Way off topic. Got LASIK today! Anyone else had it or thinking about it?

bassred

• Members

I didnt have lasik, but I did have Lens implants because of cataracts, I know what you are feeling. It was amazing. I could see better the night of the surgery than I ever did with glasses. It was like having teen age vision again.

Good luck with your surgery , and follow all the instructions to a T .. You dont want any complications.

• Members

Thought about for years. But I've long worn extended-wear contacts and the things are so damned comfortable that I'll often go a couple of months without bothering to change them. So I figure, what's the point?

What's bothering me more is how dependant I've become on reading glasses over the past few months. Damn, getting old sucks.

Oh well, at least I can still get through the night without having to get up to pee. thumb.gif For another couple of years maybe anyway... facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mstreck View Post
My eyes are too bad. I'd still need contacts or glasses.

Oh well... maybe the technology will improve in another five years?
I expect to see them go to clear cataract surgery like they do in europe. Its a better surgery with more predictable results and less complications. After lasik cataract surgery is more risky. My cousin is a retired eye surgeon. His feeling is that if you can see well with glasses or contacts dont take the risk of surgery till you have to. RK was the cutting edge when he first got into practice. that was a horrid proceedure.

I have had some major vision issues in my life. laser surgery for CSR in the early 90s on my right eye. Lost vision down to 20/70 in my left eye due to CRS in those same years. cataracts in both eyes a couple years ago , and a couple yag laser procedures because of cloudy capsules after the cataract surery ,, and a retina tear in my good eye after that due to posterior vitrus detatchment in my good eye ,, and a posterior vitrus detachment in the left eye with no damage. Its common for that to happen as you age. I tend to agree with my cousin. Man if you can see good with your glasses ,, why take chances for vanity on teh only pair of eyes you will ever have. that said ,, I think clear cataract surgery is going to be the way to go in the future. Lots of people have had lasik and are happy ,, but anytime they do eye surgery its a risk. Really think about any decisions you make.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bassred View Post
Wearing silly looking goggles and watching TV..

SO far so god, I can see almost as well as I did with glasses before, and this is just the first day of healing!

WHat are your experiences with LASIK?

Twelve years ago, went in to get LASIK, met this chick in the waiting room, married her. Possibly the most expensive minor corrective surgery in history.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable

View Post

Twelve years ago, went in to get LASIK, met this chick in the waiting room, married her. Possibly the most expensive minor corrective surgery in history.

I'm not reading anything about divorce so I'm assuming that the expenses are continuing. Good mates are hard to find, so count yourself as blessed.

• Members

Does anybody know any eye doctors who have had lasik? I moved around a bit in the last 5-6 years and went to several eye doctors. I noticed most of them wore glasses. It leads me to believe most eye doctors feel glasses are the way to go over contacts and lasik. Or perhaps these three all just preferred them.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Yer Blues

View Post

Does anybody know any eye doctors who have had lasik? I moved around a bit in the last 5-6 years and went to several eye doctors. I noticed most of them wore glasses. It leads me to believe most eye doctors feel glasses are the way to go over contacts and lasik. Or perhaps these three all just preferred them.

They make their living with their eyes. If they cant see well they cant do eye surgery or even refract you. Its like a dentist , they gotta see and see well. Big money rides on their vision. They dont take any chances with it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by J.Paul View Post
Gwen had Lasik about 10 years ago and has nothing but good things to say...
I had an uncle who did it right when the procedure came out and had complications, it's come along way since then.
I am sure its getting better, but I am sure there are still complications . Things like halos at night ,, star bursts etc. I do know that lasik ups the complication odds for cataract surgery if you have to have it later. Everything is a risk. My lens implants are not perfect. Acrylic implants thow ghost images , star bursts and halos. But I was legally blind in the daytime prior ,, so I see great. I can function well without glasses except for reading. I have cheaters and an actual pair of progressive lenses. I am a happy camper. I can see.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Yer Blues

View Post

Maybe they just don't trust any other doctors but themselves to do the surgery 'right'.

• Members

So here's my take on the whole thing. It's pretty amazing.

