Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Potts
    View Post

That sure is a "dick" statement. Does he have to be a vocalist to know the value of harmonies?

No he doesn't but as usual his advise isn't relevant to anything except what his band does. A rock band without subs will sound lame. BTW you might be able to hear the kick a little bit but do to this thing called Physics you will loose the low end because the speaker is not be reinforced by being near the floor.

Comment

View Post

Did someone say they couldn't here the kick? LOL..it's a ****************ty little camcorder video.

With that being said- you have the opportunity to have a nice little band there. I'd hang out in the woodshed for awhile though and nail the living **************** out of these tunes until you can do them in your sleep. And anyone that says gear before talent is simply full of ****************. I heard some harmonies in there that sound encouraging- work the **************** out of those and you'll be a better band for it.

Watch...listen to the groove of the songs you're doing and do right by the original song. Im not saying note for note **************** but just listen and see the difference. Listen to the harmonies at about 45 seconds- not the sour ones at 20 seconds (lol). This tune is three chords. Other than the cool guitar riff its the vocals that make this tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed49S2nyBD0

Speaking of Zac Brown he will be playing where I live next month. John Mayer lives near here and is doing a benefit for some firefighters Zac Brown and Clay Cook will be playing with him. http://www.musicvilla.com/john-mayer...creek-benefit/

Comment

View Post

Did someone say they couldn't here the kick? LOL..it's a ****************ty little camcorder video.

With that being said- you have the opportunity to have a nice little band there. I'd hang out in the woodshed for awhile though and nail the living **************** out of these tunes until you can do them in your sleep. And anyone that says gear before talent is simply full of ****************. I heard some harmonies in there that sound encouraging- work the **************** out of those and you'll be a better band for it.

Watch...listen to the groove of the songs you're doing and do right by the original song. Im not saying note for note **************** but just listen and see the difference. Listen to the harmonies at about 45 seconds- not the sour ones at 20 seconds (lol). This tune is three chords. Other than the cool guitar riff its the vocals that make this tune.

Speaking of Zac Brown he will be playing where I live next month. John Mayer lives near here and is doing a benefit for some firefighters Zac Brown and Clay Cook will be playing with him. http://www.musicvilla.com/john-mayer...creek-benefit/

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by modulusman
          View Post

Speaking of Zac Brown he will be playing where I live next month. John Mayer lives near here and is doing a benefit for some firefighters Zac Brown and Clay Cook will be playing with him.

I'm actually taking the trip from Buffalo to Detroit to see them on NYE. The location is weird to me for such a big night but...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by modulusman
            View Post

Speaking of Zac Brown he will be playing where I live next month. John Mayer lives near here and is doing a benefit for some firefighters Zac Brown and Clay Cook will be playing with him.

I'm actually taking the trip from Buffalo to Detroit to see them on NYE. The location is weird to me for such a big night but...

Comment

View Post

Yeah Zac Brown is the real deal. My band has been playing "Chicken Fried" since it first came out. Always gets a good crowd response.

Comment

View Post

Yeah Zac Brown is the real deal. My band has been playing "Chicken Fried" since it first came out. Always gets a good crowd response.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
                  View Post

I found you (I assume it's you in the blue) REALLY distracting in the one video. Tuning, changing strings, making a sandwich, or whatever it was you were doing. You looked bored and fiddly.

My thoughts exactly. Subs won't fix this.

It comes down to basic showmanship. Looking cool, supporting the spotlighted singer/musician at the time. Not distracting from the show, but being a part of it and adding to it. To be able to picture what the stage looks like, what you look like, how you're effecting the presentation. It's called "footlight sense".

Most times just thinking about it will get you there. Subs won't fix this.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
                    View Post

I found you (I assume it's you in the blue) REALLY distracting in the one video. Tuning, changing strings, making a sandwich, or whatever it was you were doing. You looked bored and fiddly.

My thoughts exactly. Subs won't fix this.

It comes down to basic showmanship. Looking cool, supporting the spotlighted singer/musician at the time. Not distracting from the show, but being a part of it and adding to it. To be able to picture what the stage looks like, what you look like, how you're effecting the presentation. It's called "footlight sense".

