Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your help with.. well.. everything! (Video, EPK, Website, Booking, Setlist, more...)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your help with.. well.. everything! (Video, EPK, Website, Booking, Setlist, more...)

Our Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QvOfk5AAb-Q

Our Website - www.brokebysunday.com

Our EPK (Audio Demo Mixes are on here) - http://www.jasonswain.net/brokebysundaysite/epk.html

Our Songlist - http://www.jasonswain.net/brokebysun.../songlist.html

So.. here's what I'm asking you guys. What things do you see that I can do to improve the band, overall, as a business? What songs would you add? What songs would you never do? What would you change about the video, the website.. the EPK? Realize that I'm working on a budget, but I'd love to hear opinions on how to make things better!

I wanted to be as straightforward as possible, and you guys are kinda the experts on this stuff.. so help me make 2013 better than ever, gimmie whatcha got!

This is probably not what you're looking for, but I find dark grey text on a black background to be hard to read.
    --Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85Follow my new band, Dr. Bombay! We're going to be organasmic!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wesg
      View Post

This is probably not what you're looking for, but I find dark grey text on a black background to be hard to read.

Sure it is! Every little thing like that matters. Most of the site is in white text on a black background, not sure if that's what you were referring to, or if there was a part where I was an idiot and used dark grey.

Comment

Your website looks great- it really does. Fix the following and it'll look better. You also need to pick an alternate color and stick with it. Sometimes you use yellow, sometimes you use red, sometimes you use green. Pick one. The biggest thing that screams fix me is your use of "centered" text on everything. I'm not sure why people think its an accepted practice in design but it's not. If it were you'd see it it on Microsoft's website, every CD jacket, all the text in newspapers, etc.

Home Page- Get rid of the "center" justified and just align left on all your text. It'll look more professional.

Calendar / Songlist -- looks good

The Band- get rid of "centered" again. Make band members names bigger and lose the underline.

News- keep it the same as the rest of the site. You cant even read whats under your news feed. Dark grey on black?

Audio/Video- Lose the centered text

Photos- Get a gallery

Presskit- looks great but whats with this infatuation you have with centering everything???

Contact- Can you guess?
        Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Potts
          View Post

Your website looks great- it really does. Fix the following and it'll look better. You also need to pick an alternate color and stick with it. Sometimes you use yellow, sometimes you use red, sometimes you use green. Pick one. The biggest thing that screams fix me is your use of "centered" text on everything. I'm not sure why people think its an accepted practice in design but it's not. If it were you'd see it it on Microsoft's website, every CD jacket, all the text in newspapers, etc.

Home Page- Get rid of the "center" justified and just align left on all your text. It'll look more professional.

Calendar / Songlist -- looks good

The Band- get rid of "centered" again. Make band members names bigger and lose the underline.

News- keep it the same as the rest of the site. You cant even read whats under your news feed. Dark grey on black?

Audio/Video- Lose the centered text

Photos- Get a gallery

Presskit- looks great but whats with this infatuation you have with centering everything???

Contact- Can you guess?

Gotcha! The "news" feed is a Facebook plugin (by design, a subtle "Add us on Facebook" type thing)... and THAT would be the dark grey text from above. Will fix that for sure.

The different colors were to be eye-catching, and to keep things from blending together. Kind of like the shouting guy in the late night informercial... he may irritate you, but you'll remember the things he was shouting about that product.

I plan on adding a gallery.. but it will be after getting the new bassist on board, and after getting pictures with said new bassist. What's there now is pretty much a placeholder.

You really think justified left would make it look that much better? I've always been a fan of "centered" text... but I have gotten an earful from design-oriented people about it more than once. If I were to change it.. would you change the Press Kit page as well (given the way the links for the individual mixes are)?

Comment

So...youve heard to lose the centered text from design oriented people previously AND are hearing that AGAIN in this thread, and you went to the trouble to post a thread asking for help on your site...but you're not quite sold on changing that yet or not, because YOU'VE always been a fan of it?

Hmmm,...
            For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

KMart do you ever have anything nice to say instead of being a know it all?
              Just Darrell Web Site

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Potts
                View Post

KMart do you ever have anything nice to say instead of being a know it all?

Please explain what's specifically 'not nice' about my post.

