Timmy, you don't need a 30pc drum kit on stage...

undercool

• Members

The names of the guilty have been changed to protect the innocent.

Lets say that Timmy, your drummer in your good time party band, wants to bring every pc of drum kit he owns on stage at every gig. That kit includes a rack of 4 cowbells, 5 toms, rototoms or something like that, a bunch of other crap, electronics, and a hundred and thirty seven cymbals.

And lets say that the band is not a Rush tribute band. In fact, the band's biggest focus is being fun and relatable. Hell, lets just say that the band just wants to fit on a stage and not have 90% of it covered with drums.

Any advice for some guys who are failing at speaking effectively to "timmy" on not...well, not trying to convince everyone he has a huge...'drumkit' by bringing a huge drumkit?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by modulusman

View Post

One of the drummers I play with brings 11 cymbals to every gig.facepalm.gif

I have qualms with the facepalm.gif in this instance. Assuming the drummer does what he needs to do in terms of getting set up - and is ready to go at the appointed time - do I really give a {censored} about how many cymbals the drummer brings? In my mind this is the drummer's decision ... period (provided hes' hitting his target setup times).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by modulusman

View Post

One of the drummers I play with brings 11 cymbals to every gig.facepalm.gif

I have qualms with the facepalm.gif in this instance. Assuming the drummer does what he needs to do in terms of getting set up - and is ready to go at the appointed time - do I really give a {censored} about how many cymbals the drummer brings? In my mind this is the drummer's decision ... period (provided hes' hitting his target setup times).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by undercool

View Post

. Hell, lets just say that the band just wants to fit on a stage and not have 90% of it covered with drums.?

SpaceNorman, I think you missed this part. You're used to using lots of stuff, would you like having to minimize your rig because the drummer insisted on setting up a jungle gym? I hate cramped stages but they're out there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by undercool

View Post

. Hell, lets just say that the band just wants to fit on a stage and not have 90% of it covered with drums.?

SpaceNorman, I think you missed this part. You're used to using lots of stuff, would you like having to minimize your rig because the drummer insisted on setting up a jungle gym? I hate cramped stages but they're out there.

• Members

I've not posted here nor am I currently in a band. I am somewhat involved with drumming. A good percentage of the "moar" crop of drummers besides being self taught amateurs is not so much posing as it is, sigh ... __not fully accomplished__.

Variety of percussion is the key to their musicality. You've all experienced or are to some degree, (I include myself in both groups) these guys. Most of the time their excesses make for an acceptable rhythm section - competent musicians who know their zones and the appropriate musical behavior. The condition is not curable. It is largely creative talent and if the drummer is not willing to direct that into craftsmanship, you gotta get one who is. Maybe it's not that serious for you but IMO that's the heart of it.

• Members

I've not posted here nor am I currently in a band. I am somewhat involved with drumming. A good percentage of the "moar" crop of drummers besides being self taught amateurs is not so much posing as it is, sigh ... __not fully accomplished__.

Variety of percussion is the key to their musicality. You've all experienced or are to some degree, (I include myself in both groups) these guys. Most of the time their excesses make for an acceptable rhythm section - competent musicians who know their zones and the appropriate musical behavior. The condition is not curable. It is largely creative talent and if the drummer is not willing to direct that into craftsmanship, you gotta get one who is. Maybe it's not that serious for you but IMO that's the heart of it.

Archived