Most times just thinking about it will get you there. Subs won't fix this.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by roamingbard13
                      View Post

Thanks for all the advice -- the winter is time to think about this here. We play in a touristy area and the bars have a much higher budget for entertainment in the summer.

Couple of videos for those who are interested -- we are working a female vocalist in to the mix. She plays almost a full set of songs with us now. These are both in our smallest venue -- but we are their #1 band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJNgSmyYEtI

****************ty promo vid -- we are working on a better one. I asked for something much different than this, but we had technical issues with our board feed which caused some tension, and the videographer was working for free because they owed our drummer a favor. We'll pay for it next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhZpD1vcTU8

And our first full-length show together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N28fBEbYykw

My thoughts on the videos:

1st video: The female vocalist is pretty good, but I agree with other people that say the guy that is usually upfront in the middle in blue should settle down. He is fidgeting around as if the band was still setting up. That's something to do on your breaks or before the show, not during. Not only is it distracting, it comes off as disrespectful to her.

2nd video: Yeah, better sound is needed for the promo. It sounds way too loud in there with the audience nearly drowning out the band. The band needs to be the focus and part of doing that would be to get isolated tracks of the songs you are playing (as best as you can manage).

3rd video: You've come a long way, baby! I was actually turned off by the performances in this one. I'm glad you mentioned it as the first show. Sorry if I sound harsh. My band isn't always the best when we play live either, but the other videos seem more engaging to me. I did find it amusing to see the bass player looking over the singer's shoulder to see what chords he was playing on "Chicken Fried" haha!
                      (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by roamingbard13
                        View Post

Thanks for all the advice -- the winter is time to think about this here. We play in a touristy area and the bars have a much higher budget for entertainment in the summer.

Couple of videos for those who are interested -- we are working a female vocalist in to the mix. She plays almost a full set of songs with us now. These are both in our smallest venue -- but we are their #1 band.

****************ty promo vid -- we are working on a better one. I asked for something much different than this, but we had technical issues with our board feed which caused some tension, and the videographer was working for free because they owed our drummer a favor. We'll pay for it next time.

And our first full-length show together:

My thoughts on the videos:

1st video: The female vocalist is pretty good, but I agree with other people that say the guy that is usually upfront in the middle in blue should settle down. He is fidgeting around as if the band was still setting up. That's something to do on your breaks or before the show, not during. Not only is it distracting, it comes off as disrespectful to her.

2nd video: Yeah, better sound is needed for the promo. It sounds way too loud in there with the audience nearly drowning out the band. The band needs to be the focus and part of doing that would be to get isolated tracks of the songs you are playing (as best as you can manage).

3rd video: You've come a long way, baby! I was actually turned off by the performances in this one. I'm glad you mentioned it as the first show. Sorry if I sound harsh. My band isn't always the best when we play live either, but the other videos seem more engaging to me. I did find it amusing to see the bass player looking over the singer's shoulder to see what chords he was playing on "Chicken Fried" haha!
                        (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mutha Goose
                          View Post

Timkeys: I can't speak for all club scenes, but I know there are many clubs in the northeast (from Maine to Maryland, out to Buffalo; I have spent MANY years playing in this area) that are large enough and that do pay very good money.

To the OP: I provide lighting and sound in my area.

A few of my clients hire me to get their feet into some of the larger clubs, especially for lighting. Often they raise their price to the club above what I charge them. This is easily justified as clubs tend to make more money when the entertainment has a proper light show (band, DJ, other...). The impact of a properly designed light show can be amazing! That said, lighting can quickly get to be very expensive and unwieldy if you want to make a decent impact. Avoid a few random fixtures running on sound-detection. It looks cheesy and DJ. There is nothing entertaining about this. You would be better off either going all out or very basic; not in between. I'm beginning to see more and more bands with their own light shows, but most just higher out for larger gigs.

However having enough PA for the gig is assumed. If you do not have a good system (and the know-how to use it) all bets are off. You will only sound as big as your system. If you want to be perceived as being bigger than life (which a show should be) you have to sound bigger than life. A kick sounds cool. A kick through a good sub properly used can be huge. You don't get lost in a tune played through a transistor radio the same way you can with a good system. If you're playing rock, this is a must. This is what drives the club.

