Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman
    View Post

I can understand the argument about subs being "overkill" in small rooms (i.e., we can get by without 'em). I can understand debating whether the improvement in sound is worth the cost to purchase them and the effort to deploy them. However, trying to argue that subs don't bring benefit to the typical bar band's sound seems pretty osterrich-like to me.

My arguments have focused on your first two points. Your third point is really just a variation on the second, and I addressed it in the post you quoted. I never claimed that subs have no benefit to a band running everything through a PA.

Done . . . .

Comment

• Awesome thread!

Comment

• Awesome thread!

Comment

• Love the subs.

Makes for a fuller sound, no matter what size the room

My mixer does have a main volume, it doesn't have to be nutted. Better to have more than I need, than having less than I want.

PA Unity15's over LS800p's. YX15's, YX12's IPR power, RM32AI

LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

Comment

• Love the subs.

Makes for a fuller sound, no matter what size the room

My mixer does have a main volume, it doesn't have to be nutted. Better to have more than I need, than having less than I want.

PA Unity15's over LS800p's. YX15's, YX12's IPR power, RM32AI

LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

Comment

• Q: What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

A: Subs

Comment

• Q: What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                  View Post

Q: What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Glad we got that straight!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                    View Post

Q: What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Glad we got that straight!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
                      View Post

Talking level?! Please. Are you really too young to remember when kick ass bands used PAs for vocals only? A lot of them still do.

I do. And most of their kick drums sounded like Ringo's on the early Beatles albums. i.e. virtually non-existant. It doesn't take much in the way of bass guitar volume to drown out an un-mic'd kick. Even at the most low-level gigs I've played the kick drum ALWAYS got mic'd, even if nothing else but vocals went through the PA. And once you're putting the kick through, it's gonna sound better through a PA with speakers best designed to handle those ~80-120 hz frequencies that the kick drum lives at.
                      RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues
                        View Post

Talking level?! Please. Are you really too young to remember when kick ass bands used PAs for vocals only? A lot of them still do.

I do. And most of their kick drums sounded like Ringo's on the early Beatles albums. i.e. virtually non-existant. It doesn't take much in the way of bass guitar volume to drown out an un-mic'd kick. Even at the most low-level gigs I've played the kick drum ALWAYS got mic'd, even if nothing else but vocals went through the PA. And once you're putting the kick through, it's gonna sound better through a PA with speakers best designed to handle those ~80-120 hz frequencies that the kick drum lives at.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                          View Post

its all of it.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                            View Post

its all of it.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                              View Post

the best way to increase the value of a band is by really working on multiple part harmony vocals. It will do more for the bottom line than any gear purchase.

Nailed it.

It was an issue with the first country band I joined in Seattle about a decade ago. Then, when I put together a "modern pop" band with two of my daughters the background vocals were our most important asset. Playing with an all amateur band in our very first gig at Big Daddy's in Woodinville (I was the only member that had ever gigged before with the exception of one of the girls doing a couple of gigs as a backup singer), the leader of another band gave me a business card and said they would love to be our opening act at any future gigs.

And I've carried it forward to my band in the Louisville area that I joined a few months ago. And not only does the band sound MUCH better than they did, they are having a lot more fun.

But here is why so few bands bother to do it right: It's really, REALLY hard to do it well. It takes a lot of work and "fun jam practices" are not how you do it. But it's all about managing expectations.

If an existing band spent not one dime for additional equipment but worked HARD to get the background vocals down, they would be shocked at the crowd reaction. Frankly, there are not really very many vocally good bands out there. Peopl really enjoy "skilled" musicianship. And that doesn't mean "good guitar solos". Those are a dime a dozon.
                              Newmanism:
                              First, a person says something. Then, another person restates what they purportedly said so as to make it seem as if their view is as offensive, hostile, or absurd.
                              https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...terson/550859/

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS
                                View Post

the best way to increase the value of a band is by really working on multiple part harmony vocals. It will do more for the bottom line than any gear purchase.

Nailed it.

It was an issue with the first country band I joined in Seattle about a decade ago. Then, when I put together a "modern pop" band with two of my daughters the background vocals were our most important asset. Playing with an all amateur band in our very first gig at Big Daddy's in Woodinville (I was the only member that had ever gigged before with the exception of one of the girls doing a couple of gigs as a backup singer), the leader of another band gave me a business card and said they would love to be our opening act at any future gigs.

And I've carried it forward to my band in the Louisville area that I joined a few months ago. And not only does the band sound MUCH better than they did, they are having a lot more fun.

But here is why so few bands bother to do it right: It's really, REALLY hard to do it well. It takes a lot of work and "fun jam practices" are not how you do it. But it's all about managing expectations.

If an existing band spent not one dime for additional equipment but worked HARD to get the background vocals down, they would be shocked at the crowd reaction. Frankly, there are not really very many vocally good bands out there. Peopl really enjoy "skilled" musicianship. And that doesn't mean "good guitar solos". Those are a dime a dozon.
                                Newmanism:
                                First, a person says something. Then, another person restates what they purportedly said so as to make it seem as if their view is as offensive, hostile, or absurd.
                                https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...terson/550859/

Comment

Working...
                                X