Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thanks for all of the feedback!



    The most recent of these videos is about 5 months old. Our gigs have been steady since then and I feel like we have been making strides every time we play together. A couple of things I'd like address and may be helpful for further discussion and feedback...



    1. I'm not the lead singer -- I am the other guitar player. I have my own issues for sure, though! I will share the comments that you have all made with our singer. I can't remember, but I suspect we may have begun playing Valerie without him being set in order to try to keep the music moving. Either way, I think the comments there are spot on and it is something to look at.



    2. Our initial bass player quit right before we started gigging. Our current player learned our entire setlist (literally from soup to nuts) in about a week. While he is extremely proficient, he is a convert from the blues and ska original scene in our area and this is his first cover band. It doesn't shock me that the lines he plays are not exactly as the recordings, and I'm not sure that the average person in the audiecne would know/care.



    3. The venue the first two video were taken in is extremely small...capacity is probably around 60 people, and that's very uncomfortable. We do not mic anything there because there is not space, and it is the one room that we carry a very minimalist PA to because there is literally no room for anything more. Typically, we have everything mic'd into Yamaha Club 15 inch mains. Not perfect, but it's what we could afford when we started.





    Believe it or not, I think adding subs could help us anyways -- it's a lot easier to feel the groove when you can feel the music.



    I think that continued practice, working on showmanship, and working on music choices will add to our performances. But I don't think we are so far off from being a proficient band to "keep it to the woodshed". (and clearly the places that are rebooking us don't think so either...)

    Comment


    • Thanks for all of the feedback!



      The most recent of these videos is about 5 months old. Our gigs have been steady since then and I feel like we have been making strides every time we play together. A couple of things I'd like address and may be helpful for further discussion and feedback...



      1. I'm not the lead singer -- I am the other guitar player. I have my own issues for sure, though! I will share the comments that you have all made with our singer. I can't remember, but I suspect we may have begun playing Valerie without him being set in order to try to keep the music moving. Either way, I think the comments there are spot on and it is something to look at.



      2. Our initial bass player quit right before we started gigging. Our current player learned our entire setlist (literally from soup to nuts) in about a week. While he is extremely proficient, he is a convert from the blues and ska original scene in our area and this is his first cover band. It doesn't shock me that the lines he plays are not exactly as the recordings, and I'm not sure that the average person in the audiecne would know/care.



      3. The venue the first two video were taken in is extremely small...capacity is probably around 60 people, and that's very uncomfortable. We do not mic anything there because there is not space, and it is the one room that we carry a very minimalist PA to because there is literally no room for anything more. Typically, we have everything mic'd into Yamaha Club 15 inch mains. Not perfect, but it's what we could afford when we started.





      Believe it or not, I think adding subs could help us anyways -- it's a lot easier to feel the groove when you can feel the music.



      I think that continued practice, working on showmanship, and working on music choices will add to our performances. But I don't think we are so far off from being a proficient band to "keep it to the woodshed". (and clearly the places that are rebooking us don't think so either...)

      Comment


      • Wow, what a thread!



        Yes, all the lights, PA and attention to detail isn't going to matter if the band isn't good. Harmonies? Depends on the song/material of course. For Metallica-type stuff, they aren't really necessary. For Amy Winehouse-type stuff, they can be the difference between sounding pro and sound amateur.



        Subs? A must for a band playing the type of material you're playing. You can't engage the crowd on rock or dance stuff unless they can feel it a bit. And the fact the videos were recorded with a cheap camcorder shouldn't really matter. We record our shows all the time with a cheapy recorder and the kick and bass come through just fine.



        The girl sounds pretty good, and makes your band look better as well. But you have to remember that when you're on stage, you're on stage. The whole fiddling-around-while-she-was-singing thing was not just distracting, but a great example of really poor showmanship. If you think people are only going to be watching her and not that guy because she's the one singing and he's not part of the song, you're wrong. In fact, they might end up watching him more.



        Good luck and that's great you're taking your band seriously enough to even ask about this stuff. And all those 'little things' are things that will help your band improve its value whether you're playing $200 or $2000 gigs.
        ______________

        Comment


        • Wow, what a thread!



