Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

long distance over night gigs.....how to price?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31






    Quote Originally Posted by New Trail
    View Post

    Well that's a sad situation. I wonder if those folks try to get the caterers, or the venue, or the liquor suppliers, or the florists, to give a discount?




    LOL I do ,, i negotiated a 10 percent discount for cash at the dentist just yesterday.
    "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

    Comment


    • #32
      gigs more than an hour from home never made financial sense to me.

      Comment


      • #33






        Quote Originally Posted by sventvkg
        View Post

        gigs more than an hour from home never made financial sense to me.




        We have been doing a few fly and play shows a year. they are always a trade off between adventure and money. the last one paid great. the one before that was more of an adventure for bar wages with all the expenses paid. When you play the same venue all the time on the same little hunk of sand, its fun to just go do somthing different. You just have to take em one at a time and decide as a band if you want to go do it.
        "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

        Comment


        • #34






          Quote Originally Posted by sventvkg
          View Post

          gigs more than an hour from home never made financial sense to me.




          around here, you wouldn't have many gigs if you set your max radius at 60 miles. Many time band members are that far apart.
          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
          www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
          -For Sale:
          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

          Comment


          • #35






            Quote Originally Posted by New Trail
            View Post

            Well that's a sad situation. I wonder if those folks try to get the caterers, or the venue, or the liquor suppliers, or the florists, to give a discount?




            You bet your ass they do.
            Band

            Comment


            • #36






              Quote Originally Posted by sventvkg
              View Post

              gigs more than an hour from home never made financial sense to me.




              That all depends. For me.. an overnight trip that will net me $300 or better after expenses.. well, that's worth it for a day's work/drive/sleep. Others might have a different perspective, or have the money enough that they'd rather have the time instead of the cash. TomAto, ToMAto I suppose.

              Comment


              • #37






                Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird 13
                View Post

                or have the money enough that they'd rather have the time instead of the cash








                It's not that "we have enough money"...who the hell can say that?



                But your absolutely right it IS the fact that we'd rather make a little less money for a show that requires a little less work. Like I said before we've been asked to travel up to 5 hrs one-way for a gig. I quoted "around $2500-$3000" basically knowing full well we'd price ourselves out of it, and sure enough we didn't get the gig. Maybe I could've quoted $1000 and got it...but at that point our TIME is too valuable...it's not worth it. We didn't want the gig that badly. If they really wanted our band enough...they would've paid what we asked. Otherwise...tough ****************.



                Our furthest drive is about 1.25 hrs and we don't stay overnight. We make $1200. If we doubled the drive time, thereby we'd need to stay overnight, I wouldn't do it for much less than $2k....whatever you guys know what I mean...somewhere in that range. Sleeping away from my own house and my own bed and having to drive home in the morning after a ****************ty night's sleep in a hotel away from my wife and family...no thanks. To me those are all hours on the clock. If I'm doing that I'm BANKING or it just isn't worth the hassle.



                So to chime in on the 'debate' that's sort of going on...$2500 for a 1-nighter away from home is NOT out of line at all. If it's overpriced for the market like it usually is in our case...that's fine. We just don't do the gig. But it's not out of line. You're putting in a lot of hours. Just my thoughts.
                Christian

                SpaceCat
                www.spacecatband.com

                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix







                Originally Posted by wheresgrant3


                Our singer is basically butchering the Grade A material into deli meat, but don't fear... the crowd is there for big sandwiches.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Our normal rate is $1600. Our 1 hour away out of town rate is $2000 & 3 rooms minimum. The best we've done is $2300 & 5 rooms. We were about an hour away. A 3 hour trip would easily be $2500. Like others have said, any less and it's just not worth it.
                  PA Unity15's over LS800p's. YX15's, YX12's IPR power, RM32AI

                  LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

                  Comment


                  • #39






                    Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19
                    View Post





                    It's not that "we have enough money"...who the hell can say that?



                    But your absolutely right it IS the fact that we'd rather make a little less money for a show that requires a little less work. Like I said before we've been asked to travel up to 5 hrs one-way for a gig. I quoted "around $2500-$3000" basically knowing full well we'd price ourselves out of it, and sure enough we didn't get the gig. Maybe I could've quoted $1000 and got it...but at that point our TIME is too valuable...it's not worth it. We didn't want the gig that badly. If they really wanted our band enough...they would've paid what we asked. Otherwise...tough ****************.



                    Our furthest drive is about 1.25 hrs and we don't stay overnight. We make $1200. If we doubled the drive time, thereby we'd need to stay overnight, I wouldn't do it for much less than $2k....whatever you guys know what I mean...somewhere in that range. Sleeping away from my own house and my own bed and having to drive home in the morning after a ****************ty night's sleep in a hotel away from my wife and family...no thanks. To me those are all hours on the clock. If I'm doing that I'm BANKING or it just isn't worth the hassle.



                    So to chime in on the 'debate' that's sort of going on...$2500 for a 1-nighter away from home is NOT out of line at all. If it's overpriced for the market like it usually is in our case...that's fine. We just don't do the gig. But it's not out of line. You're putting in a lot of hours. Just my thoughts.