However, all of the equipment in the world won't do **************** if you can't back it up. Good equipment will make a good band HUGE and POWERFUL! ... the best equipment will only make a mediocre or **************** band louder and brighter.

In the end, you have to sell beer. This is all a bar band is... alcohol drink salesmen; as far as the bar owner/manager is concerned. Do you consistently fill a room? Are your fans big drinkers? All of the above will help. If you're a good band, you can get the fans who will buy drinks. If you're driving that music loud and clean, your fans will have more fun and want to dance. This sells drinks! Add a light show and it becomes an event. This keeps people there longer, drives more dancing, and builds larger crowds... all results in more drinks sold...

So, if you're selling more drinks than the other bands, if you're selling enough drinks, you deserve a higher price. If you're not, you don't. For my band, when we raise our fee at a particular club, that club owner/manager knows we are a worth-while investment and we get what we are asking for. But we don't look to raise our fee unless we know we are earning it. For clubs somewhat close to each other, we try to keep our fees very close. Club owners talk to each other. If you're asking $500 at one club, but $1000 at the other.... you ain't gonna get anywhere close to that $1000 even if you deserve it at that club.

Nice post.

Comment

View Post

Timkeys: I can't speak for all club scenes, but I know there are many clubs in the northeast (from Maine to Maryland, out to Buffalo; I have spent MANY years playing in this area) that are large enough and that do pay very good money.

To the OP: I provide lighting and sound in my area.

A few of my clients hire me to get their feet into some of the larger clubs, especially for lighting. Often they raise their price to the club above what I charge them. This is easily justified as clubs tend to make more money when the entertainment has a proper light show (band, DJ, other...). The impact of a properly designed light show can be amazing! That said, lighting can quickly get to be very expensive and unwieldy if you want to make a decent impact. Avoid a few random fixtures running on sound-detection. It looks cheesy and DJ. There is nothing entertaining about this. You would be better off either going all out or very basic; not in between. I'm beginning to see more and more bands with their own light shows, but most just higher out for larger gigs.

However having enough PA for the gig is assumed. If you do not have a good system (and the know-how to use it) all bets are off. You will only sound as big as your system. If you want to be perceived as being bigger than life (which a show should be) you have to sound bigger than life. A kick sounds cool. A kick through a good sub properly used can be huge. You don't get lost in a tune played through a transistor radio the same way you can with a good system. If you're playing rock, this is a must. This is what drives the club.

However, all of the equipment in the world won't do **************** if you can't back it up. Good equipment will make a good band HUGE and POWERFUL! ... the best equipment will only make a mediocre or **************** band louder and brighter.

In the end, you have to sell beer. This is all a bar band is... alcohol drink salesmen; as far as the bar owner/manager is concerned. Do you consistently fill a room? Are your fans big drinkers? All of the above will help. If you're a good band, you can get the fans who will buy drinks. If you're driving that music loud and clean, your fans will have more fun and want to dance. This sells drinks! Add a light show and it becomes an event. This keeps people there longer, drives more dancing, and builds larger crowds... all results in more drinks sold...

So, if you're selling more drinks than the other bands, if you're selling enough drinks, you deserve a higher price. If you're not, you don't. For my band, when we raise our fee at a particular club, that club owner/manager knows we are a worth-while investment and we get what we are asking for. But we don't look to raise our fee unless we know we are earning it. For clubs somewhat close to each other, we try to keep our fees very close. Club owners talk to each other. If you're asking $500 at one club, but $1000 at the other.... you ain't gonna get anywhere close to that $1000 even if you deserve it at that club.

Nice post.

Comment

View Post

If you're asking $500 at one club, but $1000 at the other.... you ain't gonna get anywhere close to that $1000 even if you deserve it at that club.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                              My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

View Post

If you're asking $500 at one club, but $1000 at the other.... you ain't gonna get anywhere close to that $1000 even if you deserve it at that club.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                                My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

Working...
                                X