Better yet, don't bother: I already know there isn't a single solitary item in it that's 'not nice'.

There also isn't a single solitary item that is specifically 'nice' either.

That's because the goal of my response wasn't to be 'nice' or 'not nice', but to perhaps help the OP see objectively what his post clearly showed he wasn't seeing (or possibly willing to see).

I missed the part where instead of actual valid advice, he wanted people to sprinkle pixie dust and happy thoughts on everything and tie it up with a pretty bow.

I'll look more carefully for that kind of direction from now on.
                For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

Nice job on the website! I see what POTTS is saying and has some good points. But, if you kept it the way it is, you're better off than a lot of websites.
                  Bill Lawrence custom Strat
                  Ibanez Artcore AS-73 (Member Ibanez Art Corps)
                  1991 Peavey Classic 50 2x12 Tweed
                  Boss TU-2 tuner
                  Original Cry Baby circa 1978
                  EHX LPB-1
                  Boss BD-2
                  Keeley DS-1
                  Boss CE-5
                  Dunlop Uni-Vibe w/expression pedal
                  Deluxe Memory Man
                  Talk Box (really old one, mid 70's)

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread! It reminded me that I need to work on our stuff, too!
                    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                    My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

I think you guys sound good, so to me, that's the most important thing. But, and I really believe this: You guys dress like a 300.00 a night bar band. You don't sound like one, but you look like one. Also, visually, there could be more happening. You guys are far from dead on stage, but just not really visually all that appealing in terms of movement on stage. Get some clothes that coordinate in some way that make you look like rock stars, work up some moves, and watch your income rise dramatically. IMO.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
                        View Post

Please explain what's specifically 'not nice' about my post.

Better yet, don't bother: I already know there isn't a single solitary item in it that's 'not nice'.

There also isn't a single solitary item that is specifically 'nice' either.

That's because the goal of my response wasn't to be 'nice' or 'not nice', but to perhaps help the OP see objectively what his post clearly showed he wasn't seeing (or possibly willing to see).

I missed the part where instead of actual valid advice, he wanted people to sprinkle pixie dust and happy thoughts on everything and tie it up with a pretty bow.

I'll look more carefully for that kind of direction from now on.

Ironically.. I think I missed that part as well. I already took a few of Potts' suggestions and the site looks better for it.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MartinC
                          View Post

I think you guys sound good, so to me, that's the most important thing. But, and I really believe this: You guys dress like a 300.00 a night bar band. You don't sound like one, but you look like one. Also, visually, there could be more happening. You guys are far from dead on stage, but just not really visually all that appealing in terms of movement on stage. Get some clothes that coordinate in some way that make you look like rock stars, work up some moves, and watch your income rise dramatically. IMO.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm most after. I know stage attire is one area where we're a bit lacking, and it's in the cards to fix. It's just difficult coordinating without appearing too "canned".

Comment

Blackbird- I haven't examined your whole site, but it's a great start. I'm slightly curious about part of the band members write-up: "gingers, infact, have souls"? ? Just a typo?

RE attire: IMO "cowboy" looks good on you! The hat contrasts nicely with the ''skull of death" on the tee, which adds a little "edge". Looks like y'all are ridin' hell-bent for leather, good luck! And I hope you consider adding a multi-instrumentalist of some sort somewhere down the road- just my personal preference.
                            Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Piano Whore
                              View Post

Blackbird- I haven't examined your whole site, but it's a great start. I'm slightly curious about part of the band members write-up: "gingers, infact, have souls"? ? Just a typo?

RE attire: IMO "cowboy" looks good on you! The hat contrasts nicely with the ''skull of death" on the tee, which adds a little "edge". Looks like y'all are ridin' hell-bent for leather, good luck! And I hope you consider adding a multi-instrumentalist of some sort somewhere down the road- just my personal preference.

The first part is a South Park reference and Internet Meme. Matt routinely jokes around about being "ginger" (dude's got fire red hair and is pasty white), and I'm figuring that more people than not will get the reference.

I like the cowboy hat look on me... mostly because it covers up my budding bald spot and forehead (at 29?!).

I would also love to add a keyboard player, or a jack of all trades guy.. but it's not in the cards for now.. the budget won't allow it!

Comment

Working...
                              X