Picture ideas?

Blackbird 13

• Members

So.. if you've followed my posts at all.. you've seen that I've been trying to upgrade some things. I redesigned our website, updated and reedited our video (using a lot of suggestions from here)... and am trying to step things up. The agents we worked with have taken notice.. but more than once I've heard something along the lines of "I like what you've got... but I really need you to add a nice promo pic".

That said, the next thing we need is a solid band picture (as opposed to the montage of live shots). I live with a professional photographer, who has her own equipment.. and she has some ideas for band photos.. but I'm coming up with blanks on what things to do.

She doesn't own a backdrop big enough for the four of us (her "people" shots are normally kids or couples)... but we live in an area where you'd think there would be a lot of places we could go.

I want to get three sets of shots.

1. One set of us in "dressier" clothes. We aren't a wedding band (at least not in the sense of tuxes and horns), and I'm not interested in wearing tuxes.. but button-up shirts, slacks or nice jeans, and ties would probably sell better to a corporate client than t-shirts and ratty jeans.

2. A set of shots with us dressed like we would for a nicer bar gig (which is how I want us to dress on the regular this year). The other vocalist and I both in jeans, a t-shirt, and an overshirt. The bassist with a button up shirt and fedora. The drummer in a nicer shirt and jeans.

3. Individual shots... wearing whatever folks feel they look their best in. I suppose these aren't NEEDED, but might come in helpful to photoshop and paste in logos and such.

I'll likely also do similar shots for 1 and 2 with us in an acoustic trio and duo configuration.

What ideas do you guys have for band photos? Not so much how to pose or anything... but where to go, and what other little details am I missing?

• Members

Shoot in front of a white or gray wall or sheet. Personally, I like that look because then there's nothing distracting in the photo but it also works best if you decide to photoshop in another background. You don't need a big area, it's best if you're standing pretty close together anyway. But anything cluttering the background can be photoshopped out as well. The photographer we usually use has a small space and spill over her backdrop, but it's easy to photoshop out the stuff on the edges. It's only really an issue when you're cutting really, really close around heads and bodies.

Photoshop is your friend. If the photographer isn't good with it, find someone who is. Even if you take 100 photos, you might have a tough time finding one where everybody looks their best. Seems there's always one PERFECT shot except that Billy Bob is looking at his shoes. Most of the shots I've used in the past few years have ended up having heads and bodies photoshopped in from other shots to end up with the final product. Last shoot we did, I forgot to bring my black jeans. So I just wore the blue jeans I had on. But they look black in the final shot.

• Members

Personally, I think you're probably a step ahead of most - simply because you've got a sense of what you want.

I also think you're on right track by working with a professional photographer. However, if you need a group shot taken in front of a backdrop - and your photographer doesn't have one large enough to handle it, you may need to rethink your choice of photographers. So many projects I've worked with have tried to save a few bucks by trying to have pictures taken by friends with a "nice camera" - and have never obtained the results we needed.

The issue of what pictures you need is a tough one. It really a question of how exactly you intend to use the pictures. The days of needing an 8 x 10 glossy for the "Now appearing ...." or "Coming soon..." signs are pretty much gone. To me, the primary driver for pro quality pictures today is the need for web site content - so I'd approach any photo shoot with a focus on that objective.

Personally, I'd be looking for two professionally composed "portrait shots" (one of your "dress" look ... and one of your "upscale casual" look) - taken in front of a backdrop (maybe incorporating an instrument or two as a prop to make it instantly clear to any viewer that it's a band picture).

I like backdrop shots simply because I can't recall ever having seen a posed group shot in front of any "natural" background (buildings, brick walls, train tracks, water, gardens, forests, etc.) that didn't look just like a bunch of folks standing in front of buildings, brick walls, train tracks, water, gardens, forests or whatever. In those group shots - I don't want anything competing with the band for the viewer's attention. Face it, we've ALL been in band pictures that could very easily have ended up here .

I'd also look for individual head shots of each band member - taken in front of a backdrop as well. Whoever is designing your website will thank you in the long run. They may or may not get used - but having additional content like this to pick and choose is sure a nice option to have in your pocket when you're trying to build a site! I'm also a firm believer that having a collection of individual head shots offers some flexibility - in the event you're hit with a line-up change after your "group shots" are taken. An inventory of individaul head shots and a little work in Photoshop - can go a long way in maximizing the useful life of your investment in band pictures!

In addition to the "portrait shots" - I want as many professional "live" shots as I can get - on a well lighted stage - actually performing. Shots taken from creative angles are a good thing. Group shots are wonderful but tough to get unless you're playing a stage/venue that is conducive to good angles for capturing the group. A collection of shots of individual band members or a couple of band members interacting will work as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

Even if you take 100 photos, you might have a tough time finding one where everybody looks their best. Seems there's always one PERFECT shot except that Billy Bob is looking at his shoes.

