Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
    View Post

Thanks for putting up the vids. I think you guys sound best with the girl in the band. The harmony is better and makes a much better impression on me. I think your best bet is to place your effort on getting the music tighter and get the vocals and harmony tight. Things seem just a touch choppy. At this point practice is going to pay bigger dividends than subs or lights. I would not expect more gear being the thing that gives you the next leg up. Becomming a better band is really where the focus should be. Thats not to say you should not get some more gear, but its not going to be a magic bullet that turns out to being key to getting where you want to be.

I agree, except I couldn't hear the kick at all, even though I have a decent sub on my computer.
    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
    www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
    -For Sale:
    -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
    -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
    - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
    - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
    - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

View Post

Thanks for putting up the vids. I think you guys sound best with the girl in the band. The harmony is better and makes a much better impression on me. I think your best bet is to place your effort on getting the music tighter and get the vocals and harmony tight. Things seem just a touch choppy. At this point practice is going to pay bigger dividends than subs or lights. I would not expect more gear being the thing that gives you the next leg up. Becomming a better band is really where the focus should be. Thats not to say you should not get some more gear, but its not going to be a magic bullet that turns out to being key to getting where you want to be.

I agree, except I couldn't hear the kick at all, even though I have a decent sub on my computer.
      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
      -For Sale:
      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
        View Post

The promo video looks pretty good. I found you (I assume it's you in the blue) REALLY distracting in the one video. Tuning, changing strings, making a sandwich, or whatever it was you were doing. You looked bored and fiddly. Even if you don't play in a song, you have to find something to do...

The girl did a pretty good job.

I thought they sounded better w/o her. I agree with you about whoever was messing with his tuning and his pedals for nearly a whole song.
        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
        -For Sale:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
          View Post

The promo video looks pretty good. I found you (I assume it's you in the blue) REALLY distracting in the one video. Tuning, changing strings, making a sandwich, or whatever it was you were doing. You looked bored and fiddly. Even if you don't play in a song, you have to find something to do...

The girl did a pretty good job.

I thought they sounded better w/o her. I agree with you about whoever was messing with his tuning and his pedals for nearly a whole song.
          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
          -For Sale:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
            View Post

It prolly has more to do with the recording than the actual sound in the bar.
            "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
              View Post

"you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

View Post

maybe but hard to say.
                tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                -For Sale:

Comment

View Post

maybe but hard to say.
                  tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                  -For Sale:

Comment

View Post

It looked to me like they were using Yamaha speakers on poles and no subs. So you are not going to hear or feel the kick unless you are standing right in front of it. You keep harping about harmonies but I noticed in that video you sent me you didn't even have a mic. Is it because you can't sing or the rest of the band is afraid you will say something stupid.

Comment

View Post

It looked to me like they were using Yamaha speakers on poles and no subs. So you are not going to hear or feel the kick unless you are standing right in front of it. You keep harping about harmonies but I noticed in that video you sent me you didn't even have a mic. Is it because you can't sing or the rest of the band is afraid you will say something stupid.

Comment

Did someone say they couldn't here the kick? LOL..it's a ****************ty little camcorder video.

With that being said- you have the opportunity to have a nice little band there. I'd hang out in the woodshed for awhile though and nail the living **************** out of these tunes until you can do them in your sleep. And anyone that says gear before talent is simply full of ****************. I heard some harmonies in there that sound encouraging- work the **************** out of those and you'll be a better band for it.

Watch...listen to the groove of the songs you're doing and do right by the original song. Im not saying note for note **************** but just listen and see the difference. Listen to the harmonies at about 45 seconds- not the sour ones at 20 seconds (lol). This tune is three chords. Other than the cool guitar riff its the vocals that make this tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed49S2nyBD0

Comment

Did someone say they couldn't here the kick? LOL..it's a ****************ty little camcorder video.

With that being said- you have the opportunity to have a nice little band there. I'd hang out in the woodshed for awhile though and nail the living **************** out of these tunes until you can do them in your sleep. And anyone that says gear before talent is simply full of ****************. I heard some harmonies in there that sound encouraging- work the **************** out of those and you'll be a better band for it.

Watch...listen to the groove of the songs you're doing and do right by the original song. Im not saying note for note **************** but just listen and see the difference. Listen to the harmonies at about 45 seconds- not the sour ones at 20 seconds (lol). This tune is three chords. Other than the cool guitar riff its the vocals that make this tune.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by modulusman
                            View Post

You keep harping about harmonies but I noticed in that video you sent me you didn't even have a mic. Is it because you can't sing or the rest of the band is afraid you will say something stupid.

That sure is a "dick" statement. Does he have to be a vocalist to know the value of harmonies?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by modulusman
                              View Post

You keep harping about harmonies but I noticed in that video you sent me you didn't even have a mic. Is it because you can't sing or the rest of the band is afraid you will say something stupid.

That sure is a "dick" statement. Does he have to be a vocalist to know the value of harmonies?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Potts
                                View Post

No he doesn't but as usual his advise isn't relevant to anything except what his band does. A rock band without subs will sound lame. BTW you might be able to hear the kick a little bit but do to this thing called Physics you will loose the low end because the speaker is not be reinforced by being near the floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X