          Yes, all the lights, PA and attention to detail isn't going to matter if the band isn't good. Harmonies? Depends on the song/material of course. For Metallica-type stuff, they aren't really necessary. For Amy Winehouse-type stuff, they can be the difference between sounding pro and sound amateur.



          Subs? A must for a band playing the type of material you're playing. You can't engage the crowd on rock or dance stuff unless they can feel it a bit. And the fact the videos were recorded with a cheap camcorder shouldn't really matter. We record our shows all the time with a cheapy recorder and the kick and bass come through just fine.



          The girl sounds pretty good, and makes your band look better as well. But you have to remember that when you're on stage, you're on stage. The whole fiddling-around-while-she-was-singing thing was not just distracting, but a great example of really poor showmanship. If you think people are only going to be watching her and not that guy because she's the one singing and he's not part of the song, you're wrong. In fact, they might end up watching him more.



          Good luck and that's great you're taking your band seriously enough to even ask about this stuff. And all those 'little things' are things that will help your band improve its value whether you're playing $200 or $2000 gigs.
          ______________

          Comment


          • BTW... I totally agree that a balanced PA is essential, and the 15" and horn on a stick ain't balanced for a rock/dance band. And that "subs" is the solution. I just crack up when I see it tossed around as some sort of panacea for a bar band. Believe it or not, there are some AWESOME bands in my town that play little bars without subs. And they sound great and the dancers love them.



            But as an order of concern, subs seemed to be a little back in the order of that list. Sure, get some "subs". But it takes a lot more than "subs" to rile a crowd up.



            And BTW, you guys sound like you are on your way. But ask that guy to lose the headband. Nothing says "bar" more that a headband. Or is it just me?
            __________
            Ain't no sacrilege to call Elvis king
            Dad is great and all but he never could sing -
            Jesus

            Comment


            • BTW... I totally agree that a balanced PA is essential, and the 15" and horn on a stick ain't balanced for a rock/dance band. And that "subs" is the solution. I just crack up when I see it tossed around as some sort of panacea for a bar band. Believe it or not, there are some AWESOME bands in my town that play little bars without subs. And they sound great and the dancers love them.



              But as an order of concern, subs seemed to be a little back in the order of that list. Sure, get some "subs". But it takes a lot more than "subs" to rile a crowd up.



              And BTW, you guys sound like you are on your way. But ask that guy to lose the headband. Nothing says "bar" more that a headband. Or is it just me?
              __________
              Ain't no sacrilege to call Elvis king
              Dad is great and all but he never could sing -
              Jesus

              Comment








              • Quote Originally Posted by Mutha Goose
                View Post

                If you're asking $500 at one club, but $1000 at the other.... you ain't gonna get anywhere close to that $1000 even if you deserve it at that club.




                I disagree with this somewhat...because it depends on exactly what you're providing at said club, how long you're playing for, etc.



                Example 1: A 3 hr gig where we bring absolutely minimalist backline, even down to a paired down 2 piece drum kit (no toms). No lights. No PA. 3x40 min sets with 2 half hour breaks. Meals included...and nice meals...better than bar food. Very restauranty but extremely fun crowds. 1/2 hr setup and 20 minute teardown. Only gig where we don't even use a soundman. $550.



                Example 2: Club across town about 1 hr away, 4 hr gig, DJ between sets, lights, subs and whole PA, etc. $1200.



                So it depends what you're providing. Now if the clubs are right next to each other and you're providing the same service/equipment/etc.......well then yeah.



                EDIT: P.S. While I think adding a quality PA (with subs) was absolutely the best equipment investment we've made to date...we PACK the dance floor at Example 1 club and we're playing thru 15" JBL PRX mains (no subs). Hence them offerring us $1200 for NYE for the same show...although it was short notice so we had to turn it down...which was a bummer. Won't make $1200 any easier than that.
                Christian

                SpaceCat
                www.spacecatband.com

                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix







                Originally Posted by wheresgrant3


                Our singer is basically butchering the Grade A material into deli meat, but don't fear... the crowd is there for big sandwiches.

                Comment








                • Quote Originally Posted by Mutha Goose
                  View Post

                  If you're asking $500 at one club, but $1000 at the other.... you ain't gonna get anywhere close to that $1000 even if you deserve it at that club.




                  I disagree with this somewhat...because it depends on exactly what you're providing at said club, how long you're playing for, etc.



