Venue owners/managers DO talk

mstreck

• Members

Before our gig on Saturday, the manager pulled me into his office to tell me that he recommended his top five bands to a venue that has a good built-in crowd in Chincoteague, VA (about an hour away). He told them that his bands are "expensive" and told them the $$$$ range that we'd all charge to travel down there. The other venue said that would be no problem and asked for our contact info, so we should be expecting a call from them soon. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Side note: He also told me the names of the other bands that he recommended. It's nice to be included in that list.thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mstreck View Post
Before our gig on Saturday, the manager pulled me into his office to tell me that he recommended his top five bands to a venue that has a good built-in crowd in Chincoteague, VA (about an hour away). He told them that his bands are "expensive" and told them the $$$$ range that we'd all charge to travel down there. The other venue said that would be no problem and asked for our contact info, so we should be expecting a call from them soon. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Side note: He also told me the names of the other bands that he recommended. It's nice to be included in that list.thumb.gif
Pretty sure I know where you're talking about. If you guys get in there, let me know, I might make the trip up if we're off that night!

• Members

Well I am glad you got some action here..but..maybe Im just cynical..but whats in it for the club that recomended you? Is this just because you've worked real hard for him? (and the other bands, I assume..)
It all sounds good...just trying to understand. many club owners dont do things this kind...just sayin. Thats all.
btw: Tell Misty I said "hi!!!"
GtrGeorge

• Members

Well I am glad you got some action here..but..maybe Im just cynical..but whats in it for the club that recomended you? Is this just because you've worked real hard for him? (and the other bands, I assume..)
It all sounds good...just trying to understand. many club owners dont do things this kind...just sayin. Thats all.
GtrGeorge

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge! View Post
whats in it for the club that recomended you?
What's in it for a supervisor who writes you a glowing recommendation to help you get a new job elsewhere? Maybe it's just a professional courtesy?

We *do* have a good professional relationship with this venue and are able to keep their crowd - as do the other four bands that he mentioned, so maybe he just wanted to pay it forward?

But we are also complimented on our professionalism - by this venue and others - and have been told about other bands that do/say stupid stuff on stage and *don't* act professionally (none of which were recommended, by the way). Not that we're "all that" professionally, but sometimes it helps to simply do your job without acting like an idiot.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22

View Post

Nice, and good of him to let them know it will cost a bit. Was the range he mentioned good for you?

Yep! Right around what we'd ask to make that trip. It's an hour away from him but two hours away from us.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge! View Post
GtrGeorge
I'm thinking it's some fresh blood for the out of town owner, some proven fresh blood. Maybe that club owner suggested 4 bands to send the other way as well..

A bit of variety headed each way...

Yep! Right around what we'd ask to make that trip. It's an hour away from him but two hours away from us.
Good stuff!! Glad to hear it what you were expecting, for such a trip!

thumb.gif

• Members

Not uncommon for managers or owners, here, to call and ask around about bands or even the ones they have not heard of before they book...even locally. If your on top of your game, you have nothing to worry about. Props to your group for being in the list!!

• Members

I'm betting that behavior truly varies by the market and by the owners, but I know one guy who doesn't hesitate to ask around about the bands, and as a result, he has a great roster of easy to work with, fun bands in his bar.

As said above, maybe it's just good friendly business!

• Members
What's in it for a supervisor who writes you a glowing recommendation to help you get a new job elsewhere? Maybe it's just a professional courtesy?

We *do* have a good professional relationship with this venue and are able to keep their crowd - as do the other four bands that he mentioned, so maybe he just wanted to pay it forward?

But we are also complimented on our professionalism - by this venue and others - and have been told about other bands that do/say stupid stuff on stage and *don't* act professionally (none of which were recommended, by the way). Not that we're "all that" professionally, but sometimes it helps to simply do your job without acting like an idiot.
Of course it does. No one likes dealing with immature idiots.

• Members

Dont take what I said the wrong way...sometimes (most times) there is more to things than meets the eye..and its not a bad thing to think about things in this way. It can save you some hassles, for sure.
Its great that they recommended your band. Have fun with it!!!

GtrGeorge

Archived