                    Ultimately, it all comes down to perception. There is a band around here that charges $1000/night. They play a lot of the same bars the other bands play (the ones that get paid $300-500/night), but they still get paid what they get paid. Why? They have built up the perception that they are 'a cut above' and are worth the money. And they get it. I don't know if they play a lot of private parties, but I'm sure they would charge closer to what you are describing if they did. They have great lighting, a decent website, good logo, fantastic musicians/singers, a more modern setlist and 10+ years with the same name (the lead guitarist/bandleader is the only original member left). All of that contributes to their value as a band.



                    But not all bands can simply say "pay me this" and they will get that, simply by asking. It's how the market (buyer) perceives your group. Because we are a three-piece, there is an instant stigma against us that we are not as good as a four or five-piece band. I've heard some of the four- and five-piece bands around here, and we are actually better than some of them. However, people only realize that AFTER we play. So, due to the availability of one of the members, we take a different approach. We live in the dive bar scene and stretch that money further as a trio rather than play every weekend as a four- or five-piece (with soundman), investing in a huge truck and trailer and $1000s in PA and lighting. If we did all that, sure, we could probably command higher pay but there is a lot more headache involved as well.



                    But anyway, you gotta stack as many cards in your favor as possible. You guys are doing that by adding keys on a few songs, changing your lighting, losing the music stand, dressing nicer, etc. These are all factors that add value to your band. race81's band would have to do the same in order to demand similar fees for his group.
                    (This is my Non-Signature.)

                    Comment


                    • #40






                      Quote Originally Posted by race81
                      View Post

                      All good points......venue is a private birthday party @ a very big lake. There are some very nice clubs in this area, so we were thinking of trying to connect with some of them while down there. There could possibly be more jobs come out of this gig. I know 3 hrs of a drive is not that far for some, but for me the P.A. specialist/roadie/drummer/vocalist...im dead tired after we get done. This would be our first job out of town that required an over night stay IMO. From my figures....and upping the band members pay by a whopping $25 each, it looks to be around $1200.......expenses are making up around half of the total. Heres how I broke it down....



                      fuel for 2 vehicles..........................$200

                      meals..(lunch/dinner/breakfast)........$180

                      motel..........................................$22 5

                      band...........................................$60 0

                      _____________________________________

                      total $1205




                      You're not too too far off. I would x out meals except one on the way back (day two). Here was our last job and the quote where we played three hours north of here and stayed overnight. Granted, it was a wedding, but I wouldn't discount the price too much just because it is a party.



                      Gig Request

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Most of our gigs involve a good deal of travel and overnight stay for at least some of the band members. (Two of us live 100 miles from the rest.) Whether we charge extra for the travel expenses or include them in the price is more just a matter of negotiating tactic---sometimes it's easier to get XXXX+rooms than it is to get YYYY-with-rooms-included. Kinda just depends on the person you're dealing with and something you just sort of have to learn to "feel out" when talking to people. I can't really explain how best to do that.



                        Since many of our gigs will involve 4 rooms and gas for 3 vehicles, travel expenses usually run several hundred dollars. At the end of the day, you've got to decide for yourselves whether the time spend and the net income is worth the trouble of an overnight gig. If you start trying to figure your "per hour" income on a gig that is going to end up taking 24 hours to complete, obviously you're not going to be making very much money.
                        _________________________________________________
                        band websites:
                        http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
                        https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
                        https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
                        http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

                        Comment


                        • #42






                          Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
                          View Post

                          Our normal rate is $1600. Our 1 hour away out of town rate is $2000 & 3 rooms minimum. The best we've done is $2300 & 5 rooms. We were about an hour away. A 3 hour trip would easily be $2500. Like others have said, any less and it's just not worth it.




                          you stay overnight for a 60 mile gig??
                          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                          www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                          -For Sale:
                          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

                          Comment


                          • #43






                            Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                            View Post

                            It really depends on the band. A 300 dollar band is still a three hundred dollar band even though they are 150 miles away from home.




                            This is nearly quotable!
                            tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                            www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                            -For Sale:
                            -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                            -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                            - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                            - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                            - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

                            Comment


                            • #44






                              Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                              View Post

                              you stay overnight for a 60 mile gig??




                              Yeah. The place doesn't want us tearing down all night. We are able to get everything pretty much ready for load out. We do as much as we can, until the staff is ready to leave. Stay the night. Grab breakfast, load up and head home. We don't do a lot of out of town gigs. It's not a bar, so we have to bring out whole setup with us.
                              PA Unity15's over LS800p's. YX15's, YX12's IPR power, RM32AI

                              LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

                              Comment


                              • #45






                                Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
                                View Post

                                It's not a bar, so we have to bring out whole setup with us.




                                "It's a bar, so we had to bring our whole setup with us!" is something that I often have to say, and a lot of the people who aren't from around here don't get it.



                                There are probably 60 venues with bands, and another 60 who "dabble" in live music with cheaper bands, acoustic acts, and the like. Of the 120-ish places.. maybe 12 of them have a house PA. Of those 10.. maybe 3 of them have a PA that functions well enough to put on a professional show. Is that just a thing in this area... do the bars and clubs in most places have PA and lights already?

                                Comment



                                Working...
                                X