There is really no pain because they put a ton of numbing drops into your eyes. They also gave me Valium to fight off the nerves. Besides a little discomfort from when they put the suction thingy on your eye, it was really pretty easy. A little bit of gritty feeling, but not even enough to make you want to rub your eyes. As long as you follow the post-op steps and use the 2 prescription eyedrops 3 times a day and regular drops every hour, it's a pretty easy recovery!

My eyes are getting tired mid-day, but I'm still just 2 days after the surgery. I do notice some halos at night, but these will most likely fade away. My vision was 20/20 when I went for my checkup the next day.

Funny story how I decided to get LASIK, actually. My wife put $2500 on her FSA card just in case we got pregnant this year... (if you aren't familiar with Flexible Spending Accounts, it is money that you have for medical needs that is tax free - but if you don't spend what you designate by the end of the year, whatever is remaining goes to the government.) Coming up on the end of October, my wife realized that we were going to have to figure out something to do with that money that was on the list of approved items. She asked if I had thought about LASIK, and that was that. I've thought about it in the past, but never really seriously. I always thought it was out of reach, money-wise ($3000 for both eyes), but I am so very glad I got it!

An important thing to mention: I've had friends who went the cheap route and chose their LASIK office based on discounted/cheaper price, and for the most part they have mentioned their remorse for not going based on reputation... I went with Dr Kent Wellish because of his reputation in the area and could not have been happier. The staff were all amazing and I cannot say enough good about the experience!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
Thought about for years. But I've long worn extended-wear contacts and the things are so damned comfortable that I'll often go a couple of months without bothering to change them. So I figure, what's the point?

What's bothering me more is how dependant I've become on reading glasses over the past few months. Damn, getting old sucks.

Oh well, at least I can still get through the night without having to get up to pee. thumb.gif For another couple of years maybe anyway... facepalm.gif
Yep, I'd do it immediately if it got rid of the up close fuzziness of old eyes. But I don't think it does anything for that, correct?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead View Post
Yep, I'd do it immediately if it got rid of the up close fuzziness of old eyes. But I don't think it does anything for that, correct?
Yes and no. Some people go with what they call mono vision. One eye for distance , the other for up close. They also have progressive ocular lens implants.

When they did my lens implants the only corrected me to 20/25. that gives me mid vision and the only thing I need reading glasses for is real up close work. I can play in the band without glasses the vast majority of a time. I use a +1 reading glasses for the computer. I drive with out glasses. Mono vision is not for everyone. It drives some people crazy

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bassred View Post
So here's my take on the whole thing. It's pretty amazing.

There is really no pain because they put a ton of numbing drops into your eyes. They also gave me Valium to fight off the nerves. Besides a little discomfort from when they put the suction thingy on your eye, it was really pretty easy. A little bit of gritty feeling, but not even enough to make you want to rub your eyes. As long as you follow the post-op steps and use the 2 prescription eyedrops 3 times a day and regular drops every hour, it's a pretty easy recovery!

My eyes are getting tired mid-day, but I'm still just 2 days after the surgery. I do notice some halos at night, but these will most likely fade away. My vision was 20/20 when I went for my checkup the next day.

Funny story how I decided to get LASIK, actually. My wife put $2500 on her FSA card just in case we got pregnant this year... (if you aren't familiar with Flexible Spending Accounts, it is money that you have for medical needs that is tax free - but if you don't spend what you designate by the end of the year, whatever is remaining goes to the government.) Coming up on the end of October, my wife realized that we were going to have to figure out something to do with that money that was on the list of approved items. She asked if I had thought about LASIK, and that was that. I've thought about it in the past, but never really seriously. I always thought it was out of reach, money-wise ($3000 for both eyes), but I am so very glad I got it!

An important thing to mention: I've had friends who went the cheap route and chose their LASIK office based on discounted/cheaper price, and for the most part they have mentioned their remorse for not going based on reputation... I went with Dr Kent Wellish because of his reputation in the area and could not have been happier. The staff were all amazing and I cannot say enough good about the experience!
glad things are workin out great...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero

View Post

I may have to get it someday, i have 20/700 without glasses, but to be honest im a bit terrified about doing anything surgical with my eyes until i absolutely have to.

I agree you should be. You are really near sighted , that ups the risk for eye surgery

Archived