Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
    View Post

true in many cases, but much of the listed genre had little for extravagant harmonies. But proper singing for the genre is definitely up there.

My wife got two CD's from a band that played at our church a few months ago. The first was terrible and the second was really great.

The guys are absolutely pro on both disks and the lead singer is incredible. The only real difference between the two CD's is that the first one had absolutely NO backing vocals. Every single song was a good band backing up a solo singer. It was boring. The second had them all over the place and it was like a different - and much better - band. Heck, even the old Elvis stuff had those guys throwing in those corny two or three part backing lyrics. It just adds interest.

You aren't going to use it much on songs like Born to be Wild, but there is plenty of opportunity to do it. And it is amazing what it does for crowd response. I've witnessed it first hand. Your band goes up a few notches in everybody's heads so that even Born to be Wild, with no backing vocals, seems to sound better.
    "If there is anything that links the human to the divine, it is the courage to stand by a principle when everybody else rejects it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
      View Post

true in many cases, but much of the listed genre had little for extravagant harmonies. But proper singing for the genre is definitely up there.

My wife got two CD's from a band that played at our church a few months ago. The first was terrible and the second was really great.

The guys are absolutely pro on both disks and the lead singer is incredible. The only real difference between the two CD's is that the first one had absolutely NO backing vocals. Every single song was a good band backing up a solo singer. It was boring. The second had them all over the place and it was like a different - and much better - band. Heck, even the old Elvis stuff had those guys throwing in those corny two or three part backing lyrics. It just adds interest.

You aren't going to use it much on songs like Born to be Wild, but there is plenty of opportunity to do it. And it is amazing what it does for crowd response. I've witnessed it first hand. Your band goes up a few notches in everybody's heads so that even Born to be Wild, with no backing vocals, seems to sound better.
      "If there is anything that links the human to the divine, it is the courage to stand by a principle when everybody else rejects it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Nothing against subs but...

Let's say I was working behind the counter of a cool guitar shop. I young player comes in and says, "I'd like to look at delay pedals." Sure. Then I grab a couple and start with a EH Memory Man. The young player plugs in and... he can't play in tune, the distortion from the amp is mismanaged by the player. His tone is whack because of zero right hand technique... and he says, "Hmmmm, let me try the Boss, I think that's the one that Jack White uses." The same god awful sound comes out of the amp. There is no discernible difference between pedals in this scenario. The young guitarist smiles and says, "Ahhhh, that's the sound. Yeah, that cool White Stripes thing. Which one do you like better for my sound?"

Ummmm. Guitar lessons? For your sound?

BTW, I'm not suggesting the OP is like this kid. His band showed a lot of promise. But, subs? Fine, get subs. Yes, it's all important. The thing is, it so easy to get distracted from what matters. Delay pedals and subs and LED lighting. They're all great. All good stuff.

Comment

• Nothing against subs but...

Let's say I was working behind the counter of a cool guitar shop. I young player comes in and says, "I'd like to look at delay pedals." Sure. Then I grab a couple and start with a EH Memory Man. The young player plugs in and... he can't play in tune, the distortion from the amp is mismanaged by the player. His tone is whack because of zero right hand technique... and he says, "Hmmmm, let me try the Boss, I think that's the one that Jack White uses." The same god awful sound comes out of the amp. There is no discernible difference between pedals in this scenario. The young guitarist smiles and says, "Ahhhh, that's the sound. Yeah, that cool White Stripes thing. Which one do you like better for my sound?"

BTW, I'm not suggesting the OP is like this kid. His band showed a lot of promise. But, subs? Fine, get subs. Yes, it's all important. The thing is, it so easy to get distracted from what matters. Delay pedals and subs and LED lighting. They're all great. All good stuff.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy
            View Post

As a three-piece with a non-harmony singing drummer (he does a bit of minimal backing lines but not really 'harmony'), I knew it was important for us to have a bass player that could easily sing harmony. Otherwise, the alternative was for me to use a vocal harmonizer. Going without vocal harmonies for four hours with only my lead vocal? Um, no thanks. Even *I* wouldn't want to hear that all night!

A relative of one of my cousins has a band. He is the leader, but he is the lead guitarist off to the side. He does sing a majority of the songs, but his nephew is in the middle, singing and playing rhythm. Why not just go three-piece? Because the drummer doesn't sing at all and the bassist only sings lead on a couple of tunes (zero harmony). He needs the nephew to sing harmony when he is singing lead (and does likewise for the nephew on his songs).

