Need your opinion: My bands promo Video

GtrGeorge!

• Members

Fixed. thumb.gif

First quick run through... that font has to go, and that crawl is WAY too fast. I would get rid of it. Maybe have the band's actual logo come up for a few seconds and then drop down to a "button" on the lower left. Also right as the music fades out there is some kind of audio glitch.

• Members

Personally I would like to see a wider variety of tunes, or at least more tunes.

maybe this is "your Thing", but The vid Was WAAAY too cheesy for me. sorry if this offends.

lastly, the contact info and stuff at the end, why not display that for a period over the vid instead of 30 secs of silence at the end.

Altogether, i would try to up the professionalism of the vid. Im not talking sound quality, it just needs to be more catchy/appealing IMO

• Members

Personally I would like to see a wider variety of tunes, or at least more tunes.

maybe this is "your Thing", but The vid Was WAAAY too cheesy for me. sorry if this offends.

lastly, the contact info and stuff at the end, why not display that for a period over the vid instead of 30 secs of silence at the end.

Altogether, i would try to up the professionalism of the vid. Im not talking sound quality, it just needs to be more catchy/appealing IMO

• Moderators

Until you do another...

I'd take the audio (strip it from the vid) and EQ it. Then add a nice sounding IR reverb to regain the ambiance that it needs. It's very clear that you're in a tent, and there really isn't a great sounding ambiance there, but you can choose something that sounds great without bringing attention to the fact that you've added a room that wasn't there. As it stands now...

...it is good and better than not having a vid to show your band easily. But I'd try and up the audio. If you're interested, PM me and I'll see what I can do... but maybe you can or you know someone?

BTW, I do agree with the other input. So, like I say, if you are interested, let me know via a PM so we can make sure you've got your visuals locked in before we strip the audio.

But also like I say, it is better than not having a video. It shows your group and what you do without doing damage. thumb.gif

If you were to decide to recut the vid, I like the idea of the text showing the groups you play, but you might be better mentioning genres instead of groups. Groups limit you. But genres are open to your future changes and additions.

Also, with something like Adobe After Effects, you can easily zoom in and pan to make your existing footage a bit more interesting and involved.

• Moderators

Until you do another...

I'd take the audio (strip it from the vid) and EQ it. Then add a nice sounding IR reverb to regain the ambiance that it needs. It's very clear that you're in a tent, and there really isn't a great sounding ambiance there, but you can choose something that sounds great without bringing attention to the fact that you've added a room that wasn't there. As it stands now...

...it is good and better than not having a vid to show your band easily. But I'd try and up the audio. If you're interested, PM me and I'll see what I can do... but maybe you can or you know someone?

BTW, I do agree with the other input. So, like I say, if you are interested, let me know via a PM so we can make sure you've got your visuals locked in before we strip the audio.

But also like I say, it is better than not having a video. It shows your group and what you do without doing damage. thumb.gif

If you were to decide to recut the vid, I like the idea of the text showing the groups you play, but you might be better mentioning genres instead of groups. Groups limit you. But genres are open to your future changes and additions.

Also, with something like Adobe After Effects, you can easily zoom in and pan to make your existing footage a bit more interesting and involved.

• Members

cool....good feedback! I like any specific suggestions. It all helps.
If it helps to know: this video was shot for free(!!) at a gig we happened to be doing...turned into a video later. Its not our only video,just a video we use now and again to give an idea of what we play.
Condering budgets/time..I think, as you said, we did no harm.
GtrGeorge
so 1) slow the crawl 2) remove some time at the end 3) improve audio What else?

• Members

cool....good feedback! I like any specific suggestions. It all helps.
If it helps to know: this video was shot for free(!!) at a gig we happened to be doing...turned into a video later. Its not our only video,just a video we use now and again to give an idea of what we play.
Condering budgets/time..I think, as you said, we did no harm.
GtrGeorge
so 1) slow the crawl 2) remove some time at the end 3) improve audio What else?

• Members

I'd have to agree with everything Jeff said the drop shadow on the font, that just looks odd. The crawl should run slower, I don't think having it take longer would hurt anything. You could also crawl the contact info if you pull the other stuff or even tack it to the end of the crawl and stop on that.

• Members

I'd have to agree with everything Jeff said the drop shadow on the font, that just looks odd. The crawl should run slower, I don't think having it take longer would hurt anything. You could also crawl the contact info if you pull the other stuff or even tack it to the end of the crawl and stop on that.

