is rated at 600W. The powered version is actually LIGHTER.




      well then it isn't actually the same speaker, other than sharing the model number. The powered model must have neo mags or something similar vs the passive model. That is certainly not the norm. You'll find in most cases that there is probably a 10-15lb difference with the powered box being heavier, obviously. Also, these cabs listing the horn amp as being the same HP as the woofer amp is pretty devious. Obviously they aren't allowing 500 watts to be blasted into that horn driver.
      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
      www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
      -For Sale:
      -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
      - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
      - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

      Comment


      • #63






        Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
        View Post

        well then it isn't actually the same speaker, other than sharing the model number. The powered model must have neo mags or something similar vs the passive model. That is certainly not the norm. You'll find in most cases that there is probably a 10-15lb difference with the powered box being heavier, obviously. Also, these cabs listing the horn amp as being the same HP as the woofer amp is pretty devious. Obviously they aren't allowing 500 watts to be blasted into that horn driver.




        I don't know the full details on both speakers. Obviously there are some differences but the real question is: are the results the same? Maybe the different components that allow for a lighter active cab are the result of being able to precisely tune the amp to the speaker? Andy over at Live Sound would probably be the guy to ask about that.



        But even the 7 pound difference on the older PRX/MRX model isn't much. And even using your 10-15lb difference---I've never had an amp and a crossover in a rack that didn't weigh at LEAST 20lbs, have you?
        _________________________________________________
        Appears the singers biggest problem is pitch and to much lesser degree his tone or phrasing. --- chord123

        Comment


        • #64






          Quote Originally Posted by guido61
          View Post

          I don't know the full details on both speakers. Obviously there are some differences but the real question is: are the results the same? Maybe the different components that allow for a lighter active cab are the result of being able to precisely tune the amp to the speaker? Andy over at Live Sound would probably be the guy to ask about that.



          But even the 7 pound difference on the older PRX/MRX model isn't much. And even using your 10-15lb difference---I've never had an amp and a crossover in a rack that didn't weigh at LEAST 20lbs, have you?




          I have 9000 watts in my rack that has a total weight of about 29lbs for the power. And the amp and crossover add very little weight. Plus I would obviously want an EQ available regardless of whether it is a passive or active setup.
          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
          www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
          -For Sale:
          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

          Comment


          • #65






            Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
            View Post

            well then it isn't actually the same speaker, other than sharing the model number. The powered model must have neo mags or something similar vs the passive model. That is certainly not the norm. You'll find in most cases that there is probably a 10-15lb difference with the powered box being heavier, obviously. Also, these cabs listing the horn amp as being the same HP as the woofer amp is pretty devious. Obviously they aren't allowing 500 watts to be blasted into that horn driver.




            Show me some examples of most cases

            Comment


            • #66






              Quote Originally Posted by modulusman
              View Post

              How is it simpler? No heavy amp rack or crossover needed with powered cabs. I will never go back to passive gear.




              Powered speakers/monitors etc. = less **************** to plug in = less time to set-up/break-down = less PA equip fail = less headache. Took that road a while ago.

              Comment


              • #67






                Quote Originally Posted by modulusman
                View Post

                Show me some examples of most cases




                well common sense for one would say that all other things being exactly the same, the power amp will add something to the weight. If you have a specific model in mind that has a powered and passive version check it out. Nearly all the ones I have looked at have weight difference between the two.
                tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                -For Sale:
                -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

                Comment


                • #68






                  Quote Originally Posted by jimiv
                  View Post

                  Powered speakers/monitors etc. = less **************** to plug in = less time to set-up/break-down = less PA equip fail = less headache. Took that road a while ago.




                  Powered = less to plug in? Are your speakers wireless?
                  tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                  www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                  -For Sale:
                  -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                  -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                  - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                  - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                  - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    I am sold on powered speakers.
                    "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

                    Comment


                    • #70






                      Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                      View Post

                      I am sold on powered speakers.




                      for small, simple setups they are great, especially in situations where the users aren't too sound-savvy and don't really have any interest in becoming so.There are certainly many situations where I would recommend a powered setup over passive.
                      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                      www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                      -For Sale:
                      -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                      - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                      - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

                      Comment


                      • #71






                        Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                        View Post

                        well common sense for one would say that all other things being exactly the same, the power amp will add something to the weight. If you have a specific model in mind that has a powered and passive version check it out. Nearly all the ones I have looked at have weight difference between the two.




                        You are saying 10 -15 pounds. I call bull****************. I'm looking at an old mackie catalog right now that showed the active 450 weighing only 5 pounds more than the passive version c300. This was some of the first active speakers available. If you look at carvin the difference between their active a nd passive PM series is about 2 or 3 pounds.

                        Comment


                        • #72






                          Quote Originally Posted by modulusman
                          View Post

                          You are saying 10 -15 pounds. I call bull****************. I'm looking at an old mackie catalog right now that showed the active 450 weighing only 5 pounds more than the passive version c300. This was some of the first active speakers available. If you look at carvin the difference between their active a nd passive PM series is about 2 or 3 pounds.




                          well call what you wish. I'm not gonna dig thru a bunch of data . Its just what I've found when looking at different models.
                          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                          www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                          -For Sale:
                          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

                          Comment


                          • #73






                            Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                            View Post

                            for small, simple setups they are great, especially in situations where the users aren't too sound-savvy and don't really have any interest in becoming so.There are certainly many situations where I would recommend a powered setup over passive.




                            Well my band plays for crowds outdoors with more than 500 people a few times a year using all active cabs with no problems. I would also venture to guess that my PA weighs less than your outdated gear probably sounds better too.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              just looked up one of the more popular small/mid sized subs here, the Yorkie 800 line. The listed weight of the active version is about 21lbs higher.
                              tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                              www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                              -For Sale:
                              -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                              -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                              - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                              - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                              - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

                              Comment


                              • #75






                                Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                                View Post

                                well call what you wish. I'm not gonna dig thru a bunch of data . Its just what I've found when looking at different models.




                                Well you would have to do alot of digging because I have never seen an active version of a comparable cab weighing 15 pounds more IIRC.

                                Comment













                                Working...
                                X