                  Example 1: A 3 hr gig where we bring absolutely minimalist backline, even down to a paired down 2 piece drum kit (no toms). No lights. No PA. 3x40 min sets with 2 half hour breaks. Meals included...and nice meals...better than bar food. Very restauranty but extremely fun crowds. 1/2 hr setup and 20 minute teardown. Only gig where we don't even use a soundman. $550.



                  Example 2: Club across town about 1 hr away, 4 hr gig, DJ between sets, lights, subs and whole PA, etc. $1200.



                  So it depends what you're providing. Now if the clubs are right next to each other and you're providing the same service/equipment/etc.......well then yeah.



                  EDIT: P.S. While I think adding a quality PA (with subs) was absolutely the best equipment investment we've made to date...we PACK the dance floor at Example 1 club and we're playing thru 15" JBL PRX mains (no subs). Hence them offerring us $1200 for NYE for the same show...although it was short notice so we had to turn it down...which was a bummer. Won't make $1200 any easier than that.
                  Christian

                  SpaceCat
                  www.spacecatband.com

                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix







                  Originally Posted by wheresgrant3


                  Our singer is basically butchering the Grade A material into deli meat, but don't fear... the crowd is there for big sandwiches.

                  Comment








                  • Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                    View Post

                    BTW... I totally agree that a balanced PA is essential, and the 15" and horn on a stick ain't balanced for a rock/dance band. And that "subs" is the solution. I just crack up when I see it tossed around as some sort of panacea for a bar band. Believe it or not, there are some AWESOME bands in my town that play little bars without subs. And they sound great and the dancers love them.



                    But as an order of concern, subs seemed to be a little back in the order of that list. Sure, get some "subs". But it takes a lot more than "subs" to rile a crowd up.




                    I'm sure there are some bands that pack dance floors in some venues with no subs. Some bands can do that with no bass guitar as well. Subs aren't a panacea for anything, but they are pretty much essential in this day and age. Just because some bands are good enough to be great in almost any configuration, I don't think that means that most bands just starting out should be ignoring the basics.



                    You need the right gear for the job. And while it's very true that there's much more involved in packing a dance floor or sounding great than just adding subs, a proper PA will help make all that other work that much easier.








                    And BTW, you guys sound like you are on your way. But ask that guy to lose the headband. Nothing says "bar" more that a headband. Or is it just me?



                    I was thinking it was so passe that maybe it was back-in-style again and I just hadn't noticed yet....
                    ______________

                    Comment








                    • Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                      View Post

                      BTW... I totally agree that a balanced PA is essential, and the 15" and horn on a stick ain't balanced for a rock/dance band. And that "subs" is the solution. I just crack up when I see it tossed around as some sort of panacea for a bar band. Believe it or not, there are some AWESOME bands in my town that play little bars without subs. And they sound great and the dancers love them.



                      But as an order of concern, subs seemed to be a little back in the order of that list. Sure, get some "subs". But it takes a lot more than "subs" to rile a crowd up.




                      I'm sure there are some bands that pack dance floors in some venues with no subs. Some bands can do that with no bass guitar as well. Subs aren't a panacea for anything, but they are pretty much essential in this day and age. Just because some bands are good enough to be great in almost any configuration, I don't think that means that most bands just starting out should be ignoring the basics.



                      You need the right gear for the job. And while it's very true that there's much more involved in packing a dance floor or sounding great than just adding subs, a proper PA will help make all that other work that much easier.








                      And BTW, you guys sound like you are on your way. But ask that guy to lose the headband. Nothing says "bar" more that a headband. Or is it just me?



                      I was thinking it was so passe that maybe it was back-in-style again and I just hadn't noticed yet....
                      ______________

                      Comment


                      • __________
                        Ain't no sacrilege to call Elvis king
                        Dad is great and all but he never could sing -
                        Jesus

                        Comment


                        • __________
                          Ain't no sacrilege to call Elvis king
                          Dad is great and all but he never could sing -
                          Jesus

                          Comment


                          • ______________

                            Comment


                            • ______________

                              Comment


                              • Ralph Macchio could totally kick Mike Reno's ass.
                                __________
                                Ain't no sacrilege to call Elvis king
                                Dad is great and all but he never could sing -
                                Jesus

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X