• Members

This is all good constructive input. I agree the crawl is to fast..I thought it was acceptable (cause i wanted to get alot of bands names out there)...but I guess it backfired: noone here is saying YOU PLAYS LOTS OF SONGS BY VARIOUS ARTISTS!..instead.."The crawl is to fast fast!"..didnt see it coming...but thats why I asked for opinions...I cant see the forest for the trees,sometimes.
JW: Cheesy??? In what way? If its because the songs are old,ok I can see that. Maybe you play much more current stuff. But is that what you mean? Its hard to improve,if you're being specific.
and btw..thank you to everyone who took a look and posted. Ive seen alot of your stuff, and some is quite good.
GtrGeorge

• Members

This is all good constructive input. I agree the crawl is to fast..I thought it was acceptable (cause i wanted to get alot of bands names out there)...but I guess it backfired: noone here is saying YOU PLAYS LOTS OF SONGS BY VARIOUS ARTISTS!..instead.."The crawl is to fast fast!"..didnt see it coming...but thats why I asked for opinions...I cant see the forest for the trees,sometimes.
JW: Cheesy??? In what way? If its because the songs are old,ok I can see that. Maybe you play much more current stuff. But is that what you mean? Its hard to improve,if you're being specific.
and btw..thank you to everyone who took a look and posted. Ive seen alot of your stuff, and some is quite good.
GtrGeorge

• Members

Why not just slow down the crawl? It ends at about 30 seconds and then there no other text except to just put your band name up really big for the final minute or so of the clip. You could slow it down to half that speed and still have plenty of time left over to do other stuff.

My other criticism would be that while you run through 3 songs in 50 seconds, you then spend over a minute on the "Sweet Caroline" clip. It's not THAT strong a clip that it warrants half the video, IMO. Either add more songs or just get out of the whole thing at about 1:15. There's nothing really gained by that last minute of video. Well, actually, I'd probably use the last bit of SC rather than the first bit. After you ask them to "do better".

Which--this might be debatable---but I don't think I'd put that in a video clip. It's one thing to do it live to try and gin the crowd up (don't we all!), but watching it on a video might give some the impression of a band who is pleading? idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Why not just slow down the crawl? It ends at about 30 seconds and then there no other text except to just put your band name up really big for the final minute or so of the clip. You could slow it down to half that speed and still have plenty of time left over to do other stuff.

My other criticism would be that while you run through 3 songs in 50 seconds, you then spend over a minute on the "Sweet Caroline" clip. It's not THAT strong a clip that it warrants half the video, IMO. Either add more songs or just get out of the whole thing at about 1:15. There's nothing really gained by that last minute of video. Well, actually, I'd probably use the last bit of SC rather than the first bit. After you ask them to "do better".

Which--this might be debatable---but I don't think I'd put that in a video clip. It's one thing to do it live to try and gin the crowd up (don't we all!), but watching it on a video might give some the impression of a band who is pleading? idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
I'd take the audio (strip it from the vid) and EQ it. Then add a nice sounding IR reverb to regain the ambiance that it needs. It's very clear that you're in a tent, and there really isn't a great sounding ambiance there, but you can choose something that sounds great without bringing attention to the fact that you've added a room that wasn't there.
I know this is too late to help with the OP's footage, but on a side note: The Zoom Q2HD video recorder has that capability, as far as I can tell- to add ambience and effects after the fact, to a too-dry recorded sound. I have the Q3 and it has impressed my bandmates with it's ability to capture realistic, undistorted audio, but I'm ready to upgrade on account of that feature.

Not trying to sidetrack this into a "gadget" discussion so- as you were, gentlemen..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
I'd take the audio (strip it from the vid) and EQ it. Then add a nice sounding IR reverb to regain the ambiance that it needs. It's very clear that you're in a tent, and there really isn't a great sounding ambiance there, but you can choose something that sounds great without bringing attention to the fact that you've added a room that wasn't there.
I know this is too late to help with the OP's footage, but on a side note: The Zoom Q2HD video recorder has that capability, as far as I can tell- to add ambience and effects after the fact, to a too-dry recorded sound. I have the Q3 and it has impressed my bandmates with it's ability to capture realistic, undistorted audio, but I'm ready to upgrade on account of that feature.

Not trying to sidetrack this into a "gadget" discussion so- as you were, gentlemen..

Archived