Musician carts - well worth the cost

bassred

• Members

Since I switched from bass to guitar over a year ago, I've been getting more and more stuff that I carry to gigs (used to be a combo amp a bass and a pedalboard)... SO I now have Two guitars (and I got an acoustic/electric resonator for Christmas, so that will make 3..) my combo amp, my pedal board and pedal guard, my little silver case of cables and 'just in case' stuff and a 5 guitar stand/rack.

I bit the bullet and bought an Ultimate Js-cC80 cart on Saturday, and I think it has already paid for itself!

We had planned to rehearse on Sunday evening for our set with Gary Allan (that was tonight, and went really well!) and then we got a call to see if we could cover at the HOuse of Blues restaurant last night, so I had two places to take my gear just yesterday. Then, I rolled my neatly packed cart down into the concert hall and left my stuff for tonights show. After our set, I loaded up the cart and pushed it out the back door (a few steps to go down, but really not too much/too heavy even loaded) and my gear was all in my car in no time.

I had a hard time convincing my wife that $100 was a reasonable price for a cart, but can already say I should have bought one of these many many years ago..

Just thought I'd share my thoughts. - Jon (the guy with less aches in his back/legs now!)

JS-KC80_01_LG.jpg

• Members

I bought a convertible hand truck/dolly for hauling my spinet organ, but found it was handy for many other things, too... Including bringing firewood into the house, lol.

Last night I was thankful I had it for sure... I played a big band gig at place that is a Long walk from the parking lot and I was wearing nice clothes. I loaded it with my stupid heavy (70 lbs?) keyboard amp, stand, bench, bag of tricks, music folder, and two music stands... The second trip I only had to carry my piano, easy as pie. Without the cart it would have been a minimum of four trips in and out.

• Members

I bought a convertible hand truck/dolly for hauling my spinet organ, but found it was handy for many other things, too... Including bringing firewood into the house, lol.

Last night I was thankful I had it for sure... I played a big band gig at place that is a Long walk from the parking lot and I was wearing nice clothes. I loaded it with my stupid heavy (70 lbs?) keyboard amp, stand, bench, bag of tricks, music folder, and two music stands... The second trip I only had to carry my piano, easy as pie. Without the cart it would have been a minimum of four trips in and out.

• Members

I bought the Rock & Roller version about the same size as the OPs last year. Best $90 I've spent on gear in forever. Couldn't go back now.
A 5 piece kit with cymbal bag, 2 hardware bags, my in-ears case, pad controller case, tech/tool bag...that used to be 4-5 trips easy, plus 3-4 more if we brought our PA.

I can get all the kit and accessories in 2 trips with the cart, and the PA gear I carry (mixer, mics, mic stands, cables) in another. And minimize the aches in my back at the same time...

priceless

• Members

I bought the Rock & Roller version about the same size as the OPs last year. Best $90 I've spent on gear in forever. Couldn't go back now.
A 5 piece kit with cymbal bag, 2 hardware bags, my in-ears case, pad controller case, tech/tool bag...that used to be 4-5 trips easy, plus 3-4 more if we brought our PA.

I can get all the kit and accessories in 2 trips with the cart, and the PA gear I carry (mixer, mics, mic stands, cables) in another. And minimize the aches in my back at the same time...

priceless

• Members

There's some pretty good info in the following thread too.

I went to purchase the Rock and Roller cart and found two things that prevented me from purchasing it.

1. It's way too narrow for me
2. It's way over-priced.

On the recommendation of someone here I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a cart that has a collapsible handle...price- $50 or so. it ways about 20 pounds and I just toss it in the back of the truck. Sure it's a little bigger but that's why I bought it. I don't want my gear rolling off the side or something stupid. And if the bar or venue is busy- they can move. I've used this cart for about 50 gigs now and it's solid.

Cart Thread from a Few Months Ago

• Members

There's some pretty good info in the following thread too.

I went to purchase the Rock and Roller cart and found two things that prevented me from purchasing it.

1. It's way too narrow for me
2. It's way over-priced.

On the recommendation of someone here I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a cart that has a collapsible handle...price- $50 or so. it ways about 20 pounds and I just toss it in the back of the truck. Sure it's a little bigger but that's why I bought it. I don't want my gear rolling off the side or something stupid. And if the bar or venue is busy- they can move. I've used this cart for about 50 gigs now and it's solid.

Cart Thread from a Few Months Ago

• Members

I use the R&R version when there's a long way to go from car to stage, but have also placed a lot of effort into just shrinking down and lightening up what I bring to gigs. A Variax eliminates the need for multiple guitars and comes with a gig bag to sling over your shoulder, a DV Mark Mini12 cab accepts 200 watts and weighs 12 pounds, a Carvin V3M puts out 50 watts, is under 20 lbs and fits into a shoulder bag, and my Pedaltrain pedalboard slings over my shoulder in its case. It's only two trips from the car in most cases for all that, along with my mic, amp and guitar stands (for one guitar only).

• Members

I bought one second-hand (a much older version of the OP's) more than a decade ago and can testify to their usefulness, particularly when your approach is long & flat.

I also have a Safeco folding hand truck for smaller loads or places where I have to negotiate steps or tight spaces.

11968983.jpg

They have also come in handy with moving a college-age daughter to & from school.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kmart

View Post

I bought the Rock & Roller version about the same size as the OPs last year. Best $90 I've spent on gear in forever.

Yeah, I bought one of those recently. I don't play bass much anymore, but when I do, I'm glad I've got it. They make a bunch of different models; I bought the cheapest/smallest one they have and it gets the job done, even works OK on grass if it's not too bumpy.

Archived