Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many.

Tomorrow, Wendy

When You Say Nothing At All

Every Rose Has Its Thorn

The One I Love (could be faster, but we play a slow version)

Someone Like You

Stay (Sugarland)

You on My Mind in My Sleep

Sonnet

XXYY
    http://www.stlband.com
    http://www.youtube.com/sweepthelegband
    http://www.facebook.com/sweepthelegband

Comment

several per set.
      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
      www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
      -For Sale:
      -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
      - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
      - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

0%. We are an 80s cover band and play songs by INXS, REM, The Cult, The Cure, Psycheldelic Furs, The Plimsols, The Clash, New Order, U2, etc. Most of our crowd are professionals(attorneys, salesmen, realtors, engineers, Ph.d.'s, etc.) and want to dance the night away with the songs from their teen and university years. The bars love us because our crowd buys top-shelf booze and we usually fill up the place. We are a hobby/dad band but we strive to keep the energy level high throughout the evening. We've played weddings and don't play slow songs/ballads at those gigs.
        Everybody is terminally ill.

Comment

I Found a Love

Into the Mystic

Let's Get It On

What a Wonderful World

When Something is Wrong With My Baby

Comment

Although if songs like Santeria are being considered slow (), then maybe one or two in the first set. Actually we play Who Knew by Pink once in a while, so there's that one...
            Band

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by capitalist
              View Post

0%. We are an 80s cover band and play songs by INXS, REM, The Cult, The Cure, Psycheldelic Furs, The Plimsols, The Clash, New Order, U2, etc. Most of our crowd are professionals(attorneys, salesmen, realtors, engineers, Ph.d.'s, etc.) and want to dance the night away with the songs from their teen and university years. The bars love us because our crowd buys top-shelf booze and we usually fill up the place. We are a hobby/dad band but we strive to keep the energy level high throughout the evening. We've played weddings and don't play slow songs/ballads at those gigs.

I wish my band could be like yours...
              http://www.stlband.com
              http://www.youtube.com/sweepthelegband
              http://www.facebook.com/sweepthelegband

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by nousername
                View Post

I wish my band could be like yours...

Mine is, at least as far as song/act selection goes.

100% what's listed is at the core of our song book.
                For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

capitalist, you don't play slow songs at weddings? WTF? Seriously? What does the bride say when she can't have her Father-Daughter dance?
                  --Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85Follow my new band, Dr. Bombay! We're going to be organasmic!

Comment

Almost none. We do "Let's Get It On" on a regular basis... and have thrown out "Simple Man" and "Every Rose" has it's thorn here and there.. but we tend to not do slow stuff with the full band.

Acoustic, it's a bit of a different ballgame.. but you still don't wanna go overboard with it. No more than 1 for every 7 or 8 mid to uptempo songs..

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird 13
                      View Post

Almost none. We do "Let's Get It On" on a regular basis... and have thrown out "Simple Man" and "Every Rose" has it's thorn here and there.. but we tend to not do slow stuff with the full band.

Acoustic, it's a bit of a different ballgame.. but you still don't wanna go overboard with it. No more than 1 for every 7 or 8 mid to uptempo songs..

"you" meaning you, right? There isn't a blanket policy that works for all bands or solo artists.
                      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                      -For Sale:
                      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wesg
                        View Post

capitalist, you don't play slow songs at weddings? WTF? Seriously? What does the bride say when she can't have her Father-Daughter dance?

yeah, seems whack. But if they are successful doing as they do.......
                        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                        -For Sale:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wesg
                          View Post

We played a wedding a few months ago at an art gallery. Generally, we don't learn slow songs because we don't want to play them. The bride received our set list before we were hired and knew what we were going to play.
                          Everybody is terminally ill.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                            View Post

"you" meaning you, right? There isn't a blanket policy that works for all bands or solo artists.

This is true. I meant more as a general rule with a cover band playing clubs, which is what a majority of the discussions here are about. There are always circumstances and exceptions, and I apologize for making such a "one size fits all" statement.

Comment

The country band I play in usually does 2 or 3 slower songs a set. They also will usually pack the dance floor. In the classic rock band I play with maybe 2 or 3 all night.

Comment

We play a whole lot. . . we're mainly a Jimmy Buffett tribute act and other stuff like that a he has a lot of ballads like "Pirate Looks at 40" and "He West to Paris". I'd say 1/3 of our set is slow/mid-tempo ballad stuff. Is "Captain Jack" a ballad?
                                Check my band: SoulPlay - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TH9-e4FmaE
                                Key Rig: Alesis Fusion 8HD; Roland A-800 Pro; Toshiba i7 laptop running Cantabile VST host with IK Multimedia Total Workstation Bundle, NI Vintage Organs, Tyrell N6, Sylenth1, Imperfect Samples Walnut Concert Grand, NI FM8; Tascam US-1641 USB MIDI/Audio Interface; 2 x RCF Art 310-A MK III series monitors.

Comment

Working...
                                X