"Just learn 'Barracuda.'"

FitchFY

• Members

I remember trying to play that as a kid with a bunch of other musically challenged kids that knew nothing yet about time or counting - so it was a confusing mess of

Do this ten times, then this twice, then this four times, then...

icon_lol.gif

Come to think of it this may be the most often butchered song ever and I respect anyone that actually pulls it off.

• Members

Played this song for years and years. It was a signature piece for my big hair 80s band. I don't recall ever counting through it. It was more of just a case of knowing it well enough (I had already heard the song for years before I ever attempted playing it) to just know how it goes.

Not sure how the drummers approached it. We played it with at least half a dozen different drummers. I don't recall it ever being that difficult for any of them or them ever complaining about the time signatures.

Great song though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Thy God View Post
icon_lol.gif

My band covered Barracuda for a Halloween set, and it was probably the second toughest song for us to get down (Surprisingly, the toughest was Don't Fear the Reaper...for similar reasons.)
You know when I read your post brought back memories, for the life of me getting the time right on Don't fear the reaper is sooo overlooked, such a simple song yet the tempo is so hard to get tempo just right

Barracuda: did it with a female singer once, a bear and as noted goofy timings and I can't imagine it's a fun key to sing in either. That was one of the hardest songs to get right, I think some RUSH tunes were easier, i.e., in the same band we did limelight.

Speaking of heart: Saw Black Crowes open up for them in I think 90' and they were great and very energetic show. Heart played for exactly 1.5 hours as headliner, no encore and she didn't move all night - two thumbs down for them live. Their drummer though guy has some excellent chops

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
Their drummer though guy has some excellent chops
He really does! As mentioned, I didn't grow up on those `80s tunes like many people here, so my knowledge of Heart is very sparse. The drummer has a great Bonham-esque groove and shuffle with plenty of ghost notes. They're next on my list of bands to further check out...

... especially after seeing the Kennedy Center Honors video of them performing "Stairway to Heaven" with Jason Bonham behind the kit!

• Members
The drummer has a great Bonham-esque groove and shuffle with plenty of ghost notes.
I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard Heart started life as a Zep tribute band. I can believe it, those chicks are awesome, and can certainly nail those Plant-esque high notes.

Hey, I was just Googling and found this... holy crap

Archived