If I absolutely could not find any bass players that could sing harmony, it would force our band to add a fourth member just for those harmony vocals. Whether they played great guitar or keys or anything would be irrelevant. It's just something I *have* to have in a band and from the reaction of audiences I have played for, they feel the same way.
            (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy
              View Post

As a three-piece with a non-harmony singing drummer (he does a bit of minimal backing lines but not really 'harmony'), I knew it was important for us to have a bass player that could easily sing harmony. Otherwise, the alternative was for me to use a vocal harmonizer. Going without vocal harmonies for four hours with only my lead vocal? Um, no thanks. Even *I* wouldn't want to hear that all night!

A relative of one of my cousins has a band. He is the leader, but he is the lead guitarist off to the side. He does sing a majority of the songs, but his nephew is in the middle, singing and playing rhythm. Why not just go three-piece? Because the drummer doesn't sing at all and the bassist only sings lead on a couple of tunes (zero harmony). He needs the nephew to sing harmony when he is singing lead (and does likewise for the nephew on his songs).

If I absolutely could not find any bass players that could sing harmony, it would force our band to add a fourth member just for those harmony vocals. Whether they played great guitar or keys or anything would be irrelevant. It's just something I *have* to have in a band and from the reaction of audiences I have played for, they feel the same way.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                View Post

Nothing against subs but...

Obviously, the band SOUND (collective parts played together by the individuals, not the sound of the PA) is paramount. You have to have something good to put out there to begin with, something worth selling. If you can't sing in tune or have super-cheap equipment, adding subs is not going to make you sound like rock stars. I think we all get that. But if your band is halfway-decent, getting asked to play at the same places again, etc., yes, subs will help. LED lights will help. Nothing will help a band that sucks other than practice or getting the right members together that can actually sing and play in tune and in time together.

Comment

View Post

Nothing against subs but...

Obviously, the band SOUND (collective parts played together by the individuals, not the sound of the PA) is paramount. You have to have something good to put out there to begin with, something worth selling. If you can't sing in tune or have super-cheap equipment, adding subs is not going to make you sound like rock stars. I think we all get that. But if your band is halfway-decent, getting asked to play at the same places again, etc., yes, subs will help. LED lights will help. Nothing will help a band that sucks other than practice or getting the right members together that can actually sing and play in tune and in time together.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string
                    View Post

Of course! And after watching the OP's video I feel he's jumping the gun by getting "subs". He showed the videos for a reason. I'm glad he did. The lack of lower octave from the PA was far less of an issue than the unpolished stage presence. Plain and simple. Subs won't fix that. So apparently I am not stating the obvious. And I really think it needs to be said. They have some work to do before attracting bigger fish, gig-wise. Looking at the audience and sharing a good time with them is far more powerful than a banner. Wowing them with some tight harmony actually has a bigger impact that chase lighting.

I'm not just playing hard to get along with. I think by concerning themselves with this other stuff before the essentials are fully in place is a mistake that won't help them even in the short run. OK... I'll stop.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string
                      View Post

Of course! And after watching the OP's video I feel he's jumping the gun by getting "subs". He showed the videos for a reason. I'm glad he did. The lack of lower octave from the PA was far less of an issue than the unpolished stage presence. Plain and simple. Subs won't fix that. So apparently I am not stating the obvious. And I really think it needs to be said. They have some work to do before attracting bigger fish, gig-wise. Looking at the audience and sharing a good time with them is far more powerful than a banner. Wowing them with some tight harmony actually has a bigger impact that chase lighting.

I'm not just playing hard to get along with. I think by concerning themselves with this other stuff before the essentials are fully in place is a mistake that won't help them even in the short run. OK... I'll stop.

Comment

View Post

How is buying a subs a distraction from being able to practice? Subs take some money/little time. Practice takes little money/lots of time. How does one preclude or distract from the other?

Any band that could use both should be able to do both if they have the necessary resources. No distraction at all, really.
                        https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
                        http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

View Post

How is buying a subs a distraction from being able to practice? Subs take some money/little time. Practice takes little money/lots of time. How does one preclude or distract from the other?

Any band that could use both should be able to do both if they have the necessary resources. No distraction at all, really.

Comment

• I have to say that I'm with Lee Knight on this one completely!

Comment

• I have to say that I'm with Lee Knight on this one completely!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Potts
                                View Post

I have to say that I'm with Lee Knight on this one completely!

So how good does a band have to be before they are good enough to be allowed to buy subs? How do we determine this?
                                _________________________________________________
                                band websites:
                                http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
                                https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start

Comment

Working...
                                X