IN CASE YOU DON'T NOTICE THE ANNOUNCEMENT AT THE TOP- News re: site performance!

BATCAT

• Moderators

So hopefully we'll be back to arguing about music stands and shorts in a few weeks...

idea.gif

Dear extremely patient people,

Before the end of January, Harmony Central will move its forums and content to a new platform. Frankly, we

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
I'm presuming the new platform isn't vBulletin?

I hope it's something very similar. As we all noticed with the last platform switch, people around this place don't like change much...
You presume correctly.

It'll be Lithium's. From what I've seen so far it doesn't look too different as far a functionality. No idea yet myself what the aesthetics will be though. I'm hoping for a lime green background with cyan blue text and tiny comic sans font.

• Members

I hope it's something very similar. As we all noticed with the last platform switch, people around this place don't like change much...
It seems we were both part of the same event - yet drew to very different conclusions. You appear to have concluded we are "change averse" ... while I see us having confirmed our affinity for {censored} that actually works.

Two way different things!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
It seems we were both part of the same event - yet drew to very different conclusions. You appear to have concluded we are "change averse" ... while I see us having confirmed our affinity for {censored} that actually works.

Two way different things!
The last forum they tried WORKED just fine. And while I agree it wasn't as easy to use as vBulletin, the truth is that a BIG part of everyone's discontent was simply that they were so used to using vBulletin for so many years.

Mark my words---I don't care HOW cool, simple or similar the new forum might be, the simple fact that it's different will result in MANY MANY complaints about how much it sucks.

• Moderators
The last forum they tried WORKED just fine. And while I agree it wasn't as easy to use as vBulletin, the truth is that a BIG part of everyone's discontent was simply that they were so used to using vBulletin for so many years.

Mark my words---I don't care HOW cool, simple or similar the new forum might be, the simple fact that it's different will result in MANY MANY complaints about how much it sucks.
While I do think a lot of people overreacted to the 2.0 forums, I don't think it was just resistance to change. The Jive forums were pretty much the opposite of "cool, simple, and similar to vBulletin". I mean the software wasn't actually even designed with something like HC's forums in mind but more customer support questions. I can't quite agree with "worked just fine", and I think the dislike the the Jive format was pretty justified.

From what I've seen of Lithium, it's not gonna be anything that drastic. I think as long as they don't do anything crazy with the aesthetics we just might make it though this ok.

That said you are right- no matter how good it is some people will find fault with it. redface.gif

• Moderators

While I do think a lot of people overreacted to the 2.0 forums, I don't think it was just resistance to change. The Jive forums were pretty much the opposite cool, simple, and similar to vBulletin. I mean the software wasn't actually even designed with something like HC's forums in mind but more customer support questions. I can't quite agree with "worked just fine", and I think the dislike the the Jive format was pretty justified.

From what I've seen of Lithium, it's not gonna be anything that drastic. I think as long as they don't do anything crazy with the aesthetics we just might make it though this ok.

That said you are right- no matter how good it is some people will find fault with it. redface.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Actionsquid

View Post

In terms of function or appearance? (or both)

Both. I don't know how much HC will be able to customize their version, but the layout stinks and it doesn't have many of the convenient features that vBulletin has. Lithium seems to be very intrusive as well, which is why I even remember the name. It left cookies on my browser and the logo was splattered all over the place.

• Members

It's pretty hard to get better than the vbulletin software for forums, IMO, but we'll see what they come up with.

• Members

"It left cookies on my browser"

Really? You're complaining about sites using cookies? facepalm.gif

How do you think your login session is stored with vBulletin?

How do you think just about every web application out there works?

• Moderators

Thinking this will be a good change is the triumph of hope over experience. facepalm.gif

Quote Originally Posted by AVisme View Post
Aww crap. facepalm.gif I've seen a Lithium board, and it sucks balls.
Yep.

The last forum they tried WORKED just fine..
And you are from which alternate reality? Fine is a little 10 character column down the middle of the page surrounded by giant ads on each side, taking 10 min to load a page? freak.gif

Although 10 min loads are looking good about now.... cry.gif

Terry D.

Archived