Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

The band I play with has come a long way in the 2 years since we started. We were all rookies, and in the last 12 months have played in 7 new venues and have been offered rebooks in all of them.

I think we are at a turning point -- from a music and crowd standpoint, we think we are ready to increase our asking rate. However, I feel like we also probably need to invest in our band set-up at this point.

What are the most "value-added" things we can do? Adding subs? Lights? A banner? OR -- do we raise our asking price and hire out sound and lights?

Say we had $1000 start with -- what should we do first? (I know it's chicken feed for most of y'all, but I work two other jobs and my wife is in grad school, our lead singer is a student, our drummer is a parent of 2...you get the picture). We'll likely be able to add this kind of money every 6 months or so.

Subs are a must IMO. Lights are also a good idea
    Proud Member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

Proud Member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jw10
        View Post

depends on what they play.
        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
        www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
        -For Sale:
        -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
        -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
        - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
        - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
        - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jw10
          View Post

depends on what they play.
          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
          -For Sale:
          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD

Comment

^ Mostly 90s and 00s Rock with some modern pop covers. Subs are probably definitely needed...is it okay to start with 1?

Comment

^ Mostly 90s and 00s Rock with some modern pop covers. Subs are probably definitely needed...is it okay to start with 1?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by roamingbard13
                View Post

The band I play with has come a long way in the 2 years since we started. We were all rookies, and in the last 12 months have played in 7 new venues and have been offered rebooks in all of them.

I think we are at a turning point -- from a music and crowd standpoint, we think we are ready to increase our asking rate. However, I feel like we also probably need to invest in our band set-up at this point.

What are the most "value-added" things we can do? Adding subs? Lights? A banner? OR -- do we raise our asking price and hire out sound and lights?

Say we had $1000 start with -- what should we do first? (I know it's chicken feed for most of y'all, but I work two other jobs and my wife is in grad school, our lead singer is a student, our drummer is a parent of 2...you get the picture). We'll likely be able to add this kind of money every 6 months or so.

What kind of music, what types of events and venues, what do you currently have for equipment, how much do you get for gigs and how much are you hoping to raise it?
                tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                -For Sale:

Comment

View Post

What kind of music, what types of events and venues, what do you currently have for equipment, how much do you get for gigs and how much are you hoping to raise it?
                  tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                  -For Sale:

Comment

the best way to increase the value of a band is by really working on multiple part harmony vocals. It will do more for the bottom line than any gear purchase.
                    "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

the best way to increase the value of a band is by really working on multiple part harmony vocals. It will do more for the bottom line than any gear purchase.
                      "you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

I would go slowly with gear...its more to move,buy,repair,store replace etc same goes for lights.

first work on the things that matter more..and have fewer costs involved Learn those requests, get that mailing list going, get a banner, but pay no more than 200 for it, get biz cards, be nice to the people

sounds like you are already doing just fine.

GtrGeorge video of my band at reverbernation.com/HolidayRoad

Comment

I would go slowly with gear...its more to move,buy,repair,store replace etc same goes for lights.

first work on the things that matter more..and have fewer costs involved Learn those requests, get that mailing list going, get a banner, but pay no more than 200 for it, get biz cards, be nice to the people

sounds like you are already doing just fine.

GtrGeorge video of my band at reverbernation.com/HolidayRoad

Comment

View Post

yes, definitely subs. And don't cheap out on the kick mic.
                            tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                            -For Sale:

Comment

View Post

yes, definitely subs. And don't cheap out on the kick mic.
                              tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                              -For Sale:

Comment

Working...
                              X