Most common songs on the set list

tim_burnham

• Members

I just ran a report on my database at www.setlisthelper.com. Below are the most common songs that all the bands/performers are playing. Most of these songs are no surprise. However, there was one song that I never heard of called Glitter and Trauma by Biffy Clyro. Never heard that song but it is very good. The report seems accurate to me what do you think?

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Glitter and TRauma - Biffy Clyro
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffet
Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett
Moondance - Van Morrison
Hard To Handle - Black Crowes
You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
Vehicle - Ides of March
Honky Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
I wish - Stevie Wonder
Plush - Stone Temple Pilots
What I Got - Sublime
Let

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

Really? I haven't heard anybody do that tune in years and years and years! I'm real skeptical about how it could be on a list of the most common songs that all the bands/performers are playing.

somebody was yelling out CHICAGO a few gigs ago so we just threw it out there on a whim. Never done it before.... or since.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

Really? I haven't heard anybody do that tune in years and years and years! I'm real skeptical about how it could be on a list of the most common songs that all the bands/performers are playing.

I was doing 25 or 6 to 4 two years ago. Still do a couple of other Chicago tunes today. (Wish we were doing more BS&T.)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird 13 View Post
Either this is a fishy post, or the website the OP pulled this from is populated by $400 a night weekend warrior dad bands.

"Play That Funky Music" isn't on the list (over The Strokes?) and "Margaritaville" is on there twice.
it doesn't make any sense there either.

• Members

The only Elvis song is "Suspicious Minds"??

They're mixing apples and oranges. "Vehicle" and "25 or 6 to 4" are (or were) horn band staples, but without horns, it ain't happening.

This is also, dare I say, a "white" list. "Soul Man" and "Hard to Handle" are represented by white covers of the original hits.

I think lists are useful, but keep the genres separate.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Standard stuff for horn bands. I can see why its on the list. same with vehicle.

Its a generic setlist for a variety of kinds of rock bands.

• Members

that whole list would be my worst night out if I saw a band that played the OP's set list. Most of those songs are so beat that the horse is barely recognizable. Now, I admit, theres a few on there we still play, but fortunately not many.

I'm proud to say we dropped 8675309, jesse's girl, and SWA lately, dropping more soon. I mean sheesh.. most of the stuff on that list was played as classic rock 35 years ago. Now it's ancient rock. STP and Nirvana are now classic rock. Move on.

• Members

With Ostrich Hat:

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison (part of a medley with Every liittle thing/ Locked out of heaven)

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond (by request if the requester is hot)

Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith (part of it in a medley if we are playing to an older crowd- so very seldom do we pull this out)

Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffet (usually at the deck parties we play in the summer- it fits the mood)

You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC (Once in awhile at the end of the night if the crowd sings along)

Honky Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones (rarely)

What I Got - Sublime (part in a medley usually ever few gigs)

The Middle - Jimmy Eat World (rarely)

Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash (usually ever few gigs)

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd (only by request- again she must be hot.)

With There & Back Again we used to do:

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison (rarely)

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith (rarely)

Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffet (rarely)

Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett (rarely)

You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC

Honky Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones

What I Got - Sublime

American Girl - Tom Petty

Evenflow - Pearl Jam (rarely)

Soul Man - Blues Brothers

China grove - Doobie Brothers (rarely)

Suspicious Minds - Elvis

The Middle - Jimmy Eat World

Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kramerguy View Post
that whole list would be my worst night out if I saw a band that played the OP's set list. Most of those songs are so beat that the horse is barely recognizable. Now, I admit, theres a few on there we still play, but fortunately not many.

I'm proud to say we dropped 8675309, jesse's girl, and SWA lately, dropping more soon. I mean sheesh.. most of the stuff on that list was played as classic rock 35 years ago. Now it's ancient rock. STP and Nirvana are now classic rock. Move on.
Which would be possible if crowds would actually {censored}ing move on...but they don't, so STP and Nirvana still mostly function as turds in any rock party band's setlist.

Sausage fests love that grungey stuff, but the girls still love 867-5309/Jenny, Jessie's Girl, and Sweet Home Alabama...

I guess it all depends on who you want to make happy.

Here's a list from a recent show. A parade of (often beaten-to-death) classics that also still work really well with most crowds:
Set 1:
Beverly Hills - Weezer
Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5
Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer
Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds
Just Like Heaven - The Cure
Cars - Gary Numan
Hurts So Good - John Cougar (Mellencamp)
Hard To Handle - The Black Crowes
Twist And Shout - The Beatles
I'm A Believer - The Monkees
Just What I Needed - The Cars

Set 2:
Always Something There To Remind Me - Naked Eyes
Your Love - The Outfield
Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
What I Like About You - The Romantics
Jessie

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kramerguy View Post
that whole list would be my worst night out if I saw a band that played the OP's set list.
Not THIS topic again.... facepalm.gif

If somebody tells me their songlist is based upon what the audience wants to hear? I get that.
If they tell me it's based on songs they personally like to play and don't really care what the audience wants to hear? It may not be how I would do it, but I get it as well.

But creating a songlist of what you think the audience probably wants to hear based what YOU would like to hear if you went out to see a band? That's the biggest 'fail' I can think of. Unless you happen to be playing for a roomful of older musicians who are burned out from playing those songs for decades, your personal tastes probably aren't the least bit relevant to the equation.

Not to say you HAVE to play ANY of those songs. And if your intention is to get the same results but with different material and are doing that....then GREAT. But to the degree you're making songlist choices based on what YOU think are 'beat to death' songs? Few people in the audience are likely to have the same relationship to those songs as you do.

• Members

Kind of wish the OP had something more to add other than just a thinly disguised post about a website he runs.... just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I do know a local cover band that does this one but no way its a "common" tune.

Archived