Fun - Some Nights

vort

• Members

Our first gig playing Some Nights.  Went over pretty well, the crowd created a circle basically trapping our singer.  :manvery-happy: The link is from a video a fan posted on our Facebook page.  I know there was a discussion on this song awhile back, but this shows it can go over well with a younger crowd.

I can't figure out how to embed it, but the link is below.

http://www.facebook.com/v/10100450671108512

• Members

Was just listening to this song today and thinking it might medley up well with some of the 80s rockers we do. We do a medley with parts of JuKe Box Hero, I Love Rock n Roll and Pour Some Sugar On Me, and I was thinking we could squeeze some of this in there.

I couldn't open your link from my phone for whatever reason, but I'm anxious to check it out!

• Members

When you get to watch the video, towards the end of the song instead of doing more of the talking stuff that Fun does in the recording, we decided to sing the chorus of S&G's Cecelia. It fits well in between the background "whoas" in the song.

• Members

Every time that song comes on the radio, which is pretty much every 30 minutes, everyone just groans.  It's a GREAT song, but has been so overplayed in this market that people are generally sick of hearing it.

I'm actually glad for that, as they were in danger of overplaying "we are young" when this one hit, and it effectively stopped that song from being criminally overplayed.  We do 'we are young' and the crowds go nuts.  The best feeling in the world for me was where one night we ended our 2nd set with it, I went out on the deck to smoke, and there's a bunch of girls out there singing "ToNIIIiiii-iiiittteee... We are Younnnnnnngggg"

Win!

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Was just listening to this song today and thinking it might medley up well with some of the 80s rockers we do. We do a medley with parts of JuKe Box Hero, I Love Rock n Roll and Pour Some Sugar On Me, and I was thinking we could squeeze some of this in there.

I couldn't open your link from my phone for whatever reason, but I'm anxious to check it out!

How well does that work - mixing the old with the new? We seem to have an entirely different set of people on the dance floor depending on what era the music is from. The newer the music, the less the older crowd is into it. And vice-versa.

• Members

It works pretty well for us to mix old with new, but our sets are designed to be as "all ages" as possible. The old songs are all ones that young people know and throwing a new song into a medley of older stuff is sometimes a way to keep the older people on the floor for it. It's all song-dependent though, of course.

• Members

We have been trying that same approach with mixing old/newer songs.  It's audience dependant, but when we have a mixed crowd, it's enough to keep all ages out on the floor. 

The funny thing is for the non-20 crowd is that alot of the mom's know the newer songs and will dance to them just as hard.  They must be picking them up from driving the kids around.

Archived