The easiest way to handle that issue is to put the camera on a tripod and take at least a half dozen shots. Ask for a different expression, but keep the same pose. Use layers in photoshop to select the best expressions. Try to use (or find) a diffused light source (NOT direct sunlight.)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
I've always liked the individual headshot and then combining them into a montage look. But maybe that's just me showing my age since it seemed to be a really popular feature of so many 80s album covers. icon_lol.gif

bompfr.jpg
I want more traditional shots, because I've specifically had agents complain about my current picture being a "montage" style shot.

It's also hard to show much personality in a shot like this. It would be better suited if we were all Abercrombie models.. but for us, we need the shot to show some personality and energy.. to give off a fun vibe.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Personally, I think you're probably a step ahead of most - simply because you've got a sense of what you want.

I also think you're on right track by working with a professional photographer. However, if you need a group shot taken in front of a backdrop - and your photographer doesn't have one large enough to handle it, you may need to rethink your choice of photographers. So many projects I've worked with have tried to save a few bucks by trying to have pictures taken by friends with a "nice camera" - and have never obtained the results we needed.
I've done this in the past, and haven't gotten the results I've wanted. My girlfriend is literally a professional photographer (photographing weddings, birthdays, school pictures, etc.), and she's very good at what she does, not only the actual photography, but Photoshop, Lightroom, and all these other programs that intimdate the hell out of me! It does suck that she doesn't own a large white backdrop. I do have access to one, but it would require an 80 mile drive when we're already on a bit of a time crunch for the day we've got planned for this.

The issue of what pictures you need is a tough one. It really a question of how exactly you intend to use the pictures. The days of needing an 8 x 10 glossy for the "Now appearing ...." or "Coming soon..." signs are pretty much gone. To me, the primary driver for pro quality pictures today is the need for web site content - so I'd approach any photo shoot with a focus on that objective.

Personally, I'd be looking for two professionally composed "portrait shots" (one of your "dress" look ... and one of your "upscale casual" look) - taken in front of a backdrop (maybe incorporating an instrument or two as a prop to make it instantly clear to any viewer that it's a band picture).

I agree with that. There are some shots I'd love to have specifically for the website, particularly for the top of the site. That said.. I still have agents that want the traditional "promo shot".. and I want to give them the shot they asked for, as creatively as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I like backdrop shots simply because I can't recall ever having seen a posed group shot in front of any "natural" background (buildings, brick walls, train tracks, water, gardens, forests, etc.) that didn't look just like a bunch of folks standing in front of buildings, brick walls, train tracks, water, gardens, forests or whatever. In those group shots - I don't want anything competing with the band for the viewer's attention. Face it, we've ALL been in band pictures that could very easily have ended up here .

I'd also look for individual head shots of each band member - taken in front of a backdrop as well. Whoever is designing your website will thank you in the long run. They may or may not get used - but having additional content like this to pick and choose is sure a nice option to have in your pocket when you're trying to build a site! I'm also a firm believer that having a collection of individual head shots offers some flexibility - in the event you're hit with a line-up change after your "group shots" are taken. An inventory of individaul head shots and a little work in Photoshop - can go a long way in maximizing the useful life of your investment in band pictures!

In addition to the "portrait shots" - I want as many professional "live" shots as I can get - on a well lighted stage - actually performing. Shots taken from creative angles are a good thing. Group shots are wonderful but tough to get unless you're playing a stage/venue that is conducive to good angles for capturing the group. A collection of shots of individual band members or a couple of band members interacting will work as well.
Good advice man.. definitely stuff worth considering, and worth trying to work on!

• Members
Yep. That's why we don't do it. Easier to look like you're having fun in a group photo.
A montage like that of our collection of "50 somethings" would definitely not serve our purposes well. Between the grey hair, the lack of hair, the uber-craggy faces, not to mention the effect that 50 years tends to have on chins ... we'd scare off more potential clients than we'd attract.

I'm a firm believer that each of us has what I refer to as an "optimal viewing distance". Mine is roughly 100 yards ... across a very dimly lit room! biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

A montage like that of our collection of "50 somethings" would definitely not serve our purposes well. Between the grey hair, the lack of hair, the uber-craggy faces, not to mention the effect that 50 years tends to have on chins ... we'd scare off more potential clients than we'd attract.

