Set List Placement Matters

jeff42

• Members

here ya go. my first topic on the new board. Just something cool that happened to us over the weekend...

For awhile now we have been playing a medley that consists of:

She's So Mean- Matchbox 20

We Are Young- Fun

Somebody I Used To Know- Gotye

It has been working so-so and we usually placed it either late in the 1st set (within the first hour of our show) or early in our 2nd set. Honestly it was on its way out because it never lit up the room. We figured that maybe we just didn't cover these songs well enough with just 3 people.

Last Friday we skipped it in the first set and pulled it out 1st thing in the 3rd set. The crowd went absolutely crazy for it. Surprised the hell out of us and reminded me of the fact that placement does count. 

• Members

Yes, it does. We always got a good reaction to You Oughta Know and Zombie towards the end of the 2nd set. We ended up needing to skip them for some reason (I think our other guitarist's amp was acting up), so we ended up playing it in the third set to an awesome reaction. It was a happy accident.

• Members

Set placement DOES matter, but also keep in mind that there are certain spots in the night where you could fart into the mic for 3 minutes and get a huge response.

Just make sure you're not confusing "people really like this song a lot more than I thought they did" for "people are really drunk and revved up at this point in the night and will cheer for anything."

Archived