Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gotta do it my way....or no way at allllllll....

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by roamingbard13
      View Post

What are the most "value-added" things we can do? Adding subs? Lights? A banner? OR -- do we raise our asking price and hire out sound and lights?

1.) Get a banner: People need to know the name of your band so they can follow you. Go to www.eSigns.com and drop $50-100 on their big vinyl banners! I used one for years and they're great.

2.) Get some semblance of lights: You don't NEED a light guy (sure it helps), but even a few well placed cans and LED side fills will separate you from the chump bands in the area. Just don't leave them set on "seizure" all night.

3.) Have a quality PA: Sure, having subs is nice, but those seeing you need it... well, I challenge you with my $600-800 guarantee 4 piece bar hard rock band that booked any venue any time we wanted. Without subs. Well-tuned gear, well-tuned PA. It worked very well. But yes, having subs DOES fill your sound nicer.

SIDE NOTE: As you up your PA, you up your own sound requirements. Once your drummer has to start micing up all his drums at each gig to still be heard, you'll see your cost/profit ration start to dip. Watch this cost/profit ratio like a hawk and know what YOUR GOAL is for the band, not what Harmony-Central forums tells you.

4.) Have everyone lose 10 pounds: Okay, sort of a joke, as I haven't watched your videos, but it's a rule of thumb, especially in rock music. Want a succesful 90s-today rock cover band? Look and be the part. Which means being in shape. And preferably not "keg" as that shape.

5.) Make a fan base of hot girls: Bars appreciate it, guys buy more drinks when hot girls are there, etc. If you're in a bar band, the best thing you can do is focus your attention (friendly, not banging) (well, bang if you can) on the girls so they keep coming back. The guys will then stay.
      Music, music, I hear music
      Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
        View Post

Thanks for putting up the vids. I think you guys sound best with the girl in the band.

I wholeheartedly disagree. She's noticeably weaker than the dude in the red shirt. She can probably impress people who think that throaty=good, but to anyone who knows what a singer is supposed to sound like, she sounds like any other chick singing karaoke with lousy pitch and too much vibrato.

The dude OTOH, while not an amazing powerhouse of a singer, has good pitch, confidence, and a pleasant voice.

Also, the audio on those videos is atrocious. Don't use them for promo purposes. I'm listening on $400 headphones and literally can't understand anything I'm listening to. I had to hunt for a spot where I could even make out the vocals. I know you had some issues, and that's fine, but get that corrected ASAP. This isn't making your band look good.

-Dan.
        Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
          View Post

But ask that guy to lose the headband. Nothing says "bar" more that a headband. Or is it just me?

No it's not just you. It looks like the bottom of a t-shirt

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by IsildursBane
            View Post

I wholeheartedly disagree. She's noticeably weaker than the dude in the red shirt. She can probably impress people who think that throaty=good, but to anyone who knows what a singer is supposed to sound like, she sounds like any other chick singing karaoke with lousy pitch and too much vibrato.

The dude OTOH, while not an amazing powerhouse of a singer, has good pitch, confidence, and a pleasant voice.

Also, the audio on those videos is atrocious. Don't use them for promo purposes. I'm listening on $400 headphones and literally can't understand anything I'm listening to. I had to hunt for a spot where I could even make out the vocals. I know you had some issues, and that's fine, but get that corrected ASAP. This isn't making your band look good.

-Dan.

Interesting ,, I felt the guy in the red shirt had some pitch issues and the voice seemed a tad dull like he was singing mostly out his mouth and not from his diaphram. She just seemed like the needed more experience but had more timbre and sang from the diaphram and had more potential to put passion in her vocals.
            "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

• Nominate for one of the most thought out posts in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY
              View Post

1.) Get a banner: People need to know the name of your band so they can follow you. Go to www.eSigns.com and drop $50-100 on their big vinyl banners! I used one for years and they're great.

2.) Get some semblance of lights: You don't NEED a light guy (sure it helps), but even a few well placed cans and LED side fills will separate you from the chump bands in the area. Just don't leave them set on "seizure" all night.

3.) Have a quality PA: Sure, having subs is nice, but those seeing you need it... well, I challenge you with my $600-800 guarantee 4 piece bar hard rock band that booked any venue any time we wanted. Without subs. Well-tuned gear, well-tuned PA. It worked very well. But yes, having subs DOES fill your sound nicer.

SIDE NOTE: As you up your PA, you up your own sound requirements. Once your drummer has to start micing up all his drums at each gig to still be heard, you'll see your cost/profit ration start to dip. Watch this cost/profit ratio like a hawk and know what YOUR GOAL is for the band, not what Harmony-Central forums tells you.

4.) Have everyone lose 10 pounds: Okay, sort of a joke, as I haven't watched your videos, but it's a rule of thumb, especially in rock music. Want a succesful 90s-today rock cover band? Look and be the part. Which means being in shape. And preferably not "keg" as that shape.

5.) Make a fan base of hot girls: Bars appreciate it, guys buy more drinks when hot girls are there, etc. If you're in a bar band, the best thing you can do is focus your attention (friendly, not banging) (well, bang if you can) on the girls so they keep coming back. The guys will then stay.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Potts
                View Post

Nominate for one of the most thought out posts in this thread!

Agreed!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                  View Post

Interesting ,, I felt the guy in the red shirt had some pitch issues and the voice seemed a tad dull like he was singing mostly out his mouth and not from his diaphram. She just seemed like the needed more experience but had more timbre and sang from the diaphram and had more potential to put passion in her vocals.

She's not singing from her diaphragm. She's singing like someone trying to sound like they're singing from their diaphragm w/o actually doing it properly.

IMO, that sounds worse than just not trying to fake it.

-Dan.
                  Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by IsildursBane
                    View Post

She's not singing from her diaphragm.

Do women even use those things anymore?
                    The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
                    www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                    Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
                    Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

• I knew a girl who sang using her diaphragm once. Strangest damn thing you ever saw....

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                        View Post

I knew a girl who sang using her diaphragm once. Strangest damn thing you ever saw....

was it this girl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDSJsxi_LOY
                        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                        www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                        -For Sale:
                        -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                        -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                        - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                        - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                        - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Potts
                          View Post

Nominate for one of the most thought out posts in this thread!

Ha! Well, thanks, but this is just off the top of my head answering the dude's question. Whoever got into arguments about harmonies and how to best power a PA was way, way, way, way answering their own questions.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY
                            View Post

Ha! Well, thanks, but this is just off the top of my head answering the dude's question. Whoever got into arguments about harmonies and how to best power a PA was way, way, way, way answering their own questions.

Welcome to Harmony Central.

Comment

• Subs

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by jimiv
                                View Post

Welcome to Harmony Central.

6,000+ posts later and I STILL have hope for people. Sad, ain't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X