Again, that's why God invented Photoshop.. icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird 13 View Post
It does suck that she doesn't own a large white backdrop. I do have access to one, but it would require an 80 mile drive when we're already on a bit of a time crunch for the day we've got planned for this.
Jake has a 20' white backdrop that we used for a projection screen and drop curtain at Riot gigs. Give him a call, I'm sure you could make use of it if he's still got it. It's probably got one or two Jager stains on the edges but I'm pretty sure it'd be more workable than nothing at all. wink.gif

I agree with just getting pictures done in front of a white backdrop or anything that you can Photoshop out. It's easy to drop any background you want in there. Another option would be something like the Nuts in a Blender poster, where they all did individual shots and combined them into a group "action" photo.

The bar is set pretty goddamn low in this area so anything that looks remotely professional is most likely going to get you the gig you're aiming for.

Also, if you're ever looking to upgrade your PA, we're officially done running sound, so feel free to make an offer. wink.gif

• Members
Shoot in front of a white or gray wall or sheet. ... but it also works best if you decide to photoshop in another background.
This x100.

Or just as importantly, remove the background from the photo.

• Members

While Photoshop can do a lot, it can't do everything. And while I'm not sure where the line is drawn for overspending, two things you'll need are good equipment and good lighting. And you need a professional photographer for that. Pros know how to set up the lighting and use the gear.

The other thing you need that the photographer is probably NOT going to be able to provide is to know how to pose. Most professional photographers spend their time doing baby and wedding photos. They don't have a clue how to shoot a rock band. So spend the time looking at various band photos to get some ideas of how you want to dress and pose. Let the photographer tell you how to stand better so the lighting hits you correctly and such, but in my experience, letting the photographer run the session makes the band look too much like 'family portrait' too often.

• Members
The other thing you need that the photographer is probably NOT going to be able to provide is to know how to pose. Most professional photographers spend their time doing baby and wedding photos. They don't have a clue how to shoot a rock band. So spend the time looking at various band photos to get some ideas of how you want to dress and pose. Let the photographer tell you how to stand better so the lighting hits you correctly and such, but in my experience, letting the photographer run the session makes the band look too much like 'family portrait' too often.
This right here is where our problem lies. We really seem to just fizzle out on ALL creativity as soon as we're ready to start. It's HARD for us, for whatever reason, to be comfortable up there and really pose to look like we're a fun band. And it really sucks because we're the exact opposite on stage...no problem being energetic and fun.

Maybe we should all just get blitzed before we shoot icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post
This right here is where our problem lies. We really seem to just fizzle out on ALL creativity as soon as we're ready to start. It's HARD for us, for whatever reason, to be comfortable up there and really pose to look like we're a fun band. And it really sucks because we're the exact opposite on stage...no problem being energetic and fun.

Maybe we should all just get blitzed before we shoot icon_lol.gif
Not a bad idea, really. It IS hard to get up there and pose and pretend like you're having fun and looking natural and all that when your standing under bright lights in front of a photographer. I can't tell you how many times I've done an hour-long photo shoot only to have all the good shots come in the last 5 minutes when everybody finally loosens up.

Don't be afraid to be crazy and look silly. You're only going to choose one or two shots anyway. And it's digital photography so you're not really wasting any "film" by shooting a bunch of useless shots. Take some shots, ask the photographer to let you scan through the camera and see what's been done and see if you're on the right track. If you see something that's "kinda like THAT, only different", then you know you're getting close.

AND don't be too picky. I invariably leave every photoshoot I've ever done thinking every picture is horrible, that's there's nothing we can use and that we'll need to go in and reshoot the entire thing. But, of course, the pictures are fine. Just go in with a basic idea of what you want to get out of it, encourage everyone to have fun and go for it.

And a couple of shots of tequila might not hurt either....

• Members

Please don't get blitzed for the shoot. It will show in your eyes.

You don't have to reinvent the wheel. Spend some time and get some poses off the web that you like. Describe the tone / attitude to the photographer and write down a list of key words that will serves as cues for each shot. . . "smile", "grin", "silly", "badass", "deadpan", etc.

No one has responded to my suggestion about multiple shots using a tripod, but I promise you that even the less photogenic guys will give you one usable expression out of a dozen shots. Blend layers - five different shots for five guys, if you have to - and you're done.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues

View Post

No one has responded to my suggestion about multiple shots using a tripod, but I promise you that even the less photogenic guys will give you one usable expression out of a dozen shots. Blend layers - five different shots for five guys, if you have to - and you're done.

It's a good suggestion. Especially if you've established a pose you like. Take a dozen shots of the same pose and you can pick the best facial expressions from each and photoshop in what you like.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

You gotta hand it to the photographer for managing to get all 4 faces in a shadow, though.... facepalm.gif

Midday sun automatically creates those shadows.... for everyone and everything. You could use a huge reflector close up or some monster serious wattage fill lighting. . . . or eliminate the source of the problem.

Archived