It Will Take Some Getting Used To.....

SpaceNorman

• Members

So the new forums are here.   It will take a little getting used to ... it's certainly different than the old forums.  However, I've bounced around for a bit - and haven't gotten a single "Page Cannot be displayed message - which alone makes it worth the trouble!  As long as the new forums continue to work - I'm confident I can learn to be happy with the new format.  Now if I can just figure out how to control the word wrapping in the "Rich Text" dialogue box ......

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Oh my!

David,

You may very well have been right about the forum's overall resistance to change.  There sure are alot of negative comments out there about the new forum.  Personally, I've been able to find pretty much everything I've been looking for ... and haven't experienced any of the issues that made the old forum pretty much unusable (i.e., prolonged delays, page not found, unable to display, etc.)   Granted, the ads are definitely prominent ... and the general use of screen real estate certainly isn't how I would have designed it ... BUT, if performance is there and the only real differences are in where I need to go look to find features/function/controls .... I'm reasonably confident that I'll be a happy camper once I get used to the new look, especially if it consistently provides the response times I'm seeing thus far.

As far as the adds go - they seem to be most prominent on the general "home page" and on our individual "home pages".  However, they seem clustered at the top of the page such that once you scroll past 'em - they're not embedded around the "meat and potatoes" of the forum posts.   The half turn of the scroll wheel required to get past the ads ain't that big of a deal to me.  

At this point - my primary frustration is the mismatch between the width of the the "rich text" input screen and where the word wrap kicks in.   I'm not crazy about having to use the scroll bar to read a single line of text that I've input.   I've looked to see if I could find where that's a configurable parameter and haven't found it yet.  I've seen enough comments about it in other posts to make me think that it may get tweaked by the board administrators relatively quickly.

• Members

Everything is so tiny, and it's using only a center area..there's a huge amount of unused real estate on both sides of my screen.   Word wrap does finally wrap around with a slide bar, but when I backspace to re-type something, it just leaves me at the front of the page and I'm typing in an unseen area.  This IS going to take some getting used to... :(  I miss the Vbulletin style :(

• Moderators

I gotta say, seeing this forum listed under the GEAR FORUMS is a shame. But I think that will suit a lot of folks better. If this is where this forum has always supposed to have been, then my sincere apologies for misreading the intent of it.

My mistake.

Archived