Ch-ch-ch-Changes!

Vito Corleone

• Members

Feeling a bit melancholy today as tomorrow will likely be our last performance with one of our lead singers, Amy.  Her leaving the band wasn't a big surprise as it became clear when she took on a new job last summer that the demands of all her activities on her time were a struggle and that something would have to give.   A couple of weeks ago she called me and let me know that if next summer was going to be anywhere near as busy as the last, that she wouldn't be able to continue.  And that while she could probably do one or two gigs a month, she didn't want to try and limit the band to that.

So being that we're coming into a period where we have no gigs on the books for a few weeks, this is the best time to make the change.  We're all sad to see her go because, in addition to being a strong vocalist, she had become our liaison with brides for the wedding gigs and taken over most of the frontperson duties on stage.   She won't be easy to replace.

The good news is we've already had some good responses from our Craigslist ad look for replacements.  A few young (20-something) girls currently singing in bar bands who want to move out of the bar scene are anxious to audition.  So I don't think we'll any problems finding another good singer--it will just be a matter of making sure it's a good fit personality-wise.

Change is good and while I'm sad to see Amy go, I'm excited about the prospects of where having a new member will take us.

Onward and upward, as I always say!

• Members

No doubt you'll find a suitable replacement as to vocals, but you're right - the bigger issue is chemistry. Remind me - was Amy the first of your 2 female leads, or the second? Is the other female lead still there? If so, then chemistry between the two of them will be even more critical. Good luck!

• Members

gjb3 wrote:

No doubt you'll find a suitable replacement as to vocals, but you're right - the bigger issue is chemistry. Remind me - was Amy the first of your 2 female leads, or the second? Is the other female lead still there? If so, then chemistry between the two of them will be even more critical. Good luck!

Amy was the 2nd vocalist.   Tiffany is still with us and isn't going anywhere.   Tiff and Amy had great chemistry and yes, that will be hard to match.   Both are egoless and hard workers.  (Tiff's suggestion was that we put "must be able to lift and carry 75lbs while wearing high heels" in the ad...)   After basic vocal abilities, the #1 question will be "what does Tiff think of her?"  They'll have to be roomies on the overnight gigs and all that other fun girlee stuff.

No doubt things will be different, but change can be a good thing.  And I always go into these things with an open mind.   Keep expectations low and optimism high.   We're prepared for the possibility that we may go through a few girls before we settle on the right one, or that maybe we never do and that position becomes more of a hired-gun spot.   Amy has also kept open the possibility of her staying with the band on a part-time basis if we find someone else also interested in a part-time thing.   Ideally I'd like to find somebody who just fills the spot, gells with the band and we move forward.  But it will